The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Favorite vintage audio equipment?

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2021, 07:13 AM

Those are some interesting turntables. Super automatic. Are you limited in cartridge choice?

I need a stand for my "now playing" vinyl for the shots for the audio forum I hang out in. Right now, I just lean it on the other turntable for the picture.
Old June 1st, 2021, 07:19 AM

I was playing some new vinyl on my decades old Thorens this past weekend.
Old June 1st, 2021, 08:19 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Carts are available from the usual suspects. Technics OEM are desirable, but Ortofon Grado Stanton audio technica and Pickering all make P mounts, or T4Ps. Fair amount of stylus options too.

And Amazon has small plastic LP shelving to display “currently playing” album covers.

Thanks destructor, the Mac 1900 really provides a nice tube-like sound, interestingly Frank wouldn’t put his name on it, and would only allow them to be called Macs. Love to see your Thorens, legendary stuff.
Old June 1st, 2021, 12:08 PM

I will add what I have. Who remembers these?
Beautiful crisp, clear high end and mid range all from the Heil air motion transformers.

My accumulation of vinyl.

A pair of old Bose 301s that still work.

And a Thorens turntable

So there it is, most of it is nothing real special except the ESS speakers, I think they are awesome.
Truly a remarkable innovation in sound, They used to say they produced sound as clear as light.

Old June 1st, 2021, 12:38 PM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by vCode442
Love the stories, and the gear and the provenance, so let’s see more photos.

Show us LaScalas and Cornwalls or Klipschorns. Or some JBL L100s.
B&Ws and B&O. Or your tube gear. Or your sounddesign eight track cassette turntable all in one. I had one in seventh grade too🤣

Finally got around to joining this thread. Here are my Belle Klipsch recessed in a custom wall unit I built a few years ago, hated to hide their beautiful cabinets but space dictated. They are vintage 1985, I've owned them since 1986. They are oak finish, but I made false removable trim in maple to match the wall unit.

Recently acquired another set of Belles in oiled walnut. Driving these with a Yamaha Natural Sound CA-810 integrated amp I purchased new back in 1979.
I haven't been able to set them apart properly due to space right now so I'm using them sparingly.

Last edited by 69 Hurst; April 6th, 2022 at 08:05 AM.
Old June 1st, 2021, 03:08 PM
Running On Empty

My 1980 Booger Mark II-B Factory Upgrade Mark II-C+ 60/100W Simul Class, Reverb & Equalizer. All new capacitors Dec 2020.

Old June 1st, 2021, 08:35 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

LOVE those ESSs Devo, and the BKs and built ins are sweet 69.

Did you do the ‘booger’ recap VC? Well done.

So tonight a guy around the corner is selling his Kenwood KR 5600, 40WPC circa 1978, need it like another hole in my head. Sold!

Old June 1st, 2021, 08:51 PM
Running On Empty

vCode - Baron Hampton (owner of BearAmps) did the recaps w/ Mesa caps.
bearamps
FB

Old January 6th, 2022, 02:14 PM
MOTORHEAD

Hk

Scored the pair Ultrawide Band Monophonic DC Amplifiers yesterday
Thawing them out today

Old January 6th, 2022, 02:24 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by 69 Hurst
Finally got around to joining this thread. Here are my Belle Klipsch recessed in a custom wall unit I built a few years ago, hated to hide their beautiful cabinets but space dictated. They are vintage 1985, I've owned them since 1986. They are oak finish, but I made false removable trim in maple to match the wall unit.

Nice
I sold my Cornwalls to a local
He told me he was going to build them in , as you have. I never did see them installed at his place...

In Klipsch we trust
Old January 6th, 2022, 09:33 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Yeah, its an addiction, with no treatment options, but....

I don’t need no doctor!

Last edited by vCode442; January 7th, 2022 at 06:13 AM.
Old January 7th, 2022, 03:40 AM
MOTORHEAD

Aye

Old January 7th, 2022, 02:34 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Oddball Ampex ASR 100 receiver made in Japan circa 1971. Clean 18wpc with a large transformer and nice wood case. From the company that is said to have made the most realistic and lifelike tape recording machine ever.

The 16-track MM-1000 quickly became legendary for its tremendous flexibility, reliability and outstanding sound quality. This brought about the "golden age" of large format analog multitrack recorders, circa 1966.

Last edited by vCode442; January 7th, 2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old January 7th, 2022, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vCode442
Yeah, its an addiction, with no treatment options, but....

I don’t need no doctor!

So odd question but have you ever listened to reel to reel?
Old January 7th, 2022, 11:07 PM
Banned

PS: Zero calls for Technics? I never had a Technics ever let me down. Early Yamaha too. I have owned my Kenwood everything since the late eighties.
Old January 8th, 2022, 06:45 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Love analog, but reel to reel doesn’t fit my hobby mantra of buying low cost quality units, and bring them back to life. So much more fun to buy a $30 (3 head) cassette deck, rehab it and change the belts. Also my first real stereo ever was purchased at J&R music in lower Manhattan in 1981, a Technics SA 505, 63 WPC, made in Japan - one of my favorite receivers ever. Subsequently supplanted by a Technics SA 600.

Old January 8th, 2022, 09:28 AM
Banned

I asked because I have some early Teac reel to reels. I have a few things that honestly I doubt I will ever use. Slide projectors too ha ha. I will have to get some pictures.
Old January 8th, 2022, 10:32 AM
Running On Empty

I (We) used a TEAC and/or an AIKO reel-to-reel back in the mid-60s to produce "slap-back" effects in the several garage bands I belonged to. Slap-back was perhaps more commonly referred to as echo. At any rate, during this time period we also recorded some reel-to-reel tapes of our band(s) for playback. Nothing sophisticated, we were really only wanting to get that slap-back effect (this was prior to the development of real echo devices).
Old January 8th, 2022, 10:42 AM
Banned

The odd thing about them for me is how freaking heavy they are. It's crazy how heavy they are.
Old January 8th, 2022, 10:47 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
The odd thing about them for me is how freaking heavy they are. It's crazy how heavy they are.
My parents (and others) had a couple of the old 8mm movie camera/recorders which also required an 8mm projector to display the 8mm film. They were sorta/kinda fun. I recall several of us sneaking out our parents 8mm projector to watch more "interesting" (shall we say) films during those early days.
Old January 8th, 2022, 11:40 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

“Heavy” is typically an indication of build quality. My Bose 1801 amp from 1975 weighs 87 pounds. It’s a monster. When manufacturers started to leave Japan and go to Malaysia and Singapore et al, and utilize more plastic - build quality, sound and feel significantly deteriorated.

There is still high end gear built in the USA, Canada and the UK, but I have little to no interest in dropping 20K for a turntable or 40K for a pair of speakers. Or even 10% of that. No thanks.

Old January 8th, 2022, 11:44 AM

Speaking of "Heavy"
Old January 8th, 2022, 12:26 PM
Running On Empty

James - Takes me back to the days we listened to our family’s radio cabinet (may have been a Philips) and the little B&W RCA T.V. Mom had a Victrola with the tube/cylinders (music) before she graduated to platters.
Old January 8th, 2022, 12:33 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Yes those huge radios from the 30s 40s and 50s and of course the console units from the 60s and 70s are in a league of their own when it comes to weight! I remember hooking up a Pioneer Centrex 8 track player to my parents 200 pound Magnavox console unit when I was in junior high. They bought it at Richs in Atlanta, which back then sold everything you needed.
Old January 8th, 2022, 12:52 PM
Running On Empty

I worked for a Magnavox dealer (they owned three stores, Norton and Hines Magnavox, Fox River Valley, Illinois) in H.S. I/We were delivery boys right after school let out (weekdays) and all day both Saturday & Sunday. The dealer had a fleet (5-6) of Dodge/Ford vans. Your basic T.V. console was ~150lbs - 200lbs, the long big-boy cabinets with the T.V. and stereo enclosed pushed 250lbs - they were a beast to deliver but what absolutely gorgeous pieces of cabinetry. I recall to this day when the cabinets began to arrive with "plastic" legs, plastic escutcheons, plastic side panels, etc. We all thought - WTF. I owned a fair number of Magnavox pieces of equipment - several of the original 8-track players when they first came out.
Old January 8th, 2022, 07:31 PM

I've since turned my mondo stereo into a quadraphonic setup with the help of a quadraphonic preamp that sits in a tape loop on my receiver. Add to that an amplifier for the rear channels and another pair of speakers and we're off to 4 channel land. Still working on the sources, I have a CD-4 demodulator but have not set up a turntable yet for it.
Old April 5th, 2022, 06:43 PM

This guy arrived in the big brown truck of happiness today after a long and somewhat delayed journey from CA. A short production run pre-amp, it was part of the separates that were colleagues of the big receivers in the late 70s Receiver Power Wars. Combine that with a 2130 tuner and a 170DC or 300DC power amp, and you have quite the cat's *** for a 70s stereo component stack.

Last edited by Koda; April 5th, 2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old April 5th, 2022, 06:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
This guy arrived in the big brown truck of happiness today after a long and somewhat delayed journey from CA. A short production run pre-amp, it was part of the separates that were colleagues of the big receivers in the late 70s Receiver Power Wars. Combine that with a 2130 tuner and a 170DC or 300DC power amp, and you have quite the cat's *** for a 70s stereo component stack.
Fun!

Old April 6th, 2022, 06:50 AM
Jeff

But no cabinet on it! The horror!! Just kidding, of course. How much did that set you back?

I have a spot cleared out in my office for a vintage tuner, just need to find the right one.
Old April 6th, 2022, 08:12 AM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69 Hurst

Recently acquired another set of Belles in oiled walnut. Driving these with a Yamaha Natural Sound CA-810 integrated amp I purchased new back in 1979.
I haven't been able to set them apart properly due to space right now so I'm using them sparingly.

Old April 6th, 2022, 08:56 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

The big dogs are coming out to play. Beautiful and scarce Belles, and that rarely seen Marantz preamp is very sweet, albeit sans wood case

Recently pulled this out, forgot how cool it was, Technics SH 8030 “space dimension controller”. Dolby surround sound - analog style, circa 1981.

Old April 6th, 2022, 07:28 PM

Weezer, a good amount. Neat thing is it was owned by a retired Marantz engineer, so we talked on the phone for 45 min about it. I really don't care for the wooden case as an accessory. Adds weight, size, and heat retention. If you want a Marantz tuner, a 2130 is about the last "good" one (and there's a few throughout the years as well). See 2130 on the left below.

Norm, it's been fun so far. Put it through about half the tricks.

69H, those are nice. I don't know where those sit relative to La Scalas, Cornwalls, and Fortes. Nice amp, too, my buddy is a Yamaha man.

V Code, I do like Technics. My vinyl is taken care of by 3 SL-1200s. There's a nice 4 channel scope that comes up on ebay once in a while, badged either Technics or Panasonic. That is a WEIRD thing there. I see EQ, and I think Reverb. I wonder if it does SQ or QS quad; probably not, a little too new for that. I have a weird little preamp called a Quadradial Adapter, the Marantz 4000. It's a preamp set up to sit between two stereos and make it quad. Interesting little dude.

Here's the 2130 tuner, the 3650 preamp, the 170DC and the 300DC power amps. I need to expand the rack for them.

Old April 7th, 2022, 02:52 PM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koda
Weezer, a good amount. Neat thing is it was owned by a retired Marantz engineer, so we talked on the phone for 45 min about it. I really don't care for the wooden case as an accessory. Adds weight, size, and heat retention. If you want a Marantz tuner, a 2130 is about the last "good" one (and there's a few throughout the years as well). See 2130 on the left below.

Norm, it's been fun so far. Put it through about half the tricks.

69H, those are nice. I don't know where those sit relative to La Scalas, Cornwalls, and Fortes. Nice amp, too, my buddy is a Yamaha man.

V Code, I do like Technics. My vinyl is taken care of by 3 SL-1200s. There's a nice 4 channel scope that comes up on ebay once in a while, badged either Technics or Panasonic. That is a WEIRD thing there. I see EQ, and I think Reverb. I wonder if it does SQ or QS quad; probably not, a little too new for that. I have a weird little preamp called a Quadradial Adapter, the Marantz 4000. It's a preamp set up to sit between two stereos and make it quad. Interesting little dude.

Here's the 2130 tuner, the 3650 preamp, the 170DC and the 300DC power amps. I need to expand the rack for them.

Koda,
The Belles are really a dressed up version of the LaScala that was available during the same era. As far as I remember they use the same internal components as LaScala but are 7" wider and 6" shallower. Price wise they sat between Horns and LaScalas. The story goes Paul Klipsch's wife Belle wanted a version of the LaScala offered that wasn't as "rough" looking and would be more aesthetically pleasing to the ladies. They really do look like furniture. They were not carried forward as part of the Heritage line for very long as the LaScala kind of took over and became much more refined.

I love the CA-810, its given me 43 years of trouble free performance and I've been a dedicated Yamaha man because of it.

Last edited by 69 Hurst; April 7th, 2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old April 8th, 2022, 03:35 AM
Rodney

I owned a recoding studio for about 25 years (1993-2018) and we had several McIntosh 5100 amps in our equipment racks that were used for the headphone "cue" system. I always thought they sounded good, but were pretty sensitive to grounding issues when racked with other gear. We had one go bad so I replaced the power supply capacitors and some of the input caps; the sound improvement was amazing!
Here's a pic.

Rodney

Old April 8th, 2022, 01:49 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Picked this up today off CL from the original owner. He purchased it from the PX in Cuba when he served in the Navy, 1973. Original receipt, owner's manual, maintenance records, and other ephemera related to the turntable. A beautiful example of German inguinuity that functions flawlessly.

Old April 8th, 2022, 02:58 PM
Rodney

That Dual turntable is sweet! Love that you got the original purchase doumentation.
Old April 8th, 2022, 08:10 PM

That's wonderful. It's beautiful, works well, and has all the exotic provenance you could ask for. My old man laments getting rid of his Dual that stopped working.

I have put this Marantz 3650 preamp through the paces and am about to text the seller that it's great. I learned it has a little signal crossbleed, which is not an issue, and that the protection kicking in can only be heard in the speakers, not audibly on its own. Lastly, being a preamp, it has no amplification, but it does have a speaker splitter selector. So, if you run line out to the amp, then speaker power signal back from the amp into the switchable inputs, you could run A, B, or A+B speaker pairs. I did NOT know that this is what the headphone jack listens to, so, if you DON'T run it back (like you only have one set of speakers, so, no need), the headphone jack is dead. Not that it matters as I won't use headphones on it, but I was checking all function. It does work with the speaker power run through the splitter for A, B, A+B, and None speaker selection.

Old April 8th, 2022, 08:33 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

I'm not so familiar with your new toy, the Marantz 3650 preamp; it sounds like you have harnessed it's energy though.

About the Dual, I can understand your father's disgust with his decision to rid himself of his turntable (aren't we all guilty of such actions at some time or another?); they are built like tanks, and Iikely only a minor problem to correct when it stopped functioning.

Old April 9th, 2022, 04:32 AM

Hmmmmm you guys might be in luck lol

Well interesting thread ! I have inherited all of my uncles stereo gear he was quite the stereo buff there are a few high end looking reel to reels ( teac etc) and several receivers amplifiers turn tables etc , once I get back if anyone is interested I could see what’s there and offer it up, I have no idea what any of this stuff is worth, I will be following along and hoping to get an idea
Old April 9th, 2022, 09:25 AM

Eddie, that'd be fine. Depending on model number I might be interested in the TEAC R2R stuff and maybe other stuff. We can help appraise and find market for you, too.

Quick Reply: Favorite vintage audio equipment?