The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

That's Different

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2023, 01:47 PM
Running On Empty

That's Different

Old September 12th, 2023, 02:00 PM

Why the change? Makes it more difficult to access PM's and other messages.
Old September 12th, 2023, 02:14 PM
Shoveling Snow

Maybe I'm just too set in my ways but I'd vote to change it back.
Old September 12th, 2023, 02:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

What genius came up with this idea? I suspect this is something being shoved down our throats by Internet Brands.
Old September 12th, 2023, 02:23 PM

Click the Bell beside your name, you can access your Message Boxes easily from there.
Old September 12th, 2023, 02:49 PM
Old School Olds

I was wondering WTH happened. The wife ran Avast and I figured it tossed some cookies.
A heads up would've been nice. Thanks for the post Chief.
Old September 12th, 2023, 03:05 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
I was wondering WTH happened. The wife ran Avast and I figured it tossed some cookies.
A heads up would've been nice. Thanks for the post Chief.
Ageed on a heads up would have been nice, But so would a BJ everyday. Can you imagine the pushback?? one thing is certain... "Change"
Thanks Norm for the post I do not see it being too tough to get use to especially with all us helping each other, cause thats what we do.

I found the Dark Mode option, trying it for awhile, I liked that feature on other sites
Old September 12th, 2023, 03:44 PM
Running On Empty

From my perspective I see this site (CO) as a launching ground/test bed/training environment for LLC dba Internet Brands developers. Since the larger revenue generating LLC dba Internet Brands sites undoubtedly require a modest "go live" environment, IMO, they most likely move some of their development test bed material to this (live) CO site & some of their other (live) more or less non-revenue generating sites. LLC dba Internet Brands is large, it's their environment and this site (CO) is 100% completely free. With the free status, comes some modest shortcomings at times. I will have to say, the back-end (DB=Database) and the front-end (Web-facing UI [User Interface]) operate quite seamlessly. Their back-end DB servers & web servers perform an outstanding job of providing an excellent user experience. Images are rendered almost instantaneously, email (subscription) services, etc. are really "top-notch" - they have deep pockets and their hardware & software are top-of-the-line. There are numerous examples/suggestions/changes I'd like to see, but then again, this site is completely free and they do provide an excellent opportunity for members to share knowledge.
Old September 12th, 2023, 04:09 PM

The user interface (UI) isn't very good. There's a lot of wasted space at the top of every page. They have several different menu bars that should be combined. Instead of combining they chose to eliminate one and move it to a new location.
Typically changes like this are made so the site is more mobile friendly.
Old September 12th, 2023, 04:14 PM
Running On Empty

The one thing I find frustrating (and, I'm sure others do, as well) is navigating on my iPhone - which has changed once again w/ the recent changes. The breadcrumbs have changed. You'll see varying differences on the several/numerous types of mobile devices everyone use. Breadcrumbs are attribute-based, location-based or path-based - depending on how the development team has written the breadcrumbs. Breadcrumbs are navigation aids which show the end-user where they are and where they can go (navigate). It gets tricky because breadcrumbs operate differently when viewed from a mobile device, a particular Browser, and a desktop PC (laptop, notepad, etc.). When CO instituted continuous scrolling, some aspects work well on either a desktop PC (laptop, notepad, etc.) but you get an entirely different experience depending on that mobile device you use. And, I'll just throw this out - these breadcrumbs are really finicky when it comes to whether they render the page correctly in a vertical mode or in a horizontal mode.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 12th, 2023 at 04:17 PM. Reason: more>mode sp.
Old September 12th, 2023, 04:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by v8al
The user interface (UI) isn't very good. There's a lot of wasted space at the top of every page. They have several different menu bars that should be combined. Instead of combining they chose to eliminate one and move it to a new location.
Typically changes like this are made so the site is more mobile friendly.
Good feedback if anyone at Internet Brands is paying attention to comments. Again, I believe this site (CO) is a test bed/training ground for developers. I'm at the you get what you pay for state of mind.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 12th, 2023 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Interbrands>Internet Brands sp.
Old September 12th, 2023, 06:21 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Heads up, ha... hell no.
It was magically dropped down from the heavens. You should have been born with automatic knowledge of all encrypted modern computer symbols.
Brick pond swim mentality.
Reminds me of these fine examples when they dropped. Took me a week to know what the triple radio buttons were. It didn't call out when you hovered over it in the early dayz.
At least the bell does....

Old September 12th, 2023, 06:43 PM
Old School Olds

Ha ha, right. The 3 dots, cool, Imma going dark and see if I like it.
Old September 12th, 2023, 08:33 PM

Since I no longer own an Oldsmobile and have regressed back to the same kind of car I owned in High School, I will probably not be visiting this site or any other Oldsmobile site. It has been a long ride and fruitful at times, but making this change is the last straw. I will look back occasionally but for now it is Adios.

Also I have a big stash of Olds goodies that I will be listing for sale in the future.

Last edited by edzolz; September 12th, 2023 at 08:35 PM.
Old September 12th, 2023, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Since I no longer own an Oldsmobile and have regressed back to the same kind of car I owned in High School, I will probably not be visiting this site or any other Oldsmobile site. It has been a long ride and fruitful at times, but making this change is the last straw. I will look back occasionally but for now it is Adios.

Also I have a big stash of Olds goodies that I will be listing for sale in the future.
I'll miss you, Ed.
Old September 12th, 2023, 09:28 PM
Banned

Funny. I only look at the site on my Android. I didn't see anything different at all.
Old September 13th, 2023, 05:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yeah, I noticed the changes this AM. Like Microsoft, change the menus and locations of commands just to keep people on their toes.
Old September 13th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Yes, apparently there has been a change. I thought my PC was acting up so I went through the process of clearing cookies, etc... Then I saw this thread and realized I wasn't the only one. Yes, I agree, it would have been nice if IB gave a heads up.
Old September 13th, 2023, 06:43 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Not sure I am going to like it. Took me awhile to find mark all past read.
Old September 13th, 2023, 07:54 AM

UI developers have to change things to keep their jobs.

We're on the receiving end of the opinions as to usability.

Threw me off this morning that quick links disappeared - or has it moved???

Guess I'll be finding out.

Chris
Old September 13th, 2023, 08:05 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Eric, it is good to see you are in the same boat as the rest of us. I felt you would have given us a heads up if you know about it. I used to frequent a TriFive Chevy board. The same thing happened to it last year and you could copy and paste some of those same comments here. After all the pissing and moaning, they got used to it. The only choice we have is to accept the changes and continue on or to leave this site. We are all creatures of habit. We will get used to the changes and then they will be new habits.
Old September 13th, 2023, 08:22 AM

I am worried about losing the database if IB dropped us.
Old September 13th, 2023, 10:00 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by Koda
I am worried about losing the database if IB dropped us.
Good point. Like 442 dot com and 69 Olds dot com. Poof!
Old September 13th, 2023, 01:48 PM
Past Administrator

Why can't they leave well enough alone, I'm too old for this. Sorry to hear your bad news Ed, you will be missed. I didn't know you sold your Oldsmobile.
Old September 13th, 2023, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Geez, come on all they did was eliminate the redundancy and the clutter of tabs in the header. It's not that big of a deal.
Old September 13th, 2023, 02:20 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

One thing I noticed, it seems if you post on a thread and then go up and click on New Posts, you post is not there. Makes no sense.
Old September 13th, 2023, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
One thing I noticed, it seems if you post on a thread and then go up and click on New Posts, you post is not there. Makes no sense.
It's always been like that because you are the one posting, so it's not new to you.
Old September 13th, 2023, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It's always been like that because you are the one posting, so it's not new to you.
Yup you can see it under "Todays Post" before someone replies same as B4
Old September 13th, 2023, 04:18 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Before you could go up and click on Today's Post and it would be right at the top. Not a big deal.
Old September 13th, 2023, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Before you could go up and click on Today's Post and it would be right at the top. Not a big deal.
Now you have to click on your account name in the top right corner and then do it.
Old September 13th, 2023, 05:43 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Eric. It is just a matter of stumbling around to find everything I. Looks like it is all still here.
Old September 14th, 2023, 09:23 AM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Geez, come on all they did was eliminate the redundancy and the clutter of tabs in the header. It's not that big of a deal.
that was entirely our goal, and as for the heads up, we didn't get one from tech either. I apologize. we have been testing this on two sites for a month though. We will be adding a gear icon to the top right so that you can access your userCP easier, as that has been the most consistent feedback we've received.
Old September 14th, 2023, 10:06 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Thanks Robb. We do appreciate you answering. Nice to know there is a human on the other end.
Please let IT know we'd appreciate a spoon fed update/warning of changes for those of use who grew up using an abacus. Maybe make it a "sticky" bucket so you can communicate to the masses. Make it alert with a pop up the first time we sign in??

Question: How is all of this data preserved say if IB were to someday go belly up. Not sure what the legalities/Monetary complications are, I'm sure they exist.
There is a wealth of knowledge/data here. We want to preserve for future gens who will some day be the curators/caretakers of our cars.
Old September 14th, 2023, 10:21 AM
IB Staff

We have never turned a community off here, and I am quite confident that day will never come.