67 Cutlass HVAC components

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2014, 02:01 PM

67 Cutlass HVAC components

I have a 67 Cutlass with an LS conversion. The stock kick panels were replaced to utilize speakers enclosures, and when looking under the dash I noticed the right (passenger) side cowl vent (not used on A/C cars) had either a heater core or an evaporator inside the cowl area, covering the oopening area. I am pretty familiar with early A body cars, but this has me stumped. Were components originally installed there, better yet, how? All the original HVAC has been removed, will be replaced with Vintage Air components soon.
I am stumped...

John

Last edited by 19sixty5; April 16th, 2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 19sixty5
I have a 67 Cutlass with an LS conversion. The stock kick panels were replaced to utilize speakers enclosures, and when looking under the dash I noticed the right (passenger) side cowl vent (not used on A/C cars) had either a heater core or an evaporator inside the cowl area, covering the oopening area. I am pretty familiar with early A body cars, but this has me stumped. Were components originally installed there, better yet, how? All the original HVAC has been removed, will be replaced with Vintage Air components soon.
I am stumped...

John
John,

I suspect you are seeing the original evaporator. It is accessable by removing the right fender and liner(prolly why it's still there). The under hood portion has the plastic cover and POA valve on it. Unless there is a new kit, Vintage Air does not admit to having a direct fit for that car. I did a kitbash of V.A. kits and parts on my 67, and the final product worked out great. I made several posts here during the project, and have a photo journal as well. Follow the link in my sig line if you're interested.
Tim
Old April 17th, 2014, 03:05 PM

I suspected it was the evap, but never saw one there before. I guess most of my experience with GM AC was 1969 and later. I had followed your thread on the install of the Vintage A/C and will refer to them. I will have to do some creative work as this is an LS conversion.

Thanks for the info!
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:29 PM

I have yet to have my 67 apart, but I know on later years that's the controller for the recirc door behind there.