A/C dryer install

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2020, 07:10 AM

A/C dryer install

I,m replacing the air dryer on my 71 Cutlass the old part is marked condenser side/ evaporator side my replacement is only marked flow with a arrow, does the flow go to the evaporator or condenser?
Old May 30th, 2020, 07:20 AM

Flow direction in the air conditioning system is from the condenser to the evaporator.
Old May 30th, 2020, 08:11 AM
Rodney

AC system flow

I've attached an AC system diagram below. The flow is from compressor > condenser > drier > expansion valve > evaporator > POA > compressor.

Rodney

Old May 30th, 2020, 09:16 AM

Thanks very much appreciated!!!
Old May 30th, 2020, 09:43 AM

I was told that if I Type in Bold I'm yelling but I'm old and hard of hearing so that why I do. Lets see how my inside voice works. If you want to stay original with your Drier. Vintage Air can rebuild yours. I had mine done and you can't tell anything was done to it and the price was not bad.
I don't know what I typed here because I can't hear it!!
Old May 30th, 2020, 10:37 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Guy Fillinger
I was told that if I Type in Bold I'm yelling but I'm old and hard of hearing so that why I do. Lets see how my inside voice works. If you want to stay original with your Drier. Vintage Air can rebuild yours. I had mine done and you can't tell anything was done to it and the price was not bad.
I don't know what I typed here because I can't hear it!!
I did enjoy your humor.

But, seriously if you do have any difficulty clearly seeing text and/or the type of font, you can change your default sizing for viewing web pages in any of the Browsers i.e. Internet Explorer (Edge), Mozilla (Firefox), Chrome, etc. Have a look here:

How to change the font size in my browser

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 30th, 2020 at 10:39 AM. Reason: URL
Old April 10th, 2023, 05:40 PM

I have a really dumb question about installing the filter/dryer in a 1969 Vista Cruiser. When you install the new or refurbished dryer, how do you keep it sealed until you are ready to charge the system?

The dryer is attached the front of the condenser and the hoses wrap around to the front side. Seems to me to install the new one, it should be attached to the condenser, the hoses attached, and then the entire assembly installed in the car. BUT- that means the seals on the dryer are opened to attach the lines.

Attaching the lines AFTER installing the condenser plus dryer looks like it would require removal of the front grill parts, which I am loath to do since they are so brittle.

Any suggestions? Are there caps to put on the lines and just accept some ambient air gets in? Or do people wait until the very last minute, have every part together, and then install quickly? Even if done on a weekend, it'll be a few days before I can get it to the AC shop for charging.
Old April 11th, 2023, 10:02 AM

Don’t worry about the ambient air / humidity that is in the lines. Any moisture will be boiled off when a vacuum is pulled on the system prior to charging with refrigerant.