1972 Cutlass Hurst Dual Gate Switches?

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Smile 1972 Cutlass Hurst Dual Gate Switches?

Hello-

I am converting a column shift auto tranny to console with the Hurst Dual Gate shifter. Model year of my car is 1972. Is there a switch I need to put on my shifter for reverse and neutral? I know on 1970 models had this, but what did they do for 1972? Also, is there a pointer that is supposed to go under the shift indicator lens on the top plate that moves? Otherwise the light would be shining under the top plate in all gears? Pictures and part numbers would be great if anyone has them. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Jesse
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:44 PM

Hi Jesse, I think I missed welcoming you to the site, so Welcome!

I'm pretty sure that in 1971-72 the neutral safety switch was located at the bottom of the column just like the column shift cars. Its been a while since I messed with a console but think there was a plastic strip that moved with the lever to shine the light just on the gear that the car was in. Maybe someone has some pictures they can post of that. John
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:32 PM

Switch stays on the column. No pointer in the shift plate.

dualgate.jpg

This might help get you started:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...dual-gate.html
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I'm pretty sure that in 1971-72 the neutral safety switch was located at the bottom of the column just like the column shift cars.
Correct. Since the Feds required the shifter to be locked with the ignition switch, even floor shift cars retained the backdrive linkage from the trans to the steering column. Since this linkage was already there, Olds kept a single location (and thus a single wiring configuration) for the neutral safety switch.
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:06 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone have a picture illustrating the NSS bracket setup? I am adapting in a dual gate and removing the backdrive. Got the NSS and the bracket between the switch and the shifter bracket. That's clearly not enough to connect them. Is there another bracket or link that goes between the NSS and the shifter cable arm?
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:51 PM

Double bump with a pretty please?
I'm convinced Parts Place sent me the wrong switch, but I still can't fathom how these brackets and the (correct) switch are supposed to go together.

Thanks!
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Nevermind! Found some good pictures at:
http://www.thegoodoldsdays.com/realoldsmobile.asp
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:38 PM

Why are you removing the backdrive? It's a safety thing so you can't start the car in gear or steel it without removing the lock cylinder.
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Hey, it doesn't have to make sense.

I'm not particularly worried about theft, nor the safety aspects of the backdrive although I do recognize them. removing it makes the underhood a little cleaner and simpler. I'm also doing a custom rewire, so using this switch makes what I want to do a little easier. I've also heard it has a tendency to jamb and break, so it'll probably be a poor choice in the end.