66-67 cruise control set up

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2009, 02:49 AM

66-67 cruise control set up

Hi guys. Anybody have cruise control that can take a few pics of the linkages between the cruise control and carb. I want to get mine working and would like to see how its supposed to be set up and make sure I have all the parts before hand.
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM
car guy

Wow that must be a rare option
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Oldsdruid

It's not Cruise Control as most of us know it. I think A-bodies were still using that Dana electric motor cruise unit then; I know they switched to the AC vacuum transducer type in 68 (not a great improvement either IMHO). The big cars and Toronados used the electric motor type thru 68 and then switched to Dana's vacuum governor type, which is still an excellent unit. If they could only have adapted resume to those...
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM

You are right rocket, it is not a vacuum system. It has all electrical parts inside as I recall from removing the cover years ago to take a peek. The cover also has a green decal on it with "Perfect Circle" on it...what ever that means. This thing is on my 67 Toro but not hooked up with the linkages. I was hoping someone out there had a set up intact that could take a few pics and see how the thing goes together. I think I have the links from a parts car but not sure how they are supposed to go together. John
Old January 11th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Registered

If anybody has an illustrated parts catalog it should have drawings of those units and the linkage. Mine only goes back to '69 but has all that, the factory assembly manual does too. I have the '71 AC unit and it works fine, I'm just happy it does it's job and I can handle all the hard work you have to do accelerating a little and pressing the button because it doesn't have resume.
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM
2 '66 98's

I have a '66 parts book but you would play hell trying to assemble that linkage from what they show you in there. The actual unit looks very similar to mine for the 98 but the mounting and linkage is altogether different. There must be somebody out there who has a working model. If necessary, wait for the summer shows unless you are in the sunny south. "Perfect Circle" was the manufacturer, as in piston rings, etc.

Last edited by bigoldscruiser; January 11th, 2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:12 AM

Thanks cruiser...that is my problem with both the maintenance and assembly manuals...not real clear on how it all goes together. I am thinking too that there must be a bracket or something and maybe more than one bracket to support the mechanisms. Possibly one bolting to the intake area and another one somewhere farther down towards the actuator. John
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:21 AM

Thanks 555...might be that my assembly manual is missing the right page for this. Good tip on the illustrated book too...I'll see if I can find one. John