1970 Cutlass S Factory Options Question

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2008, 04:44 PM

1970 Cutlass S Factory Options Question

Hey guys. Am about to get started on my 70 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe and was curious about what options would or would not have been available. Could one have ordered the Cutlass S with any option available in 1970? Reason I am asking is I plan on keeping the car as an S but want to build with some options that we more commonly see on a 442.

For instance I plan on putting in a 455 with the OAI hood but according to my spec and feature manual for 1970 the S was available with the 350 w/OAI (W31) or the 455 with, i assume, the standard hood (L33). Could it have been special ordered with the 455 w/OAI?

Bottom line is, it's a 1970 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe and that's what I want it to be when I'm done. Any input appreciated.
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by sklbndt
...... Reason I am asking is I plan on keeping the car as an S but want to build with some options that we more commonly see on a 442....... I plan on putting in a 455 with the OAI hood but according to my spec and feature manual for 1970 the S was available with the 350 w/OAI (W31) or the 455 with, i assume, the standard hood (L33). Could it have been special ordered with the 455 w/OAI?

Bottom line is, it's a 1970 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe and that's what I want it to be when I'm done. Any input appreciated.
Since it's your car, you can do whatever you want. I'm pretty sure that you could get the Cutlass S with either a 350 or 455 in 1970. My reasoning: my car is a 1972 and it was available as options then.
One thing that's really nice about your 1970, the W-25 hood is available with the correct metal liner and fibreglass top from Parts Place for about $730.00. I think they have a total conversion kit for the 1970 models if you go to their website. PS Make sure it's the Parts Place in Chicago, or you'll end up at a VW website. Heck you can dress it up with lots of options.

I scanned the 1970-75 options but they might not be easy to read on the attachment. If you can - bonus. If not, pm me your email and I'll send it to you that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Options_0002.jpg (61.7 KB, 60 views)
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Allen, thanks for the reply. I have the options listing. Just trying to make sure that my model could have been ordered with anything one may have wanted from that list. When I'm done I don't want anyone to be able to tell me that the car was not available with what I have on it. Even though it won't be numbers matching I want it to be a true Cutlass S.
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by sklbndt
Allen, thanks for the reply. I have the options listing. Just trying to make sure that my model could have been ordered with anything one may have wanted from that list. When I'm done I don't want anyone to be able to tell me that the car was not available with what I have on it. Even though it won't be numbers matching I want it to be a true Cutlass S.
That's pretty much what's happening with mine. We're on the same page with different model years.
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM

Just for clarification on The Parts Place W-25 hood. The underside, while metal like the factory, doesn't have the same pattern to the metal as the originals. Shouldn't be a big deal unless you are adamant about the car looking 100% factory.

Also---there were a lot of reports early on about the "fit", etc of that hood. Apparently the glass on the end of the nose wasn't molded far enough down (where the '70 hood "tooth" bolts on) and a lot of them were returned. You might ask if this problem has been resolved. Even if it hasn't a decent bodyman could add the material where it is needed withuot racking up a huge bill. The price on that hood is pretty darn nice..especially for a glass-0ver-steel version. I can't recall what the feedback was on the overall fit of the hood (ie--how the edges of the hood lined up with the tops of the fenders, etc.).

You could also try calling Thornton to see if they have gotten any closer to restarting production on their excellent repro hoods (higher price but worth it if it's made by Thornton).

http://www.tntmusclecars.com/
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

To get back to the original question, the W25 O.A.I. option was available on any 4bbl V8 engine in the Cutlass S that year. You got the hood, the air cleaner, and the adapter to mate to the hood. W25 was a mandatory part of the W30 and W31 packages, but it was also available separately from the factory (and also could have been dealer installed).