The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2017, 10:00 AM

Welcome to the asylum Golden Rocket. I'm afraid your gonna have ta be Mike II

Inline, Don't feel pregnant, You're probably the only person in Finnland that ever heard of grits

As for rye, I like hot pastrammi on rye bread
Old January 29th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin, all... got a late start today after cruising home from the coast around midnight last night. 'Twas a great evening: Boz didn't disappoint, the seafood was great (including a dozen half-shell oysters each), and all went according to plan.

We happened to sit next to a couple from Scotland (near Edinburgh) who flew in on Friday just to see Boz! They have to be a little crazy, but hell, they were a lot of fun (both retirees). Only thing, it was tough trying to understand them at times, and during the show, all bets were off.

I took a few pic's during the show, but this phone didn't do too good. I did take a very short video at the end, and included it below, for the inquiring minds.

Originally Posted by Mostizzle
Thanks, Bee-Oh-Pee. I was born and raised in Detroit but I reside in Saint Clair Shores now. Things got too 'real' for me in Detroit. Haha
Heard ya', Mo. Main reason I axe (as Dan knows) is that wiffey & I travelled up to N. Mich. every summer for about 20 years... the area is very near & dear to us. My good friend, Gene, still lives up there -- although he's not doing too well these days.

Anyhoots, y'all have a great Sunday, Olds pals. Since the Pro Bowl is on ESPN, we don't get it; but no tears being shed.

Snippet from Boz: "Sick & Tired"

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 29th, 2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old January 29th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo when it comes to my cars it's all up in my noggin. I do a pretty good job keeping things straight. I may not remember what I had for breakfast but car stuff is solid.

Welcome Mike. I like the big stuff, too, but have yet to get one. Have a couple ideas in the back of my head for the future.

John what was that woman doing with her back to us? I had to look up Boz Scaggs. I've heard of him but didn't know anything about him.

Not having a lot of luck over at the shop. I have a Chevy pickup that I'm trying to take apart, but I don't have very good tools over there, nor a good place to work. It's sitting on a trailer in the weeds. I sprayed some bolts with Kroil and I'll go back later. No air so it's all hand tools.
Old January 29th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Captain Starfire

OK, most o'yall can skip this, since it's prolly way more info than you need or want.

Mike, Boz's heyday was the mid-to-late 70s, and on into the 80s. He became HUGE in '76 with the release of the Silk Degrees album, which contained the #1 hit Lowdown, a favorite of the disco era. It charted right when that genre was exploding onto the scene.

I never particularly liked the song when I was a pup, although it's grown on me. But Silk Degrees is a true classic. Every song is great -- including one you and Scot and Jamesbo should hear: "Georgia."

He did about 5 songs from Silk Degrees last night. And I guess you're talking about Miss Monet: she was shaking her booty. But there's a line in "Sick and Tired" about "Got yourself a rag tied 'round you're head," so she put whatever that thing was around her head. But Miss Monet frequently looks back at the sax player, mostly I think to share the rear view with the audience... so nice of her. She's one lady with plenty of meat AND potatoes -- and she ain't even Irish.

Actually, she's very talented and entertaining in an "over the top" fashion. She's done every one of his shows I've seen. Boz gives her have a solo or two each show -- really, by popular demand, since the crowds love her. Last night, she did "Until You Come Back to Me," a song Stevie Wonder penned for Aretha many moons ago. It has a sentimental place in my heart 'cause my Polish girlfriend (in my dreams), Basia, has a great rendition of it.

When Boz joined Micheal McDonald and Donald Fagen in their "Dukes of September" venture a couple years back (don't get me started about that), Miss Monet came along and sang with them.

But Boz steadily released albums (good ones, actually) for the last 40 years -- kinda' like James Taylor. Better half has to get every one, you know.

So if you made it this far, I'm sure you've had enough, so I'll leave it at that. Inline, are you taking notes?

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 29th, 2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old January 29th, 2017, 12:02 PM
OldsMoStyle

Welcome aboard, golden rocket.

Bee-Oh-Pee, where abouts in northern MI? I go camping in Oscoda alot and I used to live in Rose City.

Still colder than frostys pecker out. Might get a little snow tomorrow night to shove around. Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday Funday.
Old January 29th, 2017, 12:32 PM

John, I made the BIG mistake of axing the Super Model WTH your post was about. Unfortinately, I mispronounced his name with a long O [like the Boise speaker]

Now, That's all she's playing. BTW Did you wear your leisure suit

IMHO Music went to hell when Buddy Holly crashed
Old January 29th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Captain Starfire

Ha ha, Jamesbo! I did have one or two leisure suits back in the day, to wear with my platform shoes and print shirts. But seriously, iffin' S.M. likes that stuff (as I do), Youtube is TEEMING with stuff; it's really great to hunt it down, 'cause there's new "old" stuff showing up every day.

Somebody uploaded the whole Dukes of September concert that I just bought on Blu-ray for $25 -- but the quality is still better on the Blu-ray. Tell SM to watch that thing. If she likes it as much as I, it'll give her goosebumps.

Another really good CD to get with both Boz and Donald Fagen (half of Steely Dan, for those like Jamesbo & Mike) is a 1991 live performance in N.Y. called (logically) the "New York Rock & Soul Review." It was a one-time-only performance recorded on state-of-the-art equipment (as Donald always did).

Happy listening.

Mo, I've heard of Oscoda, but never been there. The Better Half's family, until about 2008, had a little cottage on Torch Lake in Bellaire, MI, about 30 mi. east of Traverse City. It is truly God's country -- at least in the summer. LOL We spent as much as 6 weeks at a time up there when we were both freelancing and could work remotely (mostly in the 90s).

I'm prolly headed back up there in June, since Gene wants to go to the Olds Homecoming Car Show & Swap Meet in Lansing, and he wants me to drive his '59 (and him) down there. I can't really refuse if he's well enough to go... it would make his summer. Plus, I'm guessing it's going to be one helluva Olds show.

To make matters even more mandatory for him, he used to work for Auto Owners' Insurance, and the show will be held at their corporate H.Q. (in Lansing). It's said to be a super venue.

Gene's 59 has won many trophies in its day, so this outing may be no exception. So I'm looking into it.
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:05 PM
OldsMoStyle

Right on, that's cool.

Did anyone happen to catch that Detroit Steel show last night? They built a 56 88 for a guy whose family put in a combined 300 years at Olds. Looked like he had a lot of cool Olds memrobilia n stuff laying around in his garage.
Old January 29th, 2017, 05:19 PM

I saw the ad for that show when I was channel surfing last night, saw that they were going to do a '55 Olds, so I decided to tune in. First time that I had seen that program and the car turned out nice even though I'm not a street rod kind of guy (looked like it rode a little stiff). I've been to the Milford show where they made it's debut, a really good show with some really well restored cars...$$$. There is a show downtown and at the same time, one just outside of town at a strip mall (where they were). The owner of the property is a big car fan, so he provides his parking lot and adjoining field for the cars. John, give me a shout out when you are going to Homecoming, and I'll get your cell number from you so we can meet. I don't miss Homecoming for anything. Inline, more and more folks in the U.S. are eating wholegrain breads, I try to avoid white bread when I can, and cannot remember the last time that I bought any.
Old January 30th, 2017, 12:03 AM

Good Morning. Lizard disco, no sleep at night- now im tired.

Bee-Oh-Pee - Hmm, not kinda my music. It tickles some boxes - but that male singer dont do it for me, sorry Otherwise it sounds nice musical-wise. Def. goes to my repeat-list, but not as an favourite. You know i want an female singer. Theres nothing comparing to Stevie Nicks

Well, off i go to do something. Have a good new week everyone of you.
Old January 30th, 2017, 04:24 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah Monday morning. Gonna be cool but I don't think any rain. The only thing I got at the shop yesterday was a tick. Oh and I found out my jumper cables aren't any good.

John you could be that guy's PR person. Thanks for writing that all up. I haven't liked a performer that much in a long time. Seventies and 80s? I was still a pup.

I'd love to go to the Olds museum again. I was there in 1987 when I was in town for the OCA convention. Last I heard they were considering shutting down. The only thing I remember for sure was the shortened Toronado with the rubber nose. I'm sure they had a Curved Dash.

Okay Awful house. Have a good day everyone.
Old January 30th, 2017, 04:45 AM
golden rocket

Good Morning y'all. Supposed to get into the upper 60s' or maybe touch upon 70 degrees here in Okie land. definitely time to shed the long handles for a day, and catch a few rays.

Has anybody utilized a car shipper to get a vehicle? Any body got input on it? Thanks for any help on this. Looks like serious money to get a car moved.
Old January 30th, 2017, 04:55 AM

Mawn'in

Well, I had to put my long handles on to go smack whitey today

Golden, I used one to get my Vista from California, Let me see if I can find the name in the trash pile I call my office

Mike, Ya know that p.m ya sent me, well it went away just like it's spose to but I still have that one from years ago that been there forever................. Wierd?

John, I'm not real sure ya need to post pics of you in yout Disco attire. I don't want ta pitch my Pop tart

Inline, In case you haven't noticed, I'm older than dirt and so my music taste are somewhat different. The Super Model is about 14 years my junior so she helps me translate

Brian, Ya snowed in yet?

Welp, GTG

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 30th, 2017, 05:52 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Welcome to the new recruits

Wonder if the workforce will show up this week?

Have a day all.
Old January 30th, 2017, 11:45 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Just chiming in from here on the side of the mountain. Where in the world did January go??

Have the best afternoon possible.
Old January 30th, 2017, 11:59 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by slantflat
Brian how many cars did you pull out of the ditch last week during the storm? Heck if I were up your way I would have driven into the ditch on purpose just to have that monster come help me.

Okay gonna get ready and hit it and quit it. Have a good weekend everyone.
Not as many as I had hoped for and believe me I went looking. We got about 8" in that storm. But there are still many weeks until spring and we haven't had the traditional southern ice and sleet storms so there is hope.

I did roll up on a '04 Dodge Ram that was trying to pull a Prius out of a ditch. Just sat and watched for a while. Offered to help but I think they were more astounded at the sight of it. I threw some light on the subject from the 6 LED bars now mounted on the roof. It was like daylight!
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:09 PM

Played ok in the gail today 44/45

Gonna miss y'all in the mawn'in. Got an early Dr. appointment.

So Have a great day tomorrow Olds friends
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:39 PM

Evening all,

Another great Monday that's been and gone. Busy day sorting out my house purchase/sale. At last we have agreed on a price for the new house so now that's down to the solicitor to sort out the legal stuff. Loads of people have shown an interest in my current house so I'm hoping by next week to have a sale on that. Can't wait to get into the new place, I've got enough space for at least two more cars, not quite sure how to break that to my better half.

Damp overcast and just a bit glum in Londonistan today. Still had barely a half inch of snow this year, you lot must be keeping it your side of the pond.

Tomorrow brings me Ikea, Costco and to my local farm shop - boring, I hate shopping.
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:20 PM

Good Morning.

Ikea? Farewell.... Its like death sentence with fiancee...

Another day at the paradise.

Have a nice tuesday everyone.
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:35 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

btw, No complaints here. Had the doors open yesterday and it was in the 60's. Today too but breezy. C'mon Spring!

Jamesbo, hope he gives you a clean bill before his big bill.

London, How often is it not glum and overcast there?

Have a Tuesday all.
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:51 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Took tonight and tomorrow off because it's supposed to be in the 70s, and it will be the last nice weather before the lake comes back up for good. I'm not going to finish my project but should be able to get a lot done.

London good luck with the house. Don't say a word about the extra space. When two more cars magically show up, tell her they've always been there, she just didn't notice them.

Jamesbo do you ever log in from a different computer? If you do is that message still there? It might be your machine at home.

Gonna hit the Awful house then go buy a bunch of block. Have a good day everyone.
Old January 31st, 2017, 09:21 AM
Captain Starfire

'Nudder nice one in da Swamp. Happy Tuesday, Olds friends...
Old January 31st, 2017, 02:38 PM

Evening all,

CQR, You would be surprised, the weather in London is normally pretty good but it is winter so you have to expect it to be a bit overcast.

Mike, I like where you are coming from, trouble is, the Boss is pretty much on the ball, suppose I could say someone donated me a car!

Had two offers today on my house 125% uplift in seven years, not bad.

Charging the battery on the Cutlass overnight, hoping to go for a spin tomorrow afternoon.

Survived Ikea and Costco today, that's enough till next month.
Old January 31st, 2017, 11:51 PM

Good Morning.

Sauna day! Something to wait for
Should wash the car. Fiancees going to her friend and she wants it to be clean.
Maybe i should.. No more blue cars for me, it looks dirty straight away.

Well, have a nice wednesday everyone.
Old February 1st, 2017, 12:38 AM
golden rocket

Good morning, way to early Okie land has it about 230 in the AM, but a side effect of the heart scripts. go to the cardio guy this AM, and find out if I'm still alive or something like that. Interrupts my patter of loafing, and looking up more info on 1967 "Queenly" sized Oldsmobile. What can I say, I like my ladies with a little heft, like 430 feet pounds of torque @ 2400R.P.M.
Yepppers I bit the bullet on a 67 Delmont Holiday coupe w/ 425 in it. One last hurrah. 2 oldest grandsons, (19, 21) Pap, why did you get an old mans car? , I said that is not an old mans car, not with torque like that at your toe. The older of the 2 said, did they really make cars with that kind of power? OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH.
Old February 1st, 2017, 04:29 AM

Mawn'in

Unseasonably warm

Golden, Congrats on the new land yacht

Inline, My 69 442 drop top is trophy blue with blue, blue blue blue and blue.It beautiful when it's clean but every rain spot stand out like $hit on a white rabbit.

John, When I figger out how to do the FB car post thingy, I'll be right on it

Mike, No matter which putter I use, it's the same. Me thinks it's a site related problem, but it's nice to be greeted by you every morning.

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old February 1st, 2017, 06:19 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Gonna get cooler.

Have a humpday
Old February 1st, 2017, 07:14 AM

Afternoon.

Sauna is heating up now. Eating improvised dinner, nudels, tuna from tin-can.. Didnt bother to cook for just myself when fiancee was away, and those were the articles i found.

Jamesbo - I def. know what you mean. Same goes with black. Its nice as long as it hasnt been driven any after wash, or been outside.
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:26 AM

Golden, is that a 2bbl 425? with that torque, I'm inclined to think so, otherwise it would be 470-475. post a pic of your ride.
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:46 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Almost noon already. Spent 2 1/2 hours at the Awful house this morning, then went to get more block. A friend of mine has some mortar he's going to bring over left from one of his projects. Later on I'll report on the extent of my progress. John will have a ways to catch up.

But now, time to get to work. I only came in to turn off the furnace. No idea why it's still coming on, it's over 60 out. Ground hog day tomorrow. See ya's.
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:48 AM
Captain Starfire

Nice but humid in da Swamp today. Temp hovers from 50 at night to near 80 during day.

Mike, I concede. Thanks to our man Tony, I'll be perpetually bringin' up the rear in this contest.

Congrats, Golden. Luv them 425s. Before I got the '64 SF, I wanted a '65, which was the first year for the 425. That Delmont should get up & go whether she has the 2V or the 4V. Gotta' luv those old Oldses... they even put a 2V on the 455 later on... the only division of GM I know of to put a 2V on a 454/455. "Torque B Us." In fact, I never heard of a Ford 460 or a Mopar 440 w/ a 2V, either. Maybe on a truck or something?

I ferried Better Half to airport this morning at Zer0-Dark to (you guessed it) go see Mom. So I'm a bachelor for a week. On way back, I brought Aunt Carmy a monster Mickey Dee's breakfast that they package in a disgraceful looking cardboard suitcase. But she thoroughly enjoyed it. I told her not to read the ingredients on the "hotcake syrup" and she happily complied.

Have a great Humpity, Olds friends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 1st, 2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:28 AM
golden rocket

golden rocket

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Golden, is that a 2bbl 425? with that torque, I'm inclined to think so, otherwise it would be 470-475. post a pic of your ride.
Yes it is a 425 cubic inch V-8 with a 2 barrel carb. This Delmont is sort of a de' javu all over again. When we got out of the Army in 1971, my wife and I bought a 66 Dynamic 88 Holiday coupe, w/ 425 2 barrel single exhaust, automatic, power steering and brakes on time payments. We were stationed in Pennsylvania at the time and the car did not have A/C. No big deal until we moved home to Oklahoma and were pregnant in the summer time with no A/C in the car or the house!

A couple of weeks of nattering and I traded it off for a 73 LTD Brougham with AIR! Been wanting another Oldsmobile since then.

And the saga continues.

mikeII
Old February 1st, 2017, 05:15 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Making a sad trip home shortly for a family funeral. Good thing is she would have wanted a party with all her loved ones gathered from around the globe so we're going to do it up right for the next 3-4 days and celebrate a life well lived. Not dwelling on the immediate past of her life but how she touched so many.

Have a good night lads and lassies. I'll see you next week.
Old February 1st, 2017, 05:26 PM
Always room for one more

Safe trip Brian. Sorry you have to make the trip but she sounds like quite a lady.

Well I think that does it for the wall. It's very apparent that an amateur is building it. Got 19 blocks put in(broke one) and tucked a few seams that were in need. The lake is supposed to come back up next week, but I haven't seen any work going on with the dam, so maybe it will stay down longer, and the warm weather will come back. I'm not going to take any more time off work, but if the opportunity presents itself I'll take advantage.

Mike the Delmont sounds like an awesome car. I keep hearing that the 425 is like the best motor ever, I may have to buy something with that in it and find out for myself.

John I don't think you're out of this thing yet. Even big-hearted Better Half will eventually have enough of Tony's nonsense. Remember once the lake comes up I'm done for at least a year. Hope she has a safe trip and a good visit.

Okay gonna get cleaned up a little and go grab a bite. Gotta stay up extra late so I can go to work tomorrow. Good night everyone.
Old February 1st, 2017, 06:04 PM
golden rocket

BTW my condolences in your loss. many thoughts and prayers for you and loved ones, at this time. Some times what makes little rhyme or reason, is just the way He lets us see the big picture.
Old February 1st, 2017, 09:21 PM
Always room for one more

Boy where's Scot when you need him.

I don't suppose someone would want to call this guy in Kentucky and pretend you're interested in his car and get him to send you the video he has and forward it to me. He said he'd send it to my phone. Well, my dinosaur phone won't open videos, so I asked if he'd send it to my email and he said okay, but it's been a couple days and no video. I don't think he's the sharpest tool in the shed, but whatever. I'd like to see the video. This car would be a total hoot riding around in. I've been looking for a 38 Chev for awhile, and they are all priced in the stratosphere.

If not have a look at the picture and tell me what you think.

Craigslist ID# 5975566329
You can get to it from the Nashville, TN page.

Last edited by slantflat; February 1st, 2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 12:20 AM

Good Morning.

Found out yesterday that im becoming uncle
And at weekend its 3 birthdays. Luckily all in the same place, theyre all keeping it together. Saturday plans are, surprise surprise, go to my friend, heat the sauna and get drunk meanwhile Sounds like a plan!

btw - My condolences

Well, good thursday for everyone!
Old February 2nd, 2017, 12:40 AM
golden rocket

Goooood Morning y'all. 38 degrees, feels like 29 outside, and furnace just kicked on. This Okie Land weather is something else. 70 degrees one day, the next 39 degrees for the high. If I can make it till mid March, we will have it made weather wise. Now if we could get some badly needed rain.

Slantflat, liked at the link you had. That 38 will get the heart pumping. hard to tell much about it from only a single picture. I find that frustrating on the CL postings. And yes, I have called on posts like that, to find out the seller is about a slice of bread short of a loaf.

Not sure where today will take me, got a fair to middling bill of health from the Cardio Doc, but has not SPECIFIED (wifey!) what I can and can not do. so I'm doing what I want, within reason.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 03:12 AM

Mawn'in

Still warmer than normal

Brian, so sorry for your loss. Safe m travels

Mike, How wide is this wall [ i'm trying to do sum figuring using 8x 8x 16 blocks]

John, what's on the bachelor menu?

Inline, Congrats

GTG

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 2nd, 2017, 03:41 AM
golden rocket

Jamesbo still hotlanta ? was down there a couple of time when stationed @ Ft. Gordon, way back in time. late 60s' was a great party town, a little on the wooly side as they said back then.

What kind of wall? depending on soil will need to pour footer to run your courses of block. 1st course resting on footer should set in about 3 inches for stabilization. PM me for more on setting block, if you want to. Mike II