1969 non tilt cutlass AT steering column

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2015, 03:44 AM

1969 non tilt cutlass AT steering column

I have a question about the parts in the upper column. When I removed the steering Wheel it looks like i'm missing some parts, and i'm unsure of how the short spring should fit. Spring before the horn contakt ring or after?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (57.4 KB, 18 views)
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Oldwolf
I have a question about the parts in the upper column. When I removed the steering Wheel it looks like i'm missing some parts, and i'm unsure of how the short spring should fit. Spring before the horn contakt ring or after?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (57.2 KB, 18 views)
Old March 8th, 2015, 08:47 PM

The short stiff spring goes UNDER the grey (or greenish..can't tell exact color)plastic piece in your pic (which I assume you're referring to as the "contact ring"). That plastic piece is called the "cancelling cam" not the horn contact ring (which is something completely different).

So.....spring, cancelling cam, lock plate, small wire retainer ring (you may need a tool to depress the lock plate, etc to install it easier), etc

EDIT: the plastic piece I'm referring to (cancelling cam) is shown in your SECOND picture.

Last edited by 70Post; March 8th, 2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old March 11th, 2015, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
The short stiff spring goes UNDER the grey (or greenish..can't tell exact color)plastic piece in your pic (which I assume you're referring to as the "contact ring"). That plastic piece is called the "cancelling cam" not the horn contact ring (which is something completely different).

So.....spring, cancelling cam, lock plate, small wire retainer ring (you may need a tool to depress the lock plate, etc to install it easier), etc

EDIT: the plastic piece I'm referring to (cancelling cam) is shown in your SECOND picture.
Thank you, that clears it up a bit. I dont have the lock plate and the proper small wire retainer. Do you know how I can bye them? What does the lock plate lock? Is it nessesary to have that? can I take a washer instead of the lockplate?

Stanley
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:05 AM

Stanley,
I have all those parts, I'll get pix if you want. Shipping would probably be higher than the cost of the parts though.
Scott
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:40 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Stanley,
I have all those parts, I'll get pix if you want. Shipping would probably be higher than the cost of the parts though.
Scott
Probably, but maybe you have more parts I need. I send you a PM.
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:13 PM

The lock plate is needed for the steering wheel to lock when the car is put in park and the key removed. A pin comes out of the column + locks in the plate. It's a good thing to have on there.
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
The lock plate is needed for the steering wheel to lock when the car is put in park and the key removed. A pin comes out of the column + locks in the plate. It's a good thing to have on there.
OK, I get it. The steering column is shortened and it's going in a ****** Jeep so maybee its not that important but sure it is a safety device thats good. I have the pin that suppose to interlock with the lock plate. Thank you.

Stanley