The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

I gots canuck in me!

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2010, 04:42 PM

I gots canuck in me!

Going through some old photos that I had set aside after my mom passed away, I had glanced at them, and thought that I should make copies for my two brothers and sister. Well I took a closer look at the notes attached to them and seen that my Great Grandmother was born in Winnepeg, Canada. I knew that my mom's grandparents had come to the U.S. (illegally?) sometime in the 1800's, but was never sure of when, or what their background was. I believed that side of the family is Scot-Irish, and one time I thought maybe French-Canadian, but when I asked my Mom if we were, she exclaimed "we're NOT FRENCH"!....ok, wrong assumption. But after her passing I had to get a copy of her birth certificate from about 60 miles away (Allegan, Mi.) where she was born. Of course where it said ethnicicity(easy for you to spell!) on the certificate was....French! go figure.
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Registered Abuser

Better join the Canuck Olds Facebook fan group.

French Canadian is way better than French, but just barely. My fathers last name is Tremblay. I have a whole bunch of frog eatin' blood in me. I tend to ignore it.
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Going through some old photos that I had set aside after my mom passed away, I had glanced at them, and thought that I should make copies for my two brothers and sister. Well I took a closer look at the notes attached to them and seen that my Great Grandmother was born in Winnepeg, Canada. I knew that my mom's grandparents had come to the U.S. (illegally?) sometime in the 1800's, but was never sure of when, or what their background was. I believed that side of the family is Scot-Irish, and one time I thought maybe French-Canadian, but when I asked my Mom if we were, she exclaimed "we're NOT FRENCH"!....ok, wrong assumption. But after her passing I had to get a copy of her birth certificate from about 60 miles away (Allegan, Mi.) where she was born. Of course where it said ethnicicity(easy for you to spell!) on the certificate was....French! go figure.
French are from France. We have Canadians who speak French as a first language just as we have Canadians who speak English as a first language.

Last edited by 442much; January 17th, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Welcome to the tribe!!! We also have Canadians on the other side of the french that sound kinda like they are speaking English but you can't understand them until you've had 5-6 beer.
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Cutlass Lover

Hey there Red Delta - I know some Tremblay's here! I worked for them at my previous job.... interesting!
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM

I have a good one for ya I lived in Allegan for almost 20 years both my kids were born there moved back to Mizzery in 2007 sometimes it is a small world.
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by dkiel358
I have a good one for ya I lived in Allegan for almost 20 years both my kids were born there moved back to Mizzery in 2007 sometimes it is a small world.
Well I'll be danged! I guess it is. Went to Allegan last summer @ Dino's restaurant for a small car show, wasn't bad, first time at that show. But it was 90F, which is a bit much around these parts.
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Yep 90 is a little warm for Mi. I was only about 1.5 miles from there down Babylon rd. never made it to any of the shows at Dino's. The fairground used to hold shows to I did hit a few of them. I do miss the summers in Michigan but i don't miss the snow.
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Hey I'm French Canadian too.
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Welcome to the tribe!!! We also have Canadians on the other side of the french that sound kinda like they are speaking English but you can't understand them until you've had 5-6 beer.
LOL! That is very fuuny!
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM

lol...that was pretty good.
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
welcome to the tribe!!! We also have canadians on the other side of the french that sound kinda like they are speaking english but you can't understand them until you've had 5-6 beer.
lol
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM

I think that entitles us to free Winter Olympics tickets right?
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Yep join the club on Facebook!!!!!!!
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM
olds..older..oldest

Heeerrree'ss TONY !!

Originally Posted by 1ATony
Hey I'm French Canadian too.
Hey Tony ! , Welcome back... When I left for St. Lucia a while back , you had gone AWOL . It's great to have you back , even tho' you admit to having that crazy Quebecois blood flowin' through your veins ! I'm sure there's some Oldsmobile lovers, even in la belle provence! Derek
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
Hey Tony ! , Welcome back... When I left for St. Lucia a while back , you had gone AWOL . It's great to have you back , even tho' you admit to having that crazy Quebecois blood flowin' through your veins ! I'm sure there's some Oldsmobile lovers, even in la belle provence! Derek
Thanks Derek. I didn't know I was french Canadian until my dad and I were watching the Bruins VRS the Canadians a few years back, and I said I hope we beat those guys, and he said you do know you're french Canadian banana head.
LOL

My grandmother is 89 and she was just telling us the other day a whole bunch of stuff that our ancestors settled up there.Was pretty interesting.
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1ATony
Thanks Derek. I didn't know I was french Canadian until my dad and I were watching the Bruins VRS the Canadians a few years back, and I said I hope we beat those guys, and he said you do know you're french Canadian banana head.
LOL

My grandmother is 89 and she was just telling us the other day a whole bunch of stuff that our ancestors settled up there.Was pretty interesting.
Tony, I'm a Canadiens fan and I remember sitting with my dad watching the Habs and Bruins and I said. "I hope we beat those guys" and dad said, "You know you like beans, admit it." I have to admit, I love New England but don't tell anyone...especially my American cousins.
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
Tony, I'm a Canadiens fan and I remember sitting with my dad watching the Habs and Bruins and I said. "I hope we beat those guys" and dad said, "You know you like beans, admit it." I have to admit, I love New England but don't tell anyone...especially my American cousins.
LOL..hey at least we can all have a good laugh at ourselves...lol