Crossmember problem

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Crossmember problem

Im putting a 350/350 combo in my 64 f85.I got the engine mounted and bolted to the tranny. The problem im having now is that i can only bolt the cross member to the frame, or bolt it to the transmission and the driver side of the frame.So im wondering if anyone had this problem or if i might have the wrong cross member? Any help would be appreciated
Old September 27th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Can you at least get one bolt in the frame with the tranny bolted up? I have heard up people drilling one new hole for the frame. I have not done this swap, but it would seem to me that this should be a bolt in. did you happen to use a long tail shaft trans instead of a "shorty"
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:15 PM

I can get both the driver side bolted in with it bolted to the transmission but no luck with the passenger side.I don't think i used the long tail shaft, because i got the drive shaft in with no problem ,and i think the th350 is the same length as the jetaway.
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Are the mounts in the same position on both trannys?
Old September 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Wasted
I can get both the driver side bolted in with it bolted to the transmission but no luck with the passenger side.I don't think i used the long tail shaft, because i got the drive shaft in with no problem ,and i think the th350 is the same length as the jetaway.
The short tail TH350 is the same length as the Junkaway and the mount is in the same place. The fact that the driveshaft fits says this is not the problem. How far off is the hole? Have you tried loosening everything up first to allow a little give in the system? Most importantly, did you use the correct motor mount holes in the block? There are three motor mount holes in a line on each side of the block. The full size cars (through 1976, anyway) use the front two of the three, the A-body cars (and all RWD from 77-90) use the back two. Of course, if the motor mounts were in the wrong holes, the driveshaft likely wouldn't fit either, so I suspect this isn't the problem. I think you just have a tolerance stackup issue. Loosen all the mount bolts, get everything started, then tighten the bolts.
Old September 28th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Try fitting the cross member into the frame holes and see how far off the holes (slots) are in it for the tranny mount. You can grind out the slots in the cross member for the trany mount a little if need be. Check everything else first, and use this as a last resort after being sure something else isn't possible. Use the big, thick washers under the tranny mount bolts to the cross member because of the slots.
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The short tail TH350 is the same length as the Junkaway and the mount is in the same place. The fact that the driveshaft fits says this is not the problem. How far off is the hole? Have you tried loosening everything up first to allow a little give in the system? Most importantly, did you use the correct motor mount holes in the block? There are three motor mount holes in a line on each side of the block. The full size cars (through 1976, anyway) use the front two of the three, the A-body cars (and all RWD from 77-90) use the back two. Of course, if the motor mounts were in the wrong holes, the driveshaft likely wouldn't fit either, so I suspect this isn't the problem. I think you just have a tolerance stackup issue. Loosen all the mount bolts, get everything started, then tighten the bolts.
The holes are about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch off. Would loosening all the mounts let it move that much? The mounts are in the right place so no problems there. I think i might have to do what run suggested
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:26 PM

I imagine that if everything were biased to the rear you would have about that much give. Usually when I was swapping something out it was one or the other, and I just started farting around with this stuff again after at least ten years. I would at least try it, Joe knows his stuff. You are close enough that I would be automatically be looking at mounts and trying to jimmy stuff forward.
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by csstrux
I imagine that if everything were biased to the rear you would have about that much give. Usually when I was swapping something out it was one or the other, and I just started farting around with this stuff again after at least ten years. I would at least try it, Joe knows his stuff. You are close enough that I would be automatically be looking at mounts and trying to jimmy stuff forward.
Im going to try what joe said before i start cutting the crossmember up. Most likely joe is right because he knows everything about Oldsmobile. I swear he should write a book.