1977 Cutlass Vs. Cutlass S Vs. Cutlass Salon (Help!)

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2021, 08:36 PM

Question 1977 Cutlass Vs. Cutlass S Vs. Cutlass Salon (Help!)

Hello all.

I just recently bought my 1977 Cutlass S.
I've been doing some reading online and trying to find some good resources for ordering parts (I'm not going for an all original restorations so I have some "wiggle room" so long as thing fit.

My problem is there seems to be a lot of mislabelled cars. I've read that the Cutlass S was the sport model, in between the base Cutlass and more luxurious Cutlass Supreme, I've read that the "S" is not for Sport, but for Salon. I'm confused, I want to make sure when I order something I order the right thing (I'm in Nova Scotia Canada so if I cannot find things locally and I have to order internationally I want to make sure I do it right the first time)

Can anyone clear this up for me?

My Dad was an ace at these things and my plan was to get my Olds (always dreamed up a '68/69 442 but I'm thrilled with my '77) and work on it with him and get him to teach me some more in depth stuff, sadly I lost my Dad this last year so even basic questions like this one I don't have a "go to" person anymore so I'm a beginner "mechanic" trying to learn as I go, I just want to make sure I'm starting on the right foot.

Thanks! I've attached a couple of pictures from the for sale ad. It's in the shop now getting some work done because I didn't want to start too far over my head but I have a list of items d like to do myself once I know which parts I can buy that'll fit without rerouting things.

Old June 14th, 2021, 08:50 PM

I don't know the answer to your "which model" question; however, welcome to the site where some knowledgeable (that's an understatement!) people enjoy Oldsmobiles. Your car looks sharp.

Sorry for the loss of your Dad.

Again, welcome!
Old June 14th, 2021, 09:33 PM
Oldsdruid

That's a Cutlass S coupe. All the fastbacks were either base Cutlass or Cutlass S. S is simply a higher trim level.

Supreme, Salon and Brougham coupes have notchback roof with smaller opera windows.

There are some 74-77 S coupes with fastback roofline and the small opera windows. These are usually Y76 optioned dealer marketing group cars. 77 had a stainless tiara roof band as part of that option.

Your best way to order parts is probably to use the car's VIN. The VIN defines the car series, body style and factory-installed engine.

Last edited by rocketraider; June 14th, 2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old June 15th, 2021, 02:33 AM

Nice car and sorry for your loss. BTW, I believe that's a 76.
Old June 15th, 2021, 05:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Other than for trim parts, there is no mechanical difference between a Cutlass, Cutlass S, Cutlass Salon, or Cutlass Supreme that year. They are the same car, same frame, same suspension, same brakes, same drivetrain, etc, etc. The only differences are cosmetic and what equipment came standard in the base price vs optional at extra cost. Many parts vendors think there is some mysterious difference between these models. That's a testament to the Olds marketing department that they could make people think that there was a fundamental difference among different nameplates all built on the same platform. There is not. Don't lose a lot of sleep over it.

And FYI, the VIN will tell you exactly what model it is. Nothing else matters.

Old June 16th, 2021, 06:51 AM

I had a 76 Salon, and it actually had "Salon" spelled out on the badge, so "S" is not the same...
My Salon was more dressed up than a base model, but not as much as a Supreme.
Mine had the 1/4" vinyl roof, big cushy vinyl seats, but not the swivel seats. It also had manual locks and windows. Not sure if you had to get the Supreme to get power locks and windows.
This was waaaay back in highschool, so my memory is rusty.
I know visually, there was a Supreme running around town that I couldn't tell the difference between it and mine without seeing the badge on the side. Actually walked out to it in the mall parking lot one on accident thinking it was my car. LOL
Old June 16th, 2021, 09:20 AM
Oldsdruid

Hierarchy starting at the bottom: Cutlass, Cutlass S, Supreme, Supreme Brougham, Salon.

Salon was a high-line trim level but had suspension and handling mods over the other four. It was designed to be a Mercedes killer but the trouble was, even though it could easily go head to head with the target, American Mercedes market couldn't get past it being a GM product. American domestic market didn't understand what Salon was meant to be either.
Old June 16th, 2021, 12:06 PM

Thanks so much everyone! This has been very informative!
Old June 16th, 2021, 12:53 PM

Just to combat the creep of ignorance, one of the trim levels is pronounced "braaahm", not as below.

Old June 16th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Oldsdruid

I've heard more than one individual say "broo-gam". My Pontiac bud and I often refer to his 66 Bonneville Brougham that way.
Old June 16th, 2021, 01:19 PM

The only issues you might encounter would be with the side roof rail weathestrips. Your car is a 37 body style and the Salon was a 57 body style.
Old July 8th, 2021, 01:35 AM

Nice car in and out !

Looks to be a 1977 to me unless someone swapped the nose. Or am I missing another trait... ? All 1976 Ss including 442 optioned ones come with a slanted nose. For 1977 Ss had formal squared off noses save for the 1977 442s.
Old January 9th, 2022, 07:03 PM

1976 front nose changed from slant nose due to accident? I'm saying 76 because dash and swivel buckets with hard to find correct swivel bucket seat belts. I don't believe the swivel buckets were available for the 77 olds. I know you could still get them in the 77 Monte Carlo though. Of course it's an old car and has obviously been changed from original. Cool car.
Old January 11th, 2022, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC
Nice car in and out !

Looks to be a 1977 to me unless someone swapped the nose. Or am I missing another trait... ?
The OP said it was a 1977.

Old January 11th, 2022, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by TRFREE
The only issues you might encounter would be with the side roof rail weathestrips. Your car is a 37 body style and the Salon was a 57 body style.
Side windows are different sizes too, hence the different weather strips.
Old January 12th, 2022, 08:49 AM

Hey all,

After spending some time here and elsewhere I can confidently say that my car is, definitely, a 76.5.

The previous owner put the interior of a 76 in a 77 body, I do believe the nose piece itself is from a 76 (but I have a spare I also got in the sale which I believe is the proper '77 nose). She's a bit of a frankenstein, but that's just the way I like it

She's not perfect but still turns heads, and I don't see this car as a financial investment so I'm not worried about getting it back to stock, this one is purely an investment in my personal enjoyment!
Old January 12th, 2022, 08:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Legally your car is whatever the VIN says it is. Swapping parts doesn't change that.
Old January 26th, 2022, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by T. Hatcher
Hey all,

After spending some time here and elsewhere I can confidently say that my car is, definitely, a 76.5.

The previous owner put the interior of a 76 in a 77 body, I do believe the nose piece itself is from a 76 (but I have a spare I also got in the sale which I believe is the proper '77 nose). She's a bit of a frankenstein, but that's just the way I like it

She's not perfect but still turns heads, and I don't see this car as a financial investment so I'm not worried about getting it back to stock, this one is purely an investment in my personal enjoyment!
Do you have the 77 grille? Can i buy them from you? Oddly enough I too have a 77 with a 76 dash and the half of the 76 grille. oh and i got swivel seats too. I thought it was a clone until i ordered the dealer invoice. but yea wanna sell the grille 🙏🏽👀