The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Steriods

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2022, 08:45 AM
Banned

Steriods

Long story short. I got a nasty skin reaction to some plants taking care of my Dad's yard. Nasty nasty rash etc. I got it last year too. The doctor prescribed Prednisone. It is a steroid. I don't do drugs. I never have. I am done with my prescription. Holy crap did that stuff send me for a loop. I felt like I was insane. Like an out of body experience. Anyone else here ever have a reaction like that to meds?
Old July 28th, 2022, 10:06 AM

Hi,

My wife goes through something similar ever year, call it poison ivy, but not it as no one else playing in the weeds gets it. One time they prescribed her it twice in less than a few weeks, caused her to break out in hives, and her heart race, still seems to be a once a year thing she gets, this year she got it in Alaska, same treatment all gone.

If you're not a frequent pill taker it may very well effect your attitude, years ago my stepmother gave me a contact and turned me into instant A-hole, almost got into a fist fight with my dad, after that never touched those again, everyone reacts differently to different drugs as they all have some kind of side effect.

Regards,
Jim
Old July 28th, 2022, 11:22 AM
Oldsdruid

I have rarely had side effects from meds, but when I do...

I tried Drixoral once for sinus congestion and that stuff put me in orbit. I had never been jacked up on any OTC med like that stuff did me. Last time I used NyQuil it did the same thing, and it had always made me sleep.

Doc wanted to put me on Jardiance earlier this year for my diabetes and family history of heart disease (which I'm showing no signs of).

First thing was the outrageous cost- $600 for 30 day supply, and my insurance wouldn't cover it. My income even in retirement was too high to get any help from the manufacturer. But someone has to pay for all the TV advertising, right?

Second and worse were the side effects. I had every side effect listed plus night terrors and hallucinations. Those started three days after I went on the stuff, and ended four days after I stopped taking it. I have no doubt the stuff was the cause.

Plus the stuff had absolutely no effect on my glucose numbers, triglycerides or blood pressure- if anything my BP numbers went up.

So- between no benefit, the outrageous cost and the intolerable side effects I told my doc I would not take it.
Old July 28th, 2022, 11:32 AM
Banned

Glad it isn't just me. They gave me a steroid cream as well. It took to the moon. I was flying. Like I said I haven't done drugs but that must be what people are chasing. I figured out that the steroid cream was sending me into orbit. I quit using it. My meds were supposed to run out today. I flushed them. I don't like the feeling of no control.

My Mom took an arthritis medication for two days. Killed her. Attacked her liver like no tomorrow. Two days. Now taking this crap? No thank you.
Old July 28th, 2022, 01:56 PM

When I was about 20 years I had Mononucleosis (that Sucked) after recovering from that I immediately contracted Vincent's disease followed by Scarlatina a mild form of scarlet fever !! after seemingly living in the doctors office (all the above were treated with the appropriate drugs) he said enough is enough he said your body is so run down from the Mono that you seem to have no resistance to anything and it appears you going to contract everything !! so he put me on some kind of steroid to help build my body back up, now I don't remember how long I took them but I do remember him saying when this scrip is gone that's it there will be no more prescribed.
I don't remember any side effects but I was 20 and already kinda crazy !! I didn't turn in to Barry Bonds or a body builder and they must have worked because after the prescribed dose was done I remained healthy.
Old July 28th, 2022, 05:38 PM
Lansing built

How many milligrams of predinsone? How many times a day? It can make your palpitate.

Pat
Old July 28th, 2022, 06:43 PM

I went on the magic carpet ride after a joint repair while in the hospital. Don't know what it was (drug) that caused it, but I was flying all over the room in my mind. Felt like it was for real, I could go where ever I wanted, I had complete control of any prospective I desired. Found out a nurse was worried enough that they put a monitor on my bed and an alarm would go off when I tried too gt up. That also scared the Hell out of me when it went off.

As far as steroids go, I've had my share with all my joint issues and found that they helped me tremendously. Pain pills on the other hand seem to weaken with time, and it's damn easy to get hooked.... Tedd
Old July 28th, 2022, 06:49 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I went on the magic carpet ride after a joint repair while in the hospital. Don't know what it was (drug) that caused it, but I was flying all over the room in my mind. Felt like it was for real, I could go where ever I wanted, I had complete control of any prospective I desired.
Demerol? Did you see Sinbad The Sailor?
Old July 28th, 2022, 07:05 PM
Banned

They were 20mg. Three times a day three days, then two a day for three days, then one a day for three more. Glad they are gone.
Old August 10th, 2022, 10:45 AM
Bfg

Dr. Fauci, endless shots and boosters and three masks and a face shield, got the Rona. I’m thinking this **** can enter through the but hole!
Old August 10th, 2022, 10:52 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Bfg
Dr. Fauci, endless shots and boosters and three masks and a face shield, got the Rona. I’m thinking this **** can enter through the but hole!
You're not too far off the mark, maybe.

While the "primary" vector of transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is aerosol droplets, there exists a plethora of evidence transmission occurs outside of inhalation pathways i.e. hand-to-mouth (in particular), saliva, etc. The miserable thing lives everywhere - waste water treatment plants have demonstrated lots of SARS-CoV-2 contamination.
Old August 10th, 2022, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by solly
When I was about 20 years I had Mononucleosis (that Sucked) after recovering from that I immediately contracted Vincent's disease followed by Scarlatina a mild form of scarlet fever !! after seemingly living in the doctors office (all the above were treated with the appropriate drugs) he said enough is enough he said your body is so run down from the Mono that you seem to have no resistance to anything and it appears you going to contract everything !! so he put me on some kind of steroid to help build my body back up, now I don't remember how long I took them but I do remember him saying when this scrip is gone that's it there will be no more prescribed.
I don't remember any side effects but I was 20 and already kinda crazy !! I didn't turn in to Barry Bonds or a body builder and they must have worked because after the prescribed dose was done I remained healthy.
I contracted scarlatina when I was 21 that crap just about put me in the hospital. Most sick I have ever been.
Old August 10th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by bobs72
I contracted scarlatina when I was 21 that crap just about put me in the hospital. Most sick I have ever been.
About 35 years ago (I was ~35y.o.) I had a case of strep (Streptococcus pyogenes) throat. As an adult you seldom think about catching strep throat - mostly thinking it's nothing more than a typical general sore throat which will go away like they all do. Until....this one never went away and continued to worsen. At the hospital (I worked in a blood research center next to x3 hospitals) the young M.D. looked at me and confirmed it was Strep. As soon as she began suggesting several courses of treatment - I politely looked at her and said "I'd be happy to pull my pants down for you." She smiled, walked away, returned in 5' with the big boy needle jammed full of Penicillin & said "Drop 'em".