The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

And so it begins... snowpocalypse

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2021, 03:34 PM

Snow angels are mandatory!
Old February 16th, 2021, 04:08 PM
69 Cutlass S

We actually had sunshine today, hi 35-40, rain and freezing rain cleaned up most of the salt.
Got the Cutlass out for a 40 mile run!
Calling for 8” and cold tomorrow.
Old February 16th, 2021, 04:17 PM
72 Olds CS

Looks nice Koda.

Greybeard your looking at salt and water rusting out your car in every crevice you can imagine, worse news the corrosion increase w temperature so if its in the garage now its eating away at your car .

No vehicle i care about comes out until there is no more ice and weve had several spring rains.

These cars had very little in the way of corrosion protection unlike todays cars, many of them in the northeast were completely rotted out in 5-6 years!
Old February 16th, 2021, 05:02 PM
69 Cutlass S

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Looks nice Koda.

Greybeard your looking at salt and water rusting out your car in every crevice you can imagine, worse news the corrosion increase w temperature so if its in the garage now its eating away at your car .

No vehicle i care about comes out until there is no more ice and weve had several spring rains.

These cars had very little in the way of corrosion protection unlike todays cars, many of them in the northeast were completely rotted out in 5-6 years!
Don’t know how it got into every crevice as we had 24 hours of rain. Then the roads were completely dry. No salt was put down before the rain. Believe me I understand rust, but it was a chance I’m comfortable taking. Im 1/2 mile from 81, the highway was dry and clean. Ran 20 miles and back, changed the oil, and gave it a good spray of fluid film underneath.
I understand your point, and this might be her last time out until April. But I bought her a month ago, and never ran her. Sat and waxed her and watched the snow. Oil looked like crap, smelled horrible when she started. It needed a rum, as did I.

Last edited by old greybeard; February 16th, 2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old February 16th, 2021, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Our state's power grid is ill-prepared for this. Still......you have to wonder about the robustness of any so-called contingency plans they have.

I think what's really happened in TX is the supercharged growth....and the grid hasn't been added to/updated/etc even remotely enough to keep up with the growth here. Maybe they've tried but any additional power plants, etc inevitably run up against a lot of resistance and it's just taking too long to add on.

An increased dependence on green energy (aka wind turbine power) is the culprit. Those machines are not equipped for the icing issues that this weather event has dropped on the Midwest. I think this is a warning shot across the bow of those pushing the New Green Deal.

tc
Old February 16th, 2021, 05:50 PM
69 Cutlass S

Just read a article about it in PJ media. Texas doesn’t harden their power equipment for cold and ice like they do up here. They are hardened for extreme heat.

Last edited by old greybeard; February 16th, 2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old February 16th, 2021, 07:17 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by 4+4+2=10
An increased dependence on green energy (aka wind turbine power) is the culprit. Those machines are not equipped for the icing issues that this weather event has dropped on the Midwest. I think this is a warning shot across the bow of those pushing the New Green Deal.

tc
It would never sink in, same as the events of 6 Jan haven't sunk in thru the thick skulls of Congress. Ideology and agenda over everything. It's how they're programmed to think, because they've certainly proved they can't/won't/don't think for themselves.

Texas is also a bit weird in that it is its own electric grid. Weather like they're experiencing is so odd for that area that they saw no need to engineer the infrastructure for it.

The powerplant I retired from made news when it was built as an "outdoor" plant instead of being enclosed per earlier practice. It was nice in summer because the heat didn't get trapped and you could always catch a breeze but, even with all the pipe insulation and electric heat tracing, when it got down to 20 degrees things froze up. And then busted 😖 which made for a miserable shift.
Old February 16th, 2021, 07:36 PM

I posted this on another thread.
True, shut down generating facilities for maintenance. But how do they do not have enough natural gas? Living in Port Isabel, TX, gas companies ran the biggest gas line. That I ever saw, part went under the Rio Grande to Mexico and the rest for the Port of Brownsville, TX. For multiple LPG plants to ship overseas. Cleaning the LPG increasing air pollution. To compress to mind blowing pressures. Super compressed gas tanker ships. I call small atomic bomb. And yes it was going to China, now to Japan and South Korea. People are fighting it in south Texas. LPG is being shipped from all the Texas ports.

Here is just a highway propane tanker in china blowing up.

Not 100% sure if the Texas grid even has electric lines into other states. Every 10 to 20 years it does snow and get real cold. Texas has grown by leaps and bounds. Just **** poor planning.

I know most of you thinks this is bull ****. Coal not the cleanest. Oil will run out one day. Record breaking fires, floods, hurricanes, cold, droughts, heat waves. Oil and coal are nearing the beginning of the end. And if you think oil will get cheaper as alternative energy start playing a bigger role. You are in for a big surprise.

As a big history buff. New energy technologies and storage of energy are being developed to replace. Oil and coal.
Old February 16th, 2021, 09:01 PM

Was it Texas leaders as recently as last year taunted California rolling blackouts. Failed such a massive test of a major point of state pride, energy independence. As fuming Texans took to social media to highlight how while their neighborhoods froze in the dark Monday night, downtown skylines glowed despite desperate calls to conserve energy. Again, **** Poor Planning!!!

They need to fix this before I move back to Port Isabel. This fall.

Old February 16th, 2021, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Where did you live Tedd? One great thing about Denver is the snow doesn't stay long. We used to get more snow than we do now. I bet we have had Maybe five snow falls over two inches this winter. Five might be pushing it.
I lived in Littleton, worked in Denver , M.L.Foss Steel,5th and Arapaho, went to school at 1545 Hoyte St. That was a half a century ago I'm amazed I remember the addresses.....Tedd
Old February 17th, 2021, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
It would never sink in, same as the events of 6 Jan haven't sunk in thru the thick skulls of Congress. Ideology and agenda over everything. It's how they're programmed to think, because they've certainly proved they can't/won't/don't think for themselves.

Texas is also a bit weird in that it is its own electric grid. Weather like they're experiencing is so odd for that area that they saw no need to engineer the infrastructure for it.

The powerplant I retired from made news when it was built as an "outdoor" plant instead of being enclosed per earlier practice. It was nice in summer because the heat didn't get trapped and you could always catch a breeze but, even with all the pipe insulation and electric heat tracing, when it got down to 20 degrees things froze up. And then busted 😖 which made for a miserable shift.
Tell me what didn't sink in about Jan 6th in congress. I worked as a tradesman at several different powerplants.....natural gas fired, coal fired and "nukes". What happened in Texas and the "red south" was due to rare and extreme cold snap. Texas isolated themselves fro any other "grids", so I imagine that kept them from buying power from other sources.
The "Green new deal" didn't cause anything to happen in Texas or the south.
Old February 17th, 2021, 06:36 AM
69 Cutlass S

Apparently nat gas pipelines, pumps and transfer stations can freeze. Ours up north don’t, because they are built for cold.
As for green energy, nat gas is the future. We just had a coal plant in central pa torn down, replaced by a nat gas plant. Coal plant provided energy for 250k homes, nat gas 1 million homes, with 90% less greenhouse emissions. Much more savings than generated by ugly bird killing windmills.
Yet now we have calls for a fracking freeze, while all the people pushing for it benefit from record low NG prices.
Old February 17th, 2021, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by old greybeard
Apparently nat gas pipelines, pumps and transfer stations can freeze. Ours up north don’t, because they are built for cold.
As for green energy, nat gas is the future. We just had a coal plant in central pa torn down, replaced by a nat gas plant. Coal plant provided energy for 250k homes, nat gas 1 million homes, with 90% less greenhouse emissions. Much more savings than generated by ugly bird killing windmills.
Yet now we have calls for a fracking freeze, while all the people pushing for it benefit from record low NG prices.
"Apparently" ? I think the "future" is multiple sources of energy. The natural gas plant probably has multiple units running inside a building to generate the increase in capacity. "Peachbottom" (nuclear plant) is out near you that generates electricity and had TWO huge 1150 MW generators. It would take about SIX gas turbines to replace just one of the two. How big do you think the gas line needs to be to power six gas turbines ?
Wind turbines probably kill a few birds. Ugly wind turbines ? We could paint flames on them like old hot rods or pastoral scenes.

Old February 17th, 2021, 08:32 AM
69 Cutlass S

Wind turbines kill more than a few birds, try millions. Including many migratory birds and raptors that are protected by federal law. The utilities were given a waiver. Real green.
They just closed TMI near us. All the solar and wind generators are given massive subsidies. Nukes are the cleanest energy we have, yet no green subsidies for them. And the NIMBY attitude that Americans have will kill nuclear power, we’re too self centered and immature to deal with the spent fuel issues. 20% of our power generation will be going away, as usage goes up.
Old February 17th, 2021, 09:01 AM

Do turbines kill birds? Loss' research estimates that wind turbines kill 234,000 birds a year. ... Communication towers kill 6.6 million birds a year. Two hundred million are killed by cars, and building windows kill 600 million.
Old February 17th, 2021, 09:24 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

No single energy source will support the country's appetite for energy without a backlash of some sort. At about 305 million Btu of primary energy consumption per person per year it is a huge drain on any one energy source to supply energy to the typical wasteful American consumer.

Common sense will prove it necessary to tap all sources of energy, some more than others, and yes, it will include components of the Green New Deal—so find something else to complain about; count us lucky to have pick and choose options available to us, as some countries do not.
Old February 17th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Was it Texas leaders as recently as last year taunted California rolling blackouts. Failed such a massive test of a major point of state pride, energy independence. As fuming Texans took to social media to highlight how while their neighborhoods froze in the dark Monday night, downtown skylines glowed despite desperate calls to conserve energy. Again, **** Poor Planning!!!

They need to fix this before I move back to Port Isabel. This fall.
Now the lies, to cover their asses. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...ot%20chemicals.
Old February 17th, 2021, 10:00 AM
69 Cutlass S

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Do turbines kill birds? Loss' research estimates that wind turbines kill 234,000 birds a year. ... Communication towers kill 6.6 million birds a year. Two hundred million are killed by cars, and building windows kill 600 million.
All true, the numbers for turbines are estimated from 234k to 600k. That’s every year, and a disproportionate number are large raptors, most of the other numbers are small birds. Add cats, 1.7-3 Billion birds a year. Yet try to debate someone who wants to tnr cats.
We do need multiple sources of energy, and conservation as well. But until we figure effective ways to store power for when the wind isn’t blowing or the sun shining we will need nukes and ng. All have issues, hydroelectric is still big, yet has killed fish migration. Coal fired is dirty. Nukes generate waste and must be engineered properly. We should have solar on every roof, could have easily been done with the money we’ve printed and given to banks and buyouts.
I spend 1/2 the year off grid. Not hard to do, but I don’t see the average American giving up AC, and heavy electric usage. Too selfish.
Old February 17th, 2021, 12:09 PM

Old February 17th, 2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by old greybeard
I spend 1/2 the year off grid. Not hard to do, but I don’t see the average American giving up AC, and heavy electric usage. Too selfish.
Or maybe they live where the summer temps are 100 degrees, or the humidity is 90+ percent. How about you try being off the grid for that other 1/2 the year and see how "selfish" you become?
Old February 17th, 2021, 12:26 PM
Running On Empty

Remember Enron & Kenneth Lay?
Old February 17th, 2021, 01:25 PM
69 Cutlass S

X

Last edited by old greybeard; February 17th, 2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old February 17th, 2021, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Getting back on track... Apparently the last forecast was a bit off, I think we got another inch from Mon.-this morning. We will be above freezing by Friday and hopefully by the weekend this stuff will be a faint memory.
Old February 17th, 2021, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Getting back on track... Apparently the last forecast was a bit off, I think we got another inch from Mon.-this morning. We will be above freezing by Friday and hopefully by the weekend this stuff will be a faint memory.
Happy sledding til then.
Old February 17th, 2021, 03:49 PM
72 Olds CS

Thursday afternoon until friday night were supposed to get snow in mass and it what is probably the same storm that started this thread! Lets hope it produces more snow than it did in OK....right now theyre saying 4-8"
Old February 17th, 2021, 09:33 PM
Oldsdruid

Them what love snow may have my share!

I'd honestly rather have 6" of snow than this ice-pocalypse that's getting ready to beat the snot out of us. 2 ice storms in 5 days is 2 too many. The ice storms are why I hate winter so much now.
Old February 18th, 2021, 02:51 AM
Lansing built

8.5 inches from the storm 1.5 hrs of cleanup on a 1/8th acre lot including yard and house. My piles were getting to high. I moved the first and worst one with the blower. -18 degrees yesterday morning, I must getting used to it, I opened our steel gates by my bare hands.

pat
Old February 18th, 2021, 07:55 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by 1970cs
8.5 inches from the storm 1.5 hrs of cleanup on a 1/8th acre lot including yard and house. My piles were getting to high. I moved the first and worst one with the blower. -18 degrees yesterday morning, I must getting used to it, I opened our steel gates by my bare hands.

pat
Yeah, that was a weird temp swing yesterday, got up and it was -12 at 7am, and +21 by 1pm.
Old February 19th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Administrator

And so it ends, temps to 37* today, climbing into the 60's by the weekend. This will be just another memory.
Old February 19th, 2021, 02:57 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

So glad to hear things are looking better for you guys that were in the path of that bad weather.
Old February 19th, 2021, 03:14 PM

I'm in Nor Cal and 55 deg here and sunny. Looking for summer in the 115 deg. like last year. I have water bottles saved but it never comes here like back East and Texas. Stay safe.
Gerald
Old February 19th, 2021, 05:34 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Thursday afternoon until friday night were supposed to get snow in mass and it what is probably the same storm that started this thread! Lets hope it produces more snow than it did in OK....right now theyre saying 4-8"
its been off on snowing for the past 24 hrs i didnt think we would get much but it looks like we will end up w 6 ish inches.

pic shows current conditions at the ranger station dark n snowy lol

Old February 20th, 2021, 08:09 AM

Fireflies out in the snow?
Old February 20th, 2021, 10:06 AM
72 Olds CS

“Lasers”

when it snows i turn on the 2 star shower christmas laser lights that face away from the house. The lasers light up the snowflakes and the snow in the trees....im easily amused

Last edited by RetroRanger; February 20th, 2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old February 20th, 2021, 11:37 AM
Running On Empty

How cold it got down South.

Old February 20th, 2021, 05:38 PM
72 Olds CS

Funny Norm

heres a daylight view

Old February 23rd, 2021, 08:18 PM
Oldsdruid

Lordy I squalled laughing at this...

Old February 23rd, 2021, 08:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Hard to believe it was 80° today and this is what I was looking at a week ago.

This was taken off my deck looking across the lake.

Old February 23rd, 2021, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Yeah winter in the South, you can go through a cord of wood one week and have to run the AC the next.
Old February 24th, 2021, 08:00 AM

Still got some slush in Evansville, but we may crack 60 today. Driveway climbing is now down to 2WD with the traction control occasionally whining.

Quick Reply: And so it begins... snowpocalypse