The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Fellas, GET YOUR PSA TESTED!

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2014, 11:38 AM

Fellas, GET YOUR PSA TESTED!

Hey guys, I recently made a page on one of my fishing websites about my recent experiences with prostate cancer. I was 51, 6'3", 205, active, fit, none of the usual symptoms. But, I had cancer. I am sharing this because it shows how crucial it is to get your PSA monitored once you hit your mid 40s. Also, there are a LOT of misconceptions out there, technology has changed things quite a bit.

The short version is we caught it early and I had it removed in September of 2013. 4 months after the surgery I am completely cancer-free and there are no changes in my quality of life. If anyone wants to read the entire story, here it is,
http://fishingcaseykey.com/my-battle...ostate-cancer/
If anyone is going through this and wants to talk about my situation and why I made the choices I did, feel free to PM me, Jim

P.S., the same goes for colon cancer. Get your colonoscopy (and endoscopy) done at 50. Both colon and prostate cancer are virtually 100% curable.
Old January 4th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glad to hear you were diagnosed and are now cancer free. Sometimes we don't hear success stories, so this is a nice heads up. Not many guys enjoy the snap of a rubber glove either, but PSA screening is non invasive but according to my Dr. it's not a 100% accurate test either. I'm 57 and have this test done yearly.

Item on the news just late in Dec 2013 - researchers hope to have a 100% cure for Cancer and Aids within the next 10 years.
Old January 4th, 2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Not many guys enjoy the snap of a rubber glove either, but PSA screening is non invasive but according to my Dr. it's not a 100% accurate test either. I'm 57 and have this test done yearly..
You are 100% correct, it is one of several factors, that is why a baseline is so important. Mine was 4.3, not terrible, but a jump of more than double from the previous year, along with the free PSA being out of whack, so I had the biopsy.
Old January 4th, 2014, 01:42 PM

I have a physical every year and i told my doctor to check my prostate thru blood test. I was 43 yrs old at that time and he told me that i have to be 50 yrs old to have the prostate check. I told him that everybody is different and i want it check. Anyway, my prostate is good but my cholesterol is high.
Old January 4th, 2014, 02:45 PM

Thumbs up Get tested!

I participate in a motorcycle Ride to Live out in Vancouver yearly. The rate of prostrate cancer in men is much higher than breast cancer in women. The great thing is that it's much more curable than breast cancer providing it is detected early. A PSA test is very non-invasive and is a very good indicator. The "digital" ain't no big deal boys! The doc don't enjoy it any more than you but he/she are professionals and it's no different than any other procedure.

Get er done and you could save your life!
Old January 4th, 2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
I participate in a motorcycle Ride to Live out in Vancouver yearly. The rate of prostrate cancer in men is much higher than breast cancer in women. The great thing is that it's much more curable than breast cancer providing it is detected early. A PSA test is very non-invasive and is a very good indicator. The "digital" ain't no big deal boys! The doc don't enjoy it any more than you but he/she are professionals and it's no different than any other procedure.

Get er done and you could save your life!

Very true. The old joke is you know that you are getting old when you look forward to your prostate exam!

In all seriousness, the in-office physical exam is nothing. Takes 30 seconds and besides a little pressure you feel nothing. Heck, the biopsy is a piece of cake. I would rather do both that get my teeth cleened at the dentist.
Old January 4th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by captjim
Takes 30 seconds and besides a little pressure you feel nothing. Heck, the biopsy is a piece of cake. I would rather do both that get my teeth cleened at the dentist.
Heck, I don't mind getting my teeth cleaned - my dentist has some of the nicest dental assistants you could ask for. As for my Dr. the only reason it's a bit of ummm you know, is SHE is really nice and cute if you know what I mean... and she does do a thorough physical exam. I just have to keep thinking 'oprah in a string bikini, oprah in a string bikin' - that helps a lot. Either that or I have to think of the "shoppers of Walmart"
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by captjim
Very true. The old joke is you know that you are getting old when you look forward to your prostate exam!

In all seriousness, the in-office physical exam is nothing. Takes 30 seconds and besides a little pressure you feel nothing. Heck, the biopsy is a piece of cake. I would rather do both that get my teeth cleened at the dentist.
I always shop for the Doc with the smallest fingers...........
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:27 PM

Please listen to Capt.Jim's advice.My urologist did the often used finger examination on me and thought everything was fine.Three months later my medical doctor ordered a PSA test and the result came back as a 7. He arranged for a biopsy by the same urologist, and 4 out of 8 showed cancer.I opted for robotic removal. Went in Monday at 5AM and at Noon on Tuesday, stopped by Cracker Barrel and ate.Few minor problems but very PSA is now 0. Look out April car shows, here i come !
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Please listen to Capt.Jim's advice.My urologist did the often used finger examination on me and thought everything was fine.Three months later my medical doctor ordered a PSA test and the result came back as a 7. He arranged for a biopsy by the same urologist, and 4 out of 8 showed cancer.I opted for robotic removal. Went in Monday at 5AM and at Noon on Tuesday, stopped by Cracker Barrel and ate.Few minor problems but very PSA is now 0. Look out April car shows, here i come !
Great story!! Thanks for sharing. IMO everybody, male and female, at age 45 or older should get a full blood work-up annually. By far our best defence is early detection. I think they over compensated for elevated blood pressure in my case, otherwise I would have gone home the next day, too.
Old January 4th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I was on a jury about 10 years ago. It was a medical mal-practice case. The guy was 48 and died from colon cancer. The showed a video of the guy about 3 weeks before he died. He looked like a skeleton with skin draped across him. I can remember the video today. I was well past 50 and had not had my colonostopy. When the trial was over I asked by wife to call and get me scheduled for one. Fortunately I was fine and it is time for another. I won't put it off this time. I do have the PSA test every year when I have my physical.
Old January 5th, 2014, 02:02 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Jim,
I am so glad to hear it all worked out well for you,good news!

I'm 49 but have had mine checked yearly for a few years now because of inflamed prostate issues.

Walter