Upper control arm bushings 1978 Omega

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2014, 07:14 PM

Upper control arm bushings 1978 Omega

I have found the control arm bushings to be a pain all around, I have all done but two uppers, two of the uppers I did with a ball joint press, worked beautifully... But once I put the shaft in there is no way to get the bushings in on that side... HOW do I get them in?
Doesn't matter but these are the arms with slightly different diameter upper bushings. Parts shop gave me all the same so I had to order from NPD
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1978 Oldsmobile Omega
I have found the control arm bushings to be a pain all around, I have all done but two uppers, two of the uppers I did with a ball joint press, worked beautifully... But once I put the shaft in there is no way to get the bushings in on that side... HOW do I get them in?
Doesn't matter but these are the arms with slightly different diameter upper bushings. Parts shop gave me all the same so I had to order from NPD
The factory way is to use a tool that looks like a ball joint press but has a notch in the lower end to fit over the shaft. The home mechanic way is to cut a piece of angle iron (hardwood will probably also work) that just fits between the legs of the upper control arm. Now you can install the other bushing with a hydraulic press or, in a pinch, a hammer and large socket or piece of pipe. I've done it that way, it works. Be sure to put grease on the mating surface of the bushing sleeve and be sure the socket or pipe only presses on the outer metal sleeve of the bushing, not on the rubber.
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The factory way is to use a tool that looks like a ball joint press but has a notch in the lower end to fit over the shaft. The home mechanic way is to cut a piece of angle iron (hardwood will probably also work) that just fits between the legs of the upper control arm. Now you can install the other bushing with a hydraulic press or, in a pinch, a hammer and large socket or piece of pipe. I've done it that way, it works. Be sure to put grease on the mating surface of the bushing sleeve and be sure the socket or pipe only presses on the outer metal sleeve of the bushing, not on the rubber.
I have tried a bit with a socket but I didn't have a good size, I will give that another shot, by any chance can a similar tool to the factories be rented? Thank you for the help.
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

I have tried a bit with a socket but I didn't have a good size, I will give that another shot, by any chance can a similar tool to the factories be rented? Thank you for the help.
I don't know if you can rent one, but it looks like this:

If you are using a socket, you MUST use one that fits only on the metal outer sleeve. If you try to use a socket that presses on the rubber, all the force of hitting it get's absorbed by the rubber.
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

If you are using a socket, you MUST use one that fits only on the metal outer sleeve. If you try to use a socket that presses on the rubber, all the force of hitting it get's absorbed by the rubber.
I will be sure to find a good fitting socket, but that looks like a neat tool, I will have to find me one of those. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by 1978 Oldsmobile Omega; August 11th, 2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:34 AM

Took no time at all, just in case anyone is looking here is a really nice set from summit.
SPC Performance Upper Control Arm Bushing Service Sets 40910
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (15.6 KB, 20 views)
Old August 11th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Took no time at all, just in case anyone is looking here is a really nice set from summit.
SPC Performance Upper Control Arm Bushing Service Sets 40910
The first picture I posted was from an ad on Amazon. Shop around.