The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Music with some meaning for you.

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Old School Olds

Music with some meaning for you.

Kinda off the wall but I thought I might start a thread for music that may have some meaning for you, past or present.
Bob Segar has been a constant in my life since high school and I finally got to see him in concert last March after a year
postponement for back surgery for the man. 74 and rocked it BTW.

Please feel free to post any music that does it for for you and helps you through this thing called life.

Old June 26th, 2020, 04:55 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

From 1972, sadly not much has changed. Never got to see Timmy Thomas do this live, but saw Steve Winwood perform it a few years back at the venerable Tower Theater in Upper Darby PA - and I highly recommend that version, from his “greatest hits live” album - it’s awesome.

Old June 26th, 2020, 05:59 PM

I saw Seager a couple years ago, got to check that off my list. Assuming this virus crap ends sometime, I’m hoping Elton John resumes his tour. I’d love to check off a AC/DC concert, I’m guessing that won’t happen.
Old June 26th, 2020, 07:17 PM
Running On Empty

I was raised in Illinois. My grandmother (Dad's Mom) was from Peoria. REO Speedwagon members like myself went to Univ of Illinois and formed their band @ U of I. I've seen them a dozen times. My first car ('67 4-4-2), another car ('72 4-4-2) and current car ('71 CS) were inspired (so-to-speak) by their namesake R.E.Olds. They bring back many fond memories.

Old June 26th, 2020, 07:20 PM

This one gets my adrenaline GOING!!!!! Deep Purple, Highway Star. 'Specially blazing down the boulevard in my 4 speed...

Old June 26th, 2020, 07:28 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Bob Segar has been a constant in my life...
I've never seen Bob, love everything he has ever done.
Old June 26th, 2020, 07:44 PM

Well,
I'm huge music fan, and enjoy most music, I was a teen during the late 60's and enjoyed Led Zeplin, Pink Floyd, Grand Funk Railroad, Santana and of course the Beatles, also a huge Roy Orbison fan.
However being born in Chicago I am a huge Blues fan , Buddy Guy, etc... so much Rock and roll music rooted in blues music Zeplin leaned heavily on Robert Johnson.
Both my sisters were older than me so I was also exposed to a lot of Doo Wop music the Drifters, The Platters etc... also enjoy the classic Sinatra tunes, Nat king Cole,
enjoy Jazz also, I can not listen to Rap , like automobiles my spectrum is wide I like all different kinds !!!
Old June 26th, 2020, 08:03 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Hey Norm - this ones for you, you can tune a piano but you can’t tuna fish!

How about these three guitarists... can you name them? From a triple bill a few years ago one - of the best concerts I’ve ever seen.

Old June 26th, 2020, 08:18 PM
Running On Empty

Looks like Gary Richrath (RIP) on the left...darn, I know those other two. Can't think of their names.
Old June 26th, 2020, 08:26 PM
Running On Empty

Tommy Shaw far right......
Old June 26th, 2020, 08:26 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Looks like Gary Richrath (RIP) on the left...darn, I know those other two. Can't think of their names.

Don Felder and Tommy Shaw. Don opened the show that night with an hours worth of his 25 years of Eagles songs, then Tommy Shaw and Styx with more great memories, followed up by REO speedwagon.
Felt like it was 1979 again!
Old June 26th, 2020, 08:27 PM

As far as REO goes, my all time favorite is the live version of Ridin' the Storm Out. Heard it first in the 80s and it's been one of favorite songs of theirs ever since then.

This particular version is the best, in my opinion,

Last edited by Fun71; June 26th, 2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old June 26th, 2020, 08:32 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Great job Norm on Tommy Shaw but I think the guy on the left is Dave Amato. I don’t know REO as well as I should past Kevin Cronin. But they still can rock it, almost 50 years past their prime - just like our cars do 👏
Old June 26th, 2020, 08:34 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Originally Posted by Fun71
As far as REO goes, my all time favorite is the live version of Ridin' the Storm Out. Heard it first in the 80s and it's been one of favorite songs of theirs ever since then.

This particular version is the best, in my opinion,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurWYoB1XsQ

Asolutely agree!
Old June 26th, 2020, 08:34 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by vCode442
Don Felder and Tommy Shaw. Don opened the show that night with an hours worth of his 25 years of Eagles songs, then Tommy Shaw and Styx with more great memories, followed up by REO speedwagon.
Felt like it was 1979 again!
Felder....oh yeah. Nice show! I did several G3 tours w/ Satriani (of course), Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen & Eric Johnson. Those were nice. Tons of Buddy Guy, Adrian Belew I have known personally since his days w/ FZ. Adrian lives in Franklin, TN now.
Old June 26th, 2020, 08:50 PM
Running On Empty

First time I heard Ridin The Storm Out was the summer of '73 at a place called the Ivan Hoe Dude Ranch (Huntley, IL). It was in fact, one of the largest ranches in Northern Illinois; and, once each month they opened it up to live concerts to local bands from around WI, MI, IL, IA, etc. So, we had all known REO for some time and the rumor mill was circulating about this new tune Ridin The Storm Out & they were going to check it out on us that night (some weekend at the dude ranch in the summer). And, they played it....it was a great night. I fell asleep passed out under my '67 4-4-2 from drinking too many bottles of rock-gut Boones Farm wine. It got colder than hell that night. I turned on the car to keep warm. All I could think of was about this cousin of my Dad's who committed suicide in his garage with a water hose shoved up the tailpipe of his car and into the window of the car with all the windows closed. They found him in his garage dead. So, I'm laying in my front seat of my 4-4-2 stone @$$ drunk thinking of this with the car running. The next morning I'm under my car next to the exhaust pipe to keep warm with the car running. I CANNOT make this $HIT up!
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:00 PM
Running On Empty

Satriani & me 2016 Atlanta

Old June 26th, 2020, 09:02 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Great stuff Norm, and hats off to Bob Seger and the Silver bullet band Live Bullet. Wore out my eight track player with that - especially Travelin man /beautiful loser. Pioneer supertuner + Jensen triaxials + Craig equalizer power booster = loud!

Led Zeppelin physical graffiti. Frampton comes alive. UFO strangers in the night. Thin Lizzy live and dangerous. AC/DC back in black. Pink Floyd animals. Rolling stones some girls. The Who live at Leeds. Deep purple made in Japan. The Clash London calling. Just to name a few of my other lo-fi eight tracks.
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:02 PM

bob segar.man.sad story of a rare old beast.buddy bought a 70 toro gt on a thursday,we went to a big *** party on friday.coming home bout 2 in the morning had bob just blaring on the 8-track.turned off on a gravel road.well this road had a hard 90 degree to the right with banking,then 1/4 mile later hard 90 to the left also with banking so you could fly down this gravel.well we get thru the first one,buddy driving then gets about 3/4ths the way thru the second and punches it and we instantly fly into the ditch.so bobs still rocking and we are cruising in the ditch and come to a field driveway so i say go for the gap between ditch and drive and we pop up on the road,buddy punches it again and bam instantly back in the ditch then BAM and car on it's side stopped dead.bob still blaring away.we thought WTF.took all 3 of us to push that door open.thought oh well we are screwed might as well head to country kitchen for some early morning breakfast.went back after we sobered up and the toro was hung up on a huge concrete culvert,got it pulled off and drug it home and he sold it to me right then and there.i stilll have the engine.
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:11 PM
Running On Empty

That's one heck of a Bob Seger story Cherokee!
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:17 PM
Running On Empty

Mid- to late '60s were a very tumultuous time. Beatles, waiting on our draft number, Rolling Stones, Three Dog Night, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Frank Zappa, Pure Prairie League, CSN&Y, Ian Anderson, Janice, Jimmie, Mamma's & Pappa's, Donovan............

Old June 26th, 2020, 09:30 PM
same but different

So many good band and songs, many choices.

Old June 26th, 2020, 09:33 PM
same but different

That player on the left is Dave Amato.
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:36 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by don71
That player on the left is Dave Amato.
Agree, it looked like Gary to me at first.
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:37 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Originally Posted by don71
So many good band and songs, many choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcY_enzwmI

I like to rock too! - saw April wine open up for Styx at the spectrum in Philly in the fall of 79.
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:41 PM
Running On Empty

OMG, I haven't heard anything from April Wine in a gazillion years. I remember the song Gypsy Queen(?) was it?
Old June 26th, 2020, 09:41 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Mid- to late '60s were a very tumultuous time. Beatles, waiting on our draft number, Rolling Stones, Three Dog Night, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Frank Zappa, Pure Prairie League, CSN&Y, Ian Anderson, Janice, Jimmie, Mamma's & Pappa's, Donovan............

https://youtu.be/Hd3oqvnDKQk

Never got to see Neil but sure listened to a lot of harvest at college and blew a few speakers jamming to rust never sleeps and live rust in high school. If you haven’t listened to weld lately, crank it up.
Old June 26th, 2020, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by solly
...enjoyed Led Zeplin, Pink Floyd, Grand Funk Railroad, Santana and of course the Beatles...
Up to that point, I also enjoyed mainstream music. After that point in time, it became unbearable. I then sought the pleasures of music which wasn't commercialized (Sorry, Bob Seeger fans ) by record producing cartels. Such obscure bands had to work much harder, doing live gigs in sometimes utterly trashy dives.
Having spent my earlier life in the Metro Detroit area, there wasn't much of a choice for attending places where live non-mainstream was playing.
This was more the direction of which I was pointed to. I saw the first band at Cobo Hall in Detroilet. The second payed at least one visit, without my knowlege:

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; June 26th, 2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old June 27th, 2020, 04:44 AM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
This one gets my adrenaline GOING!!!!! Deep Purple, Highway Star. 'Specially blazing down the boulevard in my 4 speed...
As far as blasting down the road, this one does it for me. Great stories guys and some good music.
Old June 27th, 2020, 04:53 AM
Old School Olds

OMG, I haven't heard anything from April Wine in a gazillion years. I remember the song Gypsy Queen(?) was it?
Here ya go Norm.
Old June 27th, 2020, 05:03 AM
Old School Olds

Another for rolli'n down the highway. Love this 'un!

Old June 27th, 2020, 05:05 AM
Running On Empty

Here ya go Norm.
That's the one!
Old June 27th, 2020, 05:33 AM
Running On Empty

A slew of great stuff I enjoyed by this good 'ole boy....

Old June 27th, 2020, 05:48 AM

Killian, I'm the same way regarding the corporate sound. I HATE I HEART Radio!! Back in the 70's and 80's Denver/Front Range had three competing independent hard rock radio stations, KILO, KAZY, and KBPI. KILO is still independent, KAZY was swallowed up by KBPI, then KBPI was engulfed by I HEART Radio - UGH (but they still rock occasionally) We had one of the best concert scenes around, the stations were always competing to bring in the acts they played. I've been to more than 150 rock concerts over the years and have 146 of the ticket stubs still.

the Plasmatics! DAYUM!! So cool to see Wendy O.! I missed their one trip through Denver in my HS daze.. I love her scratchy vocals - fit the music so well! I never heard of the Cramps, but I see I need to do some more research.

TrueBlue, I saw Blackfoot open for the WHO just after Keith Moon passed.

(I need to figure out how to embed the vids like you guys are doing, that's cool)
Old June 27th, 2020, 05:52 AM
Old School Olds

Just google your artist & music, copy url video, and paste on the thread. Norm may be able to explain it better. Good luck​​​​​​, I' am enjoying the thread and stories.
I remember as a kid living out in the country, if I wanted to listen to ANY rock and roll, it would have to be in the evening on 50,000 watt, KOMA out of Oklahoma.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; June 27th, 2020 at 05:58 AM.
Old June 27th, 2020, 06:15 AM

Thanks, Tru-Blue, here's my first attempt:

Here are The Donnas doing an Old School KISS Song:

Hmmm, not working the way I tried. I tried copying the URL in the address bar on the Deep Purple post. Then on this one I right-clicked in the video itself and selected

My Preview still shows a link. When I post, will it be the embedded video? let's see...

YAY! Thanks again Tru-Blue!!

Last edited by BackInTheGame; June 27th, 2020 at 06:15 AM. Reason: add a Thank you!
Old June 27th, 2020, 07:16 AM
Old School Olds

That's the way, good job. I think I was 12 when I saw Black Oak Arkansas open for Deep Purple at the Mariad in OKC. Good times.

Old June 27th, 2020, 07:31 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Back to the tower theater Upper Darby PA circa 1979, AC/DC opens for UFO. Michael Schenker has left but UFO still rocks - as did Malcolm and Angus! RIP Bon Scott.

From 1980 UFO album No Place To Run, produced by George Martin - yup that same George Martin from the Beatles

Last edited by vCode442; June 27th, 2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old June 27th, 2020, 08:22 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

That's the way, good job. I think I was 12 when I saw Black Oak Arkansas open for Deep Purple at the Mariad in OKC. Good times.

https://youtu.be/UAKCR7kQMTQ
Almost forgot how great this song is - used to crank it down 202 South, West Chester to Wilmington DE - thanks for posting TB!
Old June 27th, 2020, 08:25 AM
O'smobile

Back in Black

I found this cassette in the glove of the Black/Black '68 when I bought it originally. It is significant because I didn't have a project car until that moment. It felt good to be back in black.

Quick Reply: Music with some meaning for you.