1969 Cutlass passenger door mirror

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2022, 11:40 AM

1969 Cutlass passenger door mirror

Hello all,
A couple months ago I purchased a 1969 Cutlass S convertible and love the car. When backing into my garage I miss having a passenger side door mirror. I realize they were an option back in 1969, but the reproduction mirrors do not match the driver's side. Does anyone know if the one I attached pics of stock? If so, does anyone have a matching passenger side mirror for sale?
Thanks for any help and I love the information in this Forum.

Old June 7th, 2022, 12:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

There never was a passenger side mirror that matched the large remote control mirror on the driver's side. That's just life. FYI, the passenger side mirror wasn't actually a factory option, it was a dealer-installed kit. In any case, either learn to like the smaller manual mirror on the passenger side or do without, unfortunately.
Old June 7th, 2022, 12:32 PM

Thank you for the information.
Old June 7th, 2022, 12:35 PM
Randy C.

You have the optional remotely operated driver side mirror and those were not produced for the passenger side. The only mirror you could get for the passenger side was the one that looks like the standard mirror for the driver side and that passenger side mirror was called a "dealer accessory", not an option. Back in the day, hardly anyone had a passenger side mirror but here's the interesting thing. If you ordered your car with the optional driver side remote mirror, it would still be "correct" for a person to go to the dealer and have the passenger side non-remote "dealer accessory" mirror installed. They don't look the same but it would still be correct for that era.

I have a '69 4-4-2 convertible that came with the driver side remote mirror but I changed it to the standard mirror so it would match the passenger side "dealer accessory" mirror that I installed when I restored the car. I'm with you on this - I like having that extra view out the passenger side when I'm backing. I had to buy new reproduction door panels so I didn't have to concern myself with the hole left by the remote mirror stick that was in the old driver side door panel. I just wanted both mirrors to match.

The reproduction passenger side mirror is a good match to the original passenger side mirror if you chose to go with a passenger side mirror (I got mine both of my side mirrors from Fusick). And again, it wouldn't be "wrong" to have mismatched mirrors, at least for the '68-'69 Olds A-body model years. That's just the way it was back then.

Randy C.
'68 4-4-2 convertible (Best In Class at the 2011 OCA Nationals in Reno NV)
'69 4-4-2 convertible (a nice driver)
Old June 7th, 2022, 01:12 PM

Thank you Randy for all your information. I will have to decide which route to go because I have become accustomed to having both mirrors.
Old June 7th, 2022, 04:29 PM

Braun, if you need it, I have a template for mounting hole location for the passenger door. I'm happy to send it your way, or to post it here with dimensions so you can recreate it "life sized."
Old June 7th, 2022, 06:01 PM

Thanks to all that have responded. I see the related thread is below and when I purchase a mirror will install with measurements from the driver's side to get it right. Thanks again and the people on this forum are Awesome!