Body lean after new shocks and springs

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2020, 11:49 AM

Body lean after new shocks and springs

I just put 2 inch lowering springs in the front of my 72 Cutlass and now it's leaning to the passenger side. I can fit about three fingers in-between the fender and tire on the driver's side and almost one on the passengers side. im not even sure if the driver's side lowered at all. There was no lean before.
Old June 27th, 2020, 12:18 PM

Wow, the car must have been really high to begin with. I have Moog 5536 springs on front of mine and it sits at the correct ride height per the CSM specs. You can see the fender to tire gap in this pic.

As for the lean, did you tighten the suspension bolts with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension?
And are you certain the springs are correctly aligned in the lower control arms? The bottom coil of the spring should be in the slot and the end of the spring should be just short of the hole at the end of the slot.

Last edited by Fun71; June 27th, 2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old June 27th, 2020, 12:20 PM
O'smobile

Assuming you confirmed all part numbers are correct, make sure the spring is in the right rotation. The coil end should be right up against, but not covering, the little drain hole in the cup of the bottom a-arm. Also, there are guides to position the top of the spring. If you are on one of those and not seated fully that would increase height.
Old June 27th, 2020, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Wow, the car must have been really high to begin with. I have Moog 5536 springs on front of mine and it sits at the correct ride height per the CSM specs. You can see the fender to tire gap in this pic.

As for the lean, did you tighten the suspension bolts with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension?
And are you certain the springs are correctly aligned in the lower control arms? The bottom coil of the spring should be in the slot and the end of the spring should be just short of the hole at the end of the slot.
Originally Posted by Orlando 1
Assuming you confirmed all part numbers are correct, make sure the spring is in the right rotation. The coil end should be right up against, but not covering, the little drain hole in the cup of the bottom a-arm. Also, there are guides to position the top of the spring. If you are on one of those and not seated fully that would increase height.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up taking the driver side apart and the spring was not seated correctly. What was throwing me off also is my sway bar was bent so I wasent sure if it was something more. It's all good now and sitting correctly.
Old June 27th, 2020, 06:54 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

And that’s why Classic Oldsmobile is such a freaking amazing place. Two excellent replies with one hour of the initial question. Wouldn’t it be nice if everything in this world functioned as well👏

Last edited by vCode442; June 27th, 2020 at 06:57 PM.