Audio butchery? ... my poor doors!

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2012, 10:50 AM

Audio butchery? ... my poor doors!

Here's the deal, I bought our Cutlass last summer for a "fun" car. The seller had a high-end stereo in her where I had him reduce the price by removing it. Problem? He hacked holes in the door cards. The door speaker lips hit your hand rolling down the windows. Grrrrrr.

The holes are cut for 51/4" speaks so they're not too horrid. I spotted some OPG kick panel kits that have pre-loaded, Kenwoods in 'em. I thought maybe as a winter project (read: bored), I could "fix" the doors. I see replacement door panel skins that include the lower carpet strips. Looks like I could patch the speaker holes in the door backing material and simply install the new cover skins? No-mo-holes!

The thought was, keep the doors clean or at least relocate the speakers. This thing has nasty, burbling Flowmasters and audio really isn't really a big thing. I may go stereo delete but a reasonable system is still on the list.

Anybody have their kick panel speakers? How about OPG door covers? Are they decent? Can anyone with Flowmaster 40's hear music?

Edit: Can anyone with Flowmaster 40's even hear?

Last edited by White_Knuckles; November 4th, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Olds engines through 40 series Flows IS music!!!!
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I dont want to hear anything but my 468 cubes of Oldsmobile muscle....Took my radio out years ago......;-)

Old November 4th, 2012, 12:32 PM

I have 40 series flowmasters on my convertible and as far as music is concerned I can't hear squat! Maybe someday I'll hook up an amp and etc but honestly I don't mind the sound of the engine especially when I hit the gas.
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:47 PM

I have the kick panel speakers with JVC speakers. Work fine but would not begin to please a serious audiophile. I have a parchement interior so the standard black looks correct-ish but have a slight clearance issue with the parking brake. Using a Custom Autosounds "retro" radio that is really underpowered so thinking about a small amp. Then again, audio is not a high priority with the top down, headers and thrush/dynomax exhaust.