Chassis difference ( exhaust) 68-72 vs 73-77 A-body

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2020, 02:19 AM

Chassis difference ( exhaust) 68-72 vs 73-77 A-body

Didnt know where to put it, thought to put it here.

Ive been trying to source exhaust for 73-77 A-body pretty much to no avail. Of course custom is always an option aswell, but when you sum up buying parts one at a time, it costs same or more as kits + working with it to make it fit.
What im wondering, is there how huge difference between the frames of these different body styles? Could 68-72 full exhaust probaby be transplanted without too much hassle to my body?
There would be for example Magnaflow 15894 exhaust kit for sale locally. I found one shady notion from other Oldsmobile forum that somebody would had adopted this particular exhaust to 73-77 frame, which got me interested on that particular exhaust. Thanks for your time.
Old September 6th, 2020, 05:00 AM

I'm fortunate to have a very good muffler shop in town where I live that can make anything. I was doing some resto work on a girlfriends '76 Salon back in '09. She had a half-*** dual exhaust system on it. It still had the factory cross-over pipe & a "test pipe" in place of the converter. Who ever did it then split it into duals with little 2" pipes that went under the drive shaft right behind the trans, Yuk!. It did already have magna-flow mufflers & what looked like factory style tail pipes. I wanted to put a pre-converter factory style system it. I bought a mint set of '71 350 manifolds & a '73-'74 dual-hump crossmember on epay for it.(you definitely want to get one of those crossmembers for your car) My local muffler shop had the spec cards for vehicles going back to the 40s!! He wouldn't let me bring her car to his shop 'cause it didn't have a converter on it but he bent the front pipes for me & I put them on at home. They fit perfectly I couldn't believe it. Pypes makes a "header back" system for the 73-77s but it's probably just some kind of universal kit like magna-flows builders kits. Unfortunately I can't tell you if the earlier pipes would fit.

Old September 6th, 2020, 05:12 AM

Well my old exhaust was a home-brewed dual system with driver side going UNDER stock transmission crossmember- talk about ugly and low.
Since then i have scrapped that, and have dual-hump crossmember now at place.

When i looked up Pypes, they show nothing to 73-77? At their side, only generic X-pipes.
Old September 6th, 2020, 08:34 AM

The pipes a body down pipes work On the 73-77 but not a great fit . I had mine modified at a garage to get them to sit where I wanted them to . Oddly the a body down pipes work with no modification on my g body car. if I had a compentent shop near me I would Have them do the whole thing .
Old September 6th, 2020, 08:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 73-77 A-body chassis actually served as the basis for the downsized 1977-1996 B-body chassis. Pypes and Dynomax both sell exhaust systems for the B-body cars. I do not know if they will fit without alteration, and keep in mind that all B-body cars of that vintage used a 116" wheelbase, whereas the 73-77 A-body 2drs still used the 112" wheelbase, so the B-body exhaust center pipes will need to be shortened.