The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Awesome hors d' oeuvre

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2009, 06:18 AM

Awesome hors d' oeuvre

Had company last nite and made one of my faovrites to much on with Cocktails.

I was introduced to this in Seattle at Trader Vics when I went to see the Falcons lose [many years ago]

Rumaki
12 slices bacon, halved crosswise
12 ounces chicken livers, halved
12 whole water chestnuts, halved

Marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon sugar
• The Rumaki Recipe begins with the marinade, of course: Combine soy sauce, ginger, sherry and sugar in a small bowl. Add the chicken livers and water chestnut pieces and marinate them in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
• Place 1 chicken liver piece and 1 chestnut piece in the center of each bacon-half, wrap, and secure with a toothpick.
• Place the Rumaki on a broiler pan or shallow baking pan and broil, about 5 or 6 inches from the heat, until the bacon is crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Or, you can bake the appetizers in a 375° oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
• • Serve hot. Makes 24 appetizers.
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM
Cutlass Lover

Eeeewwww... chicken livers???? Where's the good bakery stuff???

Old December 21st, 2009, 08:08 AM
Registered

Those horse divers sound really good.
I wonder if my recent weight gain has anything to do with this site??

I saw Wolfman drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics, his hair was perfect.

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Eeeewwww... chicken livers???? Where's the good bakery stuff???

http://="https://classicoldsmobile.c....jpg[/IMG]
Put ketchup on them and they'll taste fine Sandy.

Any crawcrabcake recipes Jamesbo?
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:37 AM

Bourbon Cookies

Sandy,

I'm not a big sweet eater but here's one fer ya.

1 6 ounce semi sweet chocolate
1 package Nestles all purpose cookie mix
1/2 cup bourbon
2 Tablespoons water

Melt chocolate in double boiler
Combine cookie mix and water
Mix well
Add chocolate and blend well

Drop 1/2 teasppons 3 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet
Bake 375 bfor 6 minutes
cool 2 minutes and remove.

Makes 8 dozen
The first pan may take longer, the second shorter.
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Those horse divers sound really good.
I wonder if my recent weight gain has anything to do with this site??

Put ketchup on them and they'll taste fine Sandy.

Any crawcrabcake recipes Jamesbo?

Oh God! You crack me up!!! Horse divers!!! Crawcrabcakes!

If you sample all the recipies Jamesbo puts on here, I'm sure you're gaining weight!!! Too many fats!!! I'm not eating any chicken livers... with or without ketchup!!!

The cookies sound good. I'm about burned out on sweets and smelling sugar and chocolate!!

...You better stay away from him, he'll rip your lungs out, Jim
Huh.. I'd like to meet his tailor...
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Registered

Oh God! You crack me up!!! Horse divers!!! Crawcrabcakes!

If you sample all the recipies Jamesbo puts on here, I'm sure you're gaining weight!!! Too many fats!!! I'm not eating any chicken livers... with or without ketchup!!!

The cookies sound good. I'm about burned out on sweets and smelling sugar and chocolate!!

...You better stay away from him, he'll rip your lungs out, Jim
How could anybody get burned out on sweets?
It's just for the present moment I bet, you'll be stuffing your face with chocolate covered chicken livers in no time Sandy.

It's like getting too drunk, you swear the next day you'll never do it again every time.

I have a horse diver recipe.

Taco Shells
Cheese

Break taco shell into pieces and place cheese hunks on taco shells and eat.

If you want the cheese melted light up the Bernz-O-Matic or fire wrench.

"He's the hairy handed gent who ran amok in Kent, Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair."

Hairy-handed???

I bet good old Wolfman don't eat chicken with his fingers.
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Cutlass Lover

Chocolate covered chicken livers! LOL!! It scares me - the way your mind works!!

I would eat your horse diver recipe! I like cheese and taco shells - though I think I would put them in the oven to melt the cheese. Flame wrenches scare me!

"I saw Wolfman with a chinese menu in his hand, walkin the streets of Soho in the rain... Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mein"!!!!
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM
GM Enthusiast

Chicken livers.....I'm with Sandy. But I do like the sweet recipe. I need to go get some bourbon to try that one. Thanks!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
Registered

My grandma would cook chicken livers every day for her cat, she said he wouldn't eat cat food.
I wouldn't either if I could hold out and get gourmet chicken livers.

I think I'm going to go back into the old 'hood to the Jewish deli and pick up a 4 inch tall hot corned beast sandwich and some chopped liver to pig-out later on.
Our boss at the gas station would get those sandwiches if he felt sorry enough for us, not much better food on earth than a good corned beast sandwich.
Pumping gas nonstop until the tanks ran dry in sub-zero weather during the Arab oil embargo you had about a second to run inside and grab a bite and a sip of Swiss-Miss hot chocolate water between cars.

I worked at a station directly across the street from my high school front hangout and main entrance, all my automotive fuel dispensing skills on full display, I was a pump god in my own mind.

I would have nightmares hearing "ding-ding" and "I got the last one this one's yours" over and over.

Chow Mein?, talk about eeeeew.
I went to a real Chinese restaurant with my wife's brother and her half-Chinese nephews and I'll never get the images and smells out of my brain, I may need therapy someday.

"Insane in the membrane,
Insane in the brain".

Those kids and their mother ate the brains and membranes.
Ever see a kid get an ice cream cone and put shrimp and tripe on it?

I bet you're real hungry now Sandy.

"On a hot summer night,
would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?"
Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

A pump god in your own mind!!! LOL! You're something, alright! So you don't like Chinese, huh?? I love beef fried rice... and egg rolls!!! The Oriental Dragon in Macedonia is a good place!!!

I also love corned beast sandwiches! Slyman's Deli??? There used to be a great place in Macedonia, but they moved Cleveland way somewhere... I can usually only eat half a sandwich... they're sooo big!!

..."On a hot summer night,

"Yes. Will he offer me his teeth? Yes. Will he offer me his jaws? Yes. Will he offer me his hunger? Yes."
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Registered

A pump god in your own mind!!! LOL! You're something, alright! So you don't like Chinese, huh?? I love beef fried rice... and egg rolls!!! The Oriental Dragon in Macedonia is a good place!!!

I also love corned beast sandwiches! Slyman's Deli??? There used to be a great place in Macedonia, but they moved Cleveland way somewhere... I can usually only eat half a sandwich... they're sooo big!!

"Yes. Will he offer me his teeth? Yes. Will he offer me his jaws? Yes. Will he offer me his hunger? Yes."
I bet you say that to all the boys!!!!

I met wifey Laura when that was just out, could you believe she had never been to a drive-in movie or up to Inspiration Point??
I fixed that.

Slymans!, I think that was in Cleveland way before Macedonia was there, Lefton's and the Shaker Deli are pretty good too.
Don't forget to get a chocolate phosphate with that, they always give you the giant kosher dill pickle sliced in half but I'm no pickle person, the pickle juice touches the sandwich sometimes and taints it.

I get minus pickle at Burger King and look after I get the burger and they'll be pickle prints in the cheese, I could do that.
There's nothing worse than biting down on a pickle when you think it's not there.
My lifelong single and late elder car buddy and Olds guy friend ate exclusively at Slymans deli, Geraci's Pizza, and had bagels w/cream cheese and locks with the boys every morning at Corky & Lenny's deli.
I think that's what killed him.
What a way to go.
I miss him stopping by and yelling at me about what I was doing to the car, I also miss the stuff he borrowed that I'll never see again.

Sure get lonely anymore, will you be my friend and stop by and yell at me every once in awhile Sandy???
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Oldsdruid

Shicken livers are OK once in a while. Poke and beef liver, well, let's just say it ain't high on my list of edibles. My daddy used to like pork brains and eggs scrambled together for breakfast. He'd say "Eat some o' that boy, it'll make ya smart!" I told him once I'd as soon stay a dumb *** since that what he always called me anyway...

Went in a Chinese place in NYC Chinatown once and they had jellyfish on the menu. I was glad they didn't serve us any.

"Saw a werewolf trying to buy a used car in Del Mar, it was a blood red Coupe de Ville"- live version from "Stand in the Fire"

Had the pleasure of seeing the late Mr. Zevon live in a small club around 1990, and when he sang about the Pina Colada at Trader Vic's, right on cue the whole place said "AND HIS HAIR WAS PERFECT!"

Send lawyers guns and money... you know the rest!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Cutlass Lover

Funny!!!!! LOL!!!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Registered

Just send me the guns, money and Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner to take care of the lawyers.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Cutlass Lover

I bet you say that to all the boys!!!!

I met wifey Laura when that was just out, could you believe she had never been to a drive-in movie or up to Inspiration Point??
I fixed that.

Slymans!, I think that was in Cleveland way before Macedonia was there, Lefton's and the Shaker Deli are pretty good too.
Don't forget to get a chocolate phosphate with that, they always give you the giant kosher dill pickle sliced in half but I'm no pickle person, the pickle juice touches the sandwich sometimes and taints it.

I get minus pickle at Burger King and look after I get the burger and they'll be pickle prints in the cheese, I could do that.
There's nothing worse than biting down on a pickle when you think it's not there.
My lifelong single and late elder car buddy and Olds guy friend ate exclusively at Slymans deli, Geraci's Pizza, and had bagels w/cream cheese and locks with the boys every morning at Corky & Lenny's deli.
I think that's what killed him.
What a way to go.
I miss him stopping by and yelling at me about what I was doing to the car, I also miss the stuff he borrowed that I'll never see again.

Sure get lonely anymore, will you be my friend and stop by and yell at me every once in awhile Sandy???

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Poor Laura!! I bet you did fix the situation!!! LOL! Slyman's has been around a long time from what I hear. Where I used to work, we had a guy who lived close by there, and he would stop by and get us corned beast sammies once in a while. I never ate the pickle either!

I do like pickles on my burgers! I put pickles in my deviled eggs, egg salad, and tater salad too. Chopped fine, of course! I've heard of Geraci's pizza, but I've never had it. I don't go to Cleveland or any of it's burbs! I love Bruger's Bagels - Cinnamon raisin... mmmmmmm... with just a little cream cheese....

Ah, don't be lonely! I'm already your friend, and I will gladly yell at you!! Just wait till you're paintin the engine! LOL!!! Though, you'll probably be yelling at me! And I will yell back!! You're so funny!!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM

You forgot ham salad, tuna salad, and chicken salad with minced pickles. Ever made Devil ham dip with mayo and miced pickles.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Cutlass Lover

Oops...... My bad!!! How could I have forgotten those?? Yep... all have to have pickles!!!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Registered

Plaese don't take it personally when Redgoat yells or mumbles stuff under his breath.

I don't do pickle in any way, shape, or form.
Relish is evil.

I was totally clueless unless it had four wheels. I was a perfect gentleman as I am now and almost became a priest back then Sandy, Laura actually taught me everything I know and it wasn't easy.

I spent all my time working on cars to get the girls then I didn't know what to do when I finally got one.
She asked me out for our first date because she got tired of waiting for me after giving me about a billion obvious signals that went right over my head.
Aw shucks.

You don't set foot anywhere near Cleveland do you Sandy??
The Mega Bus my daughter in college takes drops off and picks up on west third and I've been hanging out there lately.
The Hard Rock is down there and the drunk college punks asking where the bus is going are a problem. I liked the winos and bums that used to hang out there better, guard your truck and tools all day for five dollars, or else.

I'm a city and 'burbs boy but I didn't move way out here to the semi-rural outer fringes for nothing.
It's still too dark and quiet to go to sleep sometimes.

Last edited by Bluevista; December 22nd, 2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Reddus Goattus
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Cutlass Lover

Plaese don't take it personally when Redgoat yells or mumbles stuff under his breath.

I don't do pickle in any way, shape, or form.
Relish is evil.

I was totally clueless unless it had four wheels. I was a perfect gentleman as I am now and almost became a priest back then Sandy, Laura actually taught me everything I know and it wasn't easy.

I spent all my time working on cars to get the girls then I didn't know what to do when I finally got one.
She asked me out for our first date because she got tired of waiting for me after giving me about a billion obvious signals that went right over my head.
Aw shucks.

You don't set foot anywhere near Cleveland do you Sandy??
The Mega Bus my daughter in college takes drops off and picks up on west third and I've been hanging out there lately.
The Hard Rock is down there and the drunk college punks asking where the bus is going are a problem. I liked the winos and bums that used to hang out there better, guard your truck and tools all day for five dollars, or else.

I'm a city and 'burbs boy but I didn't move way out here to the semi-rural outer fringes for nothing.
It's still too dark and quiet to go to sleep sometimes.

Don't you worry about me handling Redgoat.... I can fire right back with the best of 'em!! LOL! I'm sure he won't make me open a can of Whoop A$$!!

Relish is evil???? What do you put on your hot dogs??? Gotta have relish!

LOL! You sound like Larry.... He loves to tell everyone how 'innocent' he was when he met me! "I was studying for the preisthood and she corrupted me"... That's almost funny! Poor Laura!!! I remember guys like that. It's like... do I have to hit you over the head or what? Hello??? Pay attention here! LOL!! It's refreshing to know that you're still a gentleman... Larry is too. Not too many out there any more!!

Nope... I don't go to Cleveland! I've been downtown to an Indians game, and a few concerts at the Gund... and to the airshow a few times, but I don't drive there and I don't stay there! It scares me! I bet you fit right in, hanging on the corner!! LOL! You crack me up!!!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
car nut farmer

Mmm, chicken livers. It's whats for dinner when the fish don't bite.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
Cutlass Lover

I agree with you!!!!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:04 AM

Suggestions

I have been summoned by the family [ actually "She" who must be obeyed family, who FYI is a good Irish Catholic and the baby of 9] to provide Hors d'oeuvre.

So my dear Olds friends. If you were me [or is it I] and you had to provide hor d'oeuvres for a Christmas party the size of The Cast of Spartacus.

What would be your favorite?
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:28 AM
car nut farmer

shish-ka-bobs. (sp)

pkg. shelled, raw shrimp
small chunks chicken breast
cubed onion
whole mushrooms
chunks of bell pepper
chunks of FRESH pineapple
polish sausage pieces
skewers

Soak skewers in water, alternate pieces of food on skewers, drizzle olive oil over them, sprinkle on salt and fresh ground pepper, place on bbq grill until chicken is firm.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:32 AM

Thanks, Sounds Yummy but I have to travel it and searve about 75 people.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:49 AM
car nut farmer

I wasn't thinking, being Irish and Catholic just take beer.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:53 AM
Captain of my ship

Thanks , I work at it.

you better stay away from him, he'll rip your lungs out, Jim
Mmmmm ... lungs are a personnel favorite. My tailor is also a hairdresser

"He's the hairy handed gent who ran amok in Kent, Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair."

Hairy-handed???

I bet good old Wolfman don't eat chicken with his fingers.[/quote]

I eat them with my teeth like everybody else , after I rip the heads off

"I saw Wolfman with a chinese menu in his hand, walkin the streets of Soho in the rain... Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mein"!!!![/quote]

I was actually going to order in , that way I get to eat chinese , and chinese food

"On a hot summer night,
would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?"[/quote]

Why do you think I have a whole yard full of red roses

"Yes. Will he offer me his teeth? Yes. Will he offer me his jaws? Yes. Will he offer me his hunger? Yes."[/quote]

Now youv'e gone and made me hungry... I bet you like red roses Sandy
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Cutlass Lover

I do like red roses!!! I like any kind of roses. We have about 30 rose bushes. I pick them all summer, and I bring them to work with me so I can smell them all the time! Ummmmmmm....
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo.... Ya gotta make "horse divers" again???

Just make some spinach dip and take some crackers, or make a cheeseball and take some crackers. Might not be in the "horse diver" catagory, but good munchies none the less!!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Registered

Question What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?

Sandy's the Red Rose of Ohio.
She'll give you her throat but the rest is gonna' cost you big time, and no parting out.

Wasn't Rose Red the evil one with the long very dark hair and Rose White the good blonde one in the kid book.

Sort of like the nice blonde Samantha and her naughty dark-haired cousin Serena on Bewitched.

Snow White has black hair and plays with forest creatures in her yard too, and Sandy said she lives with grumpy a few times???

I have an idea.
I wonder if those dwarves are in the screen actors guild??
The flying monkey union boss is killing me in contract negotiations.

Now back to what this site is for....food.

How about a full scale cheese log Jamesbo?

Bacon?

Would you believe a cheese beach ball??

My mom would make a vat of Swedish Meatballs and a vat of those little Vienna sausages with the dipping sauce or already in the stuff when the whole family had Christmas together, Animal House plus Ben-Hur cast.

Sometimes the Vienna sausage wrapped in Pillsbury something roll dough, also with some sort of mystery sauce.
We just dipped our hands in the boiling vats like a bear scooping up and eating burning tire rubber in an Alaskan dump and ate or snorted them but normally you need lots of toothpicks and little plates and napkins too.
Would ultimate cloths work as napkins?
My wife secretly just got a bunch of them to give out on Christmas.

A quarter scale '69 Oldsmobile A-body cheeseball??
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Cutlass Lover

You crack me up!!!

...She'll give you her throat but the rest is gonna' cost you big time, and no parting out.

You got that right!!!!
Old December 24th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Captain of my ship

I do like red roses!!! I like any kind of roses. We have about 30 rose bushes. I pick them all summer, and I bring them to work with me so I can smell them all the time! Ummmmmmm....
Ok here you go Sandy , some red roses for christmas....no strings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
039.jpg (64.6 KB, 3 views)
Old December 24th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oooohhhh.... how beautiful!!! Looks like a climber? Did they smell delicious???? Thanks for the lovely present! LOL! Here's another favorite of mine, the Stargazer lily.... talk about smelling good!!!

DSC00790.jpg
Old December 25th, 2009, 03:39 AM
car nut farmer

So, whatya fixin'?
Old December 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Captain of my ship

Oooohhhh.... how beautiful!!! Looks like a climber? Did they smell delicious???? Thanks for the lovely present! LOL! Here's another favorite of mine, the Stargazer lily.... talk about smelling good!!!

Nice , I probably have about 40 different types of them , oriental , asiatic , trumpet , daylilie all sizes and colors.
Old December 25th, 2009, 02:32 PM

well

Originally Posted by 71rocket
So, whatya fixin'?
I had some empty drywall mud buckets, So I filled one up with my World Famous Pimento cheese dip, another one up with clam dip [with onions, cream cheese, sour cream, worchester sauce and minced scallions] and another one up with a sherry cheese nut stuff [dip/spread]

It's not a whole lot different than "slopping Hogs"

But I got thru it and survived another "Family" Christmas party.

Now it's time to take a little Christmas nappy
Old December 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM
car nut farmer

Sounded good.
Old December 26th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Now it's time to take a little Christmas nappy
Did you enjoy your nappy. I saw you drooling on the key board with a smile on your face with thoughts of little 69 HO'S dancing in your head. No thats not a tiger joke.
Old December 26th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Cutlass Lover

Now that was funny Citcapp!!!! Keep that sense of humor and you'll be young forever!!!!! LOL!
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Oldsdruid

My mom would make a vat of Swedish Meatballs and a vat of those little Vienna sausages with the dipping sauce or already in the stuff when the whole family had Christmas together, Animal House plus Ben-Hur cast.

Sometimes the Vienna sausage wrapped in Pillsbury something roll dough, also with some sort of mystery sauce.

Umph. Vienna sausage. Correctly pronounced "Vi-eener tausige" or just "Vi-eeners". Those, along with Rose potted meat, Castleberry Georgia Hash and a small can of Phillips Pork & Beans, are foods fit only for tobacco-pulling time or other hot nasty time-critical field work when you really don't have time to eat anything else. Ya gotta have Lance saltine crackers with 'em, and if you're lucky a short Co-Cola or a short Country Club beer. Ate my weight in the stuff when I was 'baccer farming.

Though I'll admit sometimes now I'll stop in a country store and grab a can of Georgia Hash and a pack of Lance crackers for a quick lunch. Eat the damn stuff cold and wash it down with that short Co-Cola if they have 'em.
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:27 AM
BobsW32

OK

Here is one I invented....Everyone says WOW

Get 5 grain Wheat Thins they will be with the Wheat Thins in the cracker Isle
Put Philadelphia Cream Cheese, with pineapple,, on them
Then top this with Red Pepper Jelly from the jelly isle...I like Brasswells better than anyone elses'

Easy to do.....no one has ever had anything like it and everyone says WOW

Last edited by Bobsw32; January 4th, 2010 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Awesome hors d' oeuvre