71 Cutlass Trunk Light

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM
GM Enthusiast

71 Cutlass Trunk Light

Hi all. My 71 is missing the trunk light. Is it the same type as a 69 Cutlass? If anyone can post pics of one, that would be great. If anyone has one for sale, let me know what you want for it and what condition it is in. Thanks.
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM

From the research I was doing the supreme uses a different light than the S body so it wouldn't be the same as a 69.
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:40 AM

Darrell, I used this one from Fusick on my 72 Supreme. A very good price for a repro, esp. if there are other things you need to maximize the shipping cost. The wiring is not included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trunk light.JPG (28.3 KB, 65 views)
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:45 AM

this is the trunk light that was installed on my 71 when I got it. the car was very unmolested so I have little doubt it is the one from the factory. the car has U25 LUGG CMPT LMP on the build sheet.

looks like the trunk area is next on my to do list

Old December 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Blk71SX
this is the trunk light that was installed on my 71 when I got it.
That is the same one I had in my 72 when i got it, except some pices were missing, hence the need to replace it with the repro.
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:21 AM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. I will call Fusicks, thanks Rob for sending along the page link to their catalog.

It looks like it should have an orange wire attached to it. I am surprised that they would reproduce it and not add the wiring?
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:31 AM
GM Enthusiast

Another question for you both (Rob & 71SX), did all 71 Cutlass Supreme's have the "Oldsmobile" lettering across the trunklid? I have seen pictures of other cars with this lettering but it is not on my car. I am not sure if my lid was replaced years ago and I looked inside the lid and do not see any filled holes.
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
It looks like it should have an orange wire attached to it. I am surprised that they would reproduce it and not add the wiring?
The wiring harness was sold separately when i got mine. I did not need it, since my car had been equipped withthe lamps and mirrors package. The "harness" is nothing more than a long 18 or 16ga orange wire with a connector on both ends (becha you could make one real cheap!) On the factory trunk lamp, there was a wiring connector also - no permanent connection was made.

IF you wanted the package WITH the wiring, the parts place has the whole kit for $125! I did not think the wire was worth $87 extra...

I do have the Oldsmobile lettering across the bottom of the trunk lid. Does your lid show signs of missing paint underneath it or is it lacking the jacking decals? If so, it may have been replaced before. I think mine had been replaced once, as the decals were missing with absolutely no sign of them ever being there... Also, there is evidence of a minor rear end accident on the bumper.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; December 28th, 2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:33 AM

the orange wire is part of the chassis harness

Another question for you both (Rob & 71SX), did all 71 Cutlass Supreme's have the "Oldsmobile" lettering across the trunklid? I have seen pictures of other cars with this lettering but it is not on my car. I am not sure if my lid was replaced years ago and I looked inside the lid and do not see any filled holes.
mine does have the letters.

the bracket of the Fusick product is different from mine. mine just clips to the hinge support, no screws involved

Last edited by Blk71SX; December 28th, 2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:02 AM
GM Enthusiast

I do have the Oldsmobile lettering across the bottom of the trunk lid. Does your lid show signs of missing paint underneath it or is it lacking the jacking decals? If so, it may have been replaced before. I think mine had been replaced once, as the decals were missing with absolutely no sign of them ever being there... Also, there is evidence of a minor rear end accident on the bumper.
I am missing my stickers as well. I believe the rear bumper and trunk lid were replaced years ago, but I am not 100% sure. I would need to get a template to find the exact locations of the lettering. Would have to check to see if someone like Fusick's sells it.

this is the trunk light that was installed on my 71 when I got it. the car was very unmolested so I have little doubt it is the one from the factory. the car has U25 LUGG CMPT LMP on the build sheet.
I have not looked for the build sheet on mine, but I would have thought that a Cutlass Supreme, being the luxury model, would have it already as standard equipment.
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM
GM Enthusiast

the bracket of the Fusick product is different from mine. mine just clips to the hinge support, no screws involved
I would prefer to keep it original so I guess I will look for an original light for sale or make a clip for the reproduction.

IF you wanted the package WITH the wiring, the parts place has the whole kit for $125! I did not think the wire was worth $87 extra.
Holy crap! I think I could duplicate that wire for a lot less than $87 .
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:41 AM

I would prefer to keep it original so I guess I will look for an original light for sale or make a clip for the reproduction.
The screw goes into a hole already in the hinge bracket, no drilling required.

I have not looked for the build sheet on mine, but I would have thought that a Cutlass Supreme, being the luxury model, would have it already as standard equipment.
From what I remember seeing in one piece of the 72 sales lit, the Supreme convertible did come standard with the mirrors and lamp package, perhaps because there was no other dome light...

I am missing my stickers as well. I believe the rear bumper and trunk lid were replaced years ago, but I am not 100% sure. I would need to get a template to find the exact locations of the lettering. Would have to check to see if someone like Fusick's sells it.
The assy manual should have the drill pattern, but not sure how complete it is.
Fusick has the trunk lettering, too.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; December 28th, 2009 at 08:49 AM.