The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

RIP John Prine

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2020, 10:20 PM

RIP John Prine

I just seen where John Prine has passed away from complications from the coronavirus. This news really bums me out. He was a great songwriter and entertainer. He is one entertainer I would have liked to have hung out with. Great sense of humor. RIP. Prayers go out to family, friends and fans.

Don W
Old April 8th, 2020, 03:04 AM
Running On Empty

^x2
Old April 8th, 2020, 06:26 AM

shitty, love his stuff, just saw him do a show with gordon lightfoot in the crowd, very cool
RIP
Old April 8th, 2020, 02:33 PM
Oldsdruid

"Just give me one thing that I can hold on to, to believe in this living is just a hard way to go"

Angel From Montgomery- one of the best ever written.
Old April 8th, 2020, 02:53 PM
Running On Empty

Angel From Montgomery was a great song. I grew up in Chicago & the surrounding area. As a young person in my late teens (17 & 18), many of us gathered in the Old Town area of Chicago, a very eclectic mix of eccentrics - hippies, Vietnam veterans, rights activists, Anti-Vietnam protests, 1968 Democratic National Convention, Abbie Hoffman, the Chicago Seven - it was an extremely chaotic time of our lives - many of us waiting on our draft number and many deciding if Canada was a better option. We saw John many times in Old Town and often saw him walking between Second City (Hyde Park) & Old Town with Steve Goodman - carrying their guitars. He was a great person - a solid human being. His writing style was truly down-to-Earth. It was difficult to tell who was more down to Earth, they certainly fed on each other.

There are three Prine songs which are enduring to me: Souvenirs, Dear Abby & Sam Stone. They are nearly the hallmark of my later youth. This first YouTube video is heart-wrenching to me. It expresses John so well - I can nearly witness his entire life unfold in his solemn and humble expressions of the man he was.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 8th, 2020 at 03:02 PM. Reason: italics
Old April 8th, 2020, 03:04 PM

R.I.P.

Were next.
Know one gets out alive.

Enjoy every Day !