The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Someone is lucky I was not in my truck

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
car guy

Someone is lucky I was not in my truck

So I am in my Corrolla with my wife and daughter on a 2 lane road cruising about 50mph. Up ahead there is a neighborhood entrance. Someone in a Honda stops at the intersection and then desides to go when we are litterly 20-30ft away. To make matters worse there is a truck comming toward our direction in the other lane. I did not even have time to honk.

All I could do was either drive straight in her door/fender as she pulled out or whip into the other lane and back into my lane to avoid a head on with the other truck. I went with option 2 and it all worked out but what a dumb *** to pull in front of someone like that. Had I been in my 3/4 diesel truck there is no way I could have pulled off the manuver I did and would have been forced to drive straight into the side of her car. Her family would more than likely be planning her funeral right now.
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM

Richard: Glad you and the Family are OK! People are getting crazier all the time around here the way they drive. Was the idiot on the phone, or texting???? My two biggest complaints. Again, glad y'all are OK.
Aron
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Richard: Glad you and the Family are OK! People are getting crazier all the time around here the way they drive. Was the idiot on the phone, or texting???? My two biggest complaints. Again, glad y'all are OK.
Aron
Thanks Aron, It all just happened so fast I barley even saw it was a females hair in my perifial vision. I would not supprise me if she was texting. I didn't stop to meet her. I might have ended up best case saying things in front of my 5yo I don't want her to hear or worst case jail. I just kept going.
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Wow, close call! I'm glad you and your family are safe, and no one was hurt! Nice job on the quick thinking and reflexes.
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Cutlass Lover

Glad you could do what you did, Richard! Seems to be the week for accidents.....
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:22 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Locally Last week with in 30 miles of each other two women in seperate accidents. Each came to a stop then pulled out in front of a tractor trailer neither survived. I wonder what was so important that they had to jump in front of a large truck.
Larry
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM

It just amazes me how people can do that and not even see you. Makes you jumpy at just about every intersection. I find myself assessing every avenue of escape wherever I drive anymore. To many years riding motorcycles has made me cynical about all drivers in my vision.
Old December 28th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Glad You & family are safe. I know it is an old saying but "it comes in threes" sure seems to happen to me. Last summer I had 2 people pull into my lane within 20 min. of each other and to top it off a couple days later a car ran a stop sign at a 4-way stop.
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:41 PM
GM Enthusiast

Glad to hear everyone is OK Richard. Living in NY, I can certainly understand what you mean by all the idiots that are on the road. Hey, BTW, since when do you drive a Corolla? That's a big step down from an Oldsmobile!
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Glad to hear you're all okay after that.

All I can say is that the thought of that scenario terrifies me every minute I'm on my motorcycle.

- Eric
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Hey, BTW, since when do you drive a Corolla? That's a big step down from an Oldsmobile!
My back and worth to work $1500.00 beater
Old December 29th, 2010, 02:43 AM

Glad you are OK too! BTW up here we have a thing called day-time running lights...so when you put your vehicle into gear the lights come on at half brilliance...but I drive my newer stuff with the lights on full and the old stuff with the lights on all the time. It makes quite a difference in being visible, especially in broad daylight...
Old December 29th, 2010, 04:29 AM

I had a similar expeience a couple days ago, but it was an amish horse and buggy that pulled out into my lane going the wrong direction on a 2 lane icey road. It was just at dusk and the dark brown horse doesn't show up well(no red nose like rudolph) I missed them by inches. They have lights on the buggy and reflectors but nothing on the Horse. You guys should be glad you don't have to share the road with them, you never know when you top a hill if they are on the other side going 10mph.
Old December 29th, 2010, 05:22 AM
car guy

This was in the middle of the day and my headlights are always on.