The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Does anybody still barter ?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2022, 12:16 PM

Does anybody still barter ?

I recently posted some pics of my 64 restore and it got me to thinking, you see I know when I'm in over my head, for example I purchased my 64 seat covers and headliner from Pioneer Classic Chevy with the intention of installing them myself it soon became evident that I did not have the proper tools or the know how I searched out a very small upholstery shop, I thought it was worth a shot to ask him if he bartered services he said he never thought of it ! I asked him if he needed anything he said yes a lawnmower !! well as luck would have it I was working for Montgomery Ward at the time and I had access to mowers that had been sent in for repair and never claimed !! I bought a small riding mower for next to nothing (dirt , dirt cheap ) cleaned it up and traded it to the guy for the install of the headliner and seat covers
he did a great job and was happy as hell to get the mower,
When I needed a concrete slab for my patio I bartered the labor, I put upper control arm bushings in a buddy's Chevelle and he laid the concrete, he got me a great deal on the concrete and he did the labor in exchange for my labor ,
one of my neighbors was a roofer I bartered the roof on my patio in exchange for installing a stereo in his Nissan Z. not to long a go I traded some work (A/C service) for some computer repair.
It helps to do a little networking.
So I'm curious does anybody still barter/trade work or is it a thing of the past like so many other things ?
Old May 25th, 2022, 01:32 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I do. Have a plant nursery. Have traded plants for 2 paint jobs one on my 68 s and one on my 85 custom cruiser. Also got a rebuilt 350 for plants and cash. Have done of other things and hope to do more in the future..
Old May 25th, 2022, 02:25 PM
Banned

I also do. Plenty. Usually bicycle stuff. I try and thin out and then bam. Another deal. 🤣
Old May 26th, 2022, 02:20 AM
H/o

Do they still have a barter section on craigslist?
Old May 26th, 2022, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I also do. Plenty. Usually bicycle stuff. I try and thin out and then bam. Another deal. 🤣
Schwinns?
Old May 26th, 2022, 02:04 PM

In the good old days you could get a small wiring job for a case of beer. Today the guy shows up with a calculator.