Frame Rust

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2008, 05:04 AM

Frame Rust

So i banged all around my frame with hammer pretty hard since thats the only test i really can think of and this is the only bad part i really found and it looks pretty bad. Im not looking for show quality or even a daily driver and really dont want to do a frame off but i realy want do something to this section. What can I do for this part of the frame and where should i go?

frame-1.jpg

frame-2.jpg

Last edited by UCF72Cutlass; May 25th, 2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Oh no!
That's not good at all. Where on the frame is that? If it's just under the trunk floor, it's not so bad. If it's up front somewhere that sees turning and motor flex, I'd tear the car down and get it some help, or get another Cutlass.

Remember, the entire body of your car is only held onto the frame, by 10 bolts. Rotten frames are no joke if in a bad spot. Check all of your body mounts and make sure that they haven't pushed through into the top of the frame anywhere.
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Its right infront of the passenger rear tire. Everything else "looks" good. The front of the car and frame is MUCH better shape than the back. So what do you recommend?
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Hmm...
I guess now it depends on what kind of time, budget, and plans you have for the car.

For a cheap-o fix, you could take a die grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut out the rot. Sand blast the crap out of it, and weld a big piece of steel in there.

If this car isn't going to see much weather, horsepower, or hard riding time, you'll get away with that repair for years to come.

If you're going to soup this thing up and beat on it, I'd start over with something else, or get that frame of yours out from under the body and do it up proper.
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Thanks...I'll probably go with that fix. My plans for the car are a just a garage kept weekend cruiser. Highly doubt it will ever see a drag strip or car show and hopefully never a for sale sign.