Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1969 Oldsmobile W-31 4 speed

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:04 AM

1969 Oldsmobile W-31 4 speed

1969 Oldsmobile W31 Club Coupe 1 of 106

Less than 1,000 produced in 1969 of all body styles.
Recently purchased from the Original Owner.
Cutlass Club Coupe/Sports Coupe/Post Car.
4 speed M21 Close ratio
3.91 posi
Buckets
No console
Defrost
AM FM
Original Steel Wheel, Hub Cap car.
Power Steering
127,000 orig miles
Engine rebuilt less than 1,000 miles ago.
All original numbers matching drivetrain.
Line Sheet
Build Sheet
Dealer Bill of sale (Traded in 1969 L78 Chevelle)
Warranty booklet
Protect-o-Plate
Sable/Burnished Brown
Parchment
Very solid trunk and floor pans.
Runs and drives nice and straight.
Nice Driver type of car that can be enjoyed as it is.
Will need total restoration to be a perfect show car.

Original 7029255 UD Carburator
Original Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner
Original W31 only harmonic balancer
Original #5 big valve heads
Original Hurst shifter and body
Original 292 coil
Original GM sheetmetal
Original Black plastic fenderwells
Original under bumper scoops
Original air tubes holders
Original Carpet
Original Hub Caps
Original 14”x 6” Steel wheels
Original Keys
Original Dealer Documents
Original GM Documentation
Original Owner
Original Miles

$26,500.00

Located in Saint Charles, Illinois. Call Tom for more info and details 633.377.1222

Last edited by Stefano; February 20th, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:15 PM

Nice Car,
time capsule.

My buddie drools over that car as he used to own one a couple of years back

1969 W-31 post. light blue. I did loads of work on that car. loved it.

can't beleive nobody has scooped that car up yet.

STeve
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:56 PM

my 2 cents

Originally Posted by StickW31
Nice Car,
time capsule.

My buddie drools over that car as he used to own one a couple of years back

1969 W-31 post. light blue. I did loads of work on that car. loved it.

can't beleive nobody has scooped that car up yet.

STeve
The only thing keeping that car from selling is the price. This latest listing has a price dropped to $26,500 which is approaching the value of the car.

Look at the under hood pics...this car needs lots of work in that department. Restored this car will be awesome but the purchase price & the resto price add up to more than the current value of the car.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; February 20th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:04 PM

I kinda disagree with the above statement, but I DO have a biased opinion. If Stefano (Nickey Chicago) has it, you can bank on it being good and authentic. There is a TON of paperwork and the car certainly is usable as is. Yes, a full-blown frame-off MIGHT put the car out of range, but I personally I don't think it needs it. The specific W-31 items are present and with some engine and chassis detailing this would be a KILLER car! True #1 rated cars seldom change hands and when they do the prices usually aren't public knowledge. I can see that car after a thorough, intricate detailing and the docs proudly presented selling for well into the $30,000s and maybe hit $40 grand at a "premier" auction setting. Not long ago, Mecum sold a '69 f85 W-31 that had been voted Hemmings Muscle Machine of the Year in 2008. That car was an older resto., did not have all original sheet metal, had some non-stock items, and nowhere near the documentation---it sold for $40,500.00.
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
The only thing keeping that car from selling is the price. This latest listing has a price dropped to $26,500 which is approaching the value of the car.

Look at the under hood pics...this car needs lots of work in that department. Restored this car will be awesome but the purchase price & the resto price add up to more than the current value of the car.
At the muscle car Nationals car show in Rosemont IL last November he was asking $24k for this car.
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:15 PM

Steve (StickwW31), I hear you loud and clear. The car I'm referring to is the one WE both know--- and looking back maybe I SHOULD HAVE bought it. What ever happened to the '70 from Wayne---did you ever get it finished?
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:45 PM

more

Originally Posted by RALLYE KID
At the muscle car Nationals car show in Rosemont IL last November he was asking $24k for this car.
I am thinking right around $23K is the magic number on this car.

I remember that 2 tone black & tan 4 speed W-31 out of Oregon a couple of years ago that sold for not much more than this asking price & keep kicking myself for not jumping on that one.
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Senior Moment Member

I remember it at the show. It was rough, but desirable nonetheless.
Old February 21st, 2013, 04:06 AM

I also remember that two-tone black and gold one. I never knew of a true selling price, but I do recall a couple of guys chatting about the car saying it sold for way LESS before it was advertised the last time. I kinda remember something about that car not having the "born-with" sheet metal and maybe some other stuff, too. I haven't seen Stefano's car in person, but it has been talked about on other sites, and everybody says the car is pretty decent?????????????????
Old February 21st, 2013, 05:28 AM

Fyi

This is the OR car of which we speak. It was @ a Dealer in Salem OR.

http://www.blueovalranch.com/content...w31_w-machine/

If I recall correctly is sold for around $28.5K.

The documentations shows the car to be a W-31 car.
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:42 AM

this has been on yenko.net for a while.

I know when it appeard at mcacn, a lot of discussion of how "rough" it is ensued. I'm not sure where that came from since I've seen the car in person. but to each his own.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:53 PM

Please explain "rough". The pics show an original engine compartment that does need attention. However, with the miles that are on the car, I find that totally normal. The paint and interior both look good in the photos, and I know photos can be deceiving, but given the age of the car, the accumulated miles, and the fact that ALL of the items specific (and very expensive) to a W-31 are intact, I still think the price is fair. The paperwork is bullet-proof, too. I have no gun in this fight, but few ORIGINAL REAL MUSCLCARS are still available with what this car has to offer.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Please explain "rough". The pics show an original engine compartment that does need attention. However, with the miles that are on the car, I find that totally normal. The paint and interior both look good in the photos, and I know photos can be deceiving, but given the age of the car, the accumulated miles, and the fact that ALL of the items specific (and very expensive) to a W-31 are intact, I still think the price is fair. The paperwork is bullet-proof, too. I have no gun in this fight, but few ORIGINAL REAL MUSCLCARS are still available with what this car has to offer.
If I remember correctly the paint had some checking and faded in spots.But still a nice survivor.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:08 PM
L69

nice car
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:35 PM
Senior Moment Member

IMO it needed a complete resto but was VERY solid. Engine compartment was all there, just old. Or I guess you could show it and drive it as a survivor car. I would be happy with it either way if it were mine.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:07 PM

Thanks to those of you with positive comments.

We are here after all in one way or another to celebrate and discuss our passion inspired Oldsmobiles, are we not?

Yes we could have already sold the car for less, but we are one of those "evil enterprises" called a business and do strive to earn a fair profit.

There is no question that in order to be a perfect show winner/ trailer Queen that this car would need a complete restoration. It is however a true one owner, documented, all original drivetrain, W31, which we purchased direct from the original owner.

The one owner history of this particular W31 adds some value to the equation, IMHO.

It runs, drives and operates better than many "frame off" cars, that we have experienced. You can get caught in the rain, drive down a gravel road and not devalue the car one bit.

I have cars which range the spectrum from Show winners to projects and have no issues having this car stand on its own at any show or event.

We might have the car over at the BOP meet at Kane County Fair grounds this weekend if anyone wants to see it. Our shop is in St. Charles not far from the fair grounds.

Best Regards,

Stefano Bimbi
NicKey Chicago, Inc.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:37 PM
Senior Moment Member

A very cool car to say the least.
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:57 AM

Curious

Since the car is no longer owned by the original owner how can it be described as a 1 owner car?.....Since you now own it doesn't that make it a TWO owner car?.....
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Registered Luser

I gotta say, from what I see, the price isn't all that outta whack! I understand the whole "once you restore it, the money invested wouldn't justify the value" concept. If I had the $, I would just pull the drivetrain, detail the motor and engine bay, detail the trunk and spruce up the interior and then.......drive it!
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:09 AM

BEAUTIFUL original car!!!
Old February 24th, 2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Since the car is no longer owned by the original owner how can it be described as a 1 owner car?.....Since you now own it doesn't that make it a TWO owner car?.....
A true licensed dealer generally is not considered in the collector car chain of ownership, as an owner/end user, but for the sake of discussion, lets call it a two owner car that the original owner sold to us in 2012 : )
Old February 24th, 2013, 01:51 PM

Like Stefano is saying here, licensed dealers are not "registered owners". As for the paper trail, dealers may reassign ownership and are not always required to obtain new titles.
Old February 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM

two owner

did you not notice the big chit eating grin?

I was trying to bring a little levity to the thread. Ofcourse it is a 1 owner car.

Again great car. Price is rapidly closing in on a price where it will sell....who knows it might even be to me.
Old February 24th, 2013, 03:53 PM

You broached a valid point, which is often discussed. Just stating my opinion on the subject.
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I saw the car today. is it rare and cool., hell yes ! things that drew me away was the paint. it has been re painted or appeared to be. it had what looked like fish eye's solvent pop and the stripes had some pretty bad over spray from poor taping even by gm plant standards it looked rough for being 40 plus year old paint it does not appear to be fadded and agd as 40 year old paint should look also it has many paint imperfections that these cars would not have from the factory as that is how it appears to me it was painted at some point in it's life . I saw the paint i saw the price and walked away. Now im not saying this car is of a bad pedigree to the right buyer it might be worth 26k . This is just my opinion.

Last edited by coppercutlass; February 24th, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:33 AM

paint

Question for the seller.

Is the paint on this car orginal or has it been repainted?

thank you.
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:42 AM

The W31 has been completely repainted approx 2 years ago.
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:05 AM

I saw it at the show. Looked good from 10 feet. But as copper stated. It had imperfections in the paint. I even saw what looked like some rust bubbles. I didnt look under the car to see it. But im somewhat local to this car if anyone is really serious about buying it i can go look it over really good and take pics.
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:18 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I think this was the car that was pulled out of a garage as part of an estate auction last year in Ohio...no? I almost trailered up! Its a special order paint car...no? Either way nice survivor very solid foundation if someone wanted to do a rotisserie or enjoy as is. At 24-26 your not making much if I remember the winning bid correctly and its the same car. Thanks for giving the people in the "know" a chance to own and view it.
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
I think this was the car that was pulled out of a garage as part of an estate auction last year in Ohio...no? I almost trailered up! Its a special order paint car...no? Either way nice survivor very solid foundation if someone wanted to do a rotisserie or enjoy as is. At 24-26 your not making much if I remember the winning bid correctly and its the same car. Thanks for giving the people in the "know" a chance to own and view it.
I believe the one you are thinking of was a '68 W-30. It was a special order brown car.
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by chadman
I believe the one you are thinking of was a '68 W-30. It was a special order brown car.
Trick went and looked at it. That car was a 68 but it had no documentation
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I live right next door to st. charles where i think nickey is located. Like f-85 I can also take a look at it for someone if someone is intrested im a body man by trade so i can take a good look at it and spot shotty repairs and know where to look. If the car was repainted 2 years ago im affraid of whats underneath based on what i saw. I did a quicky resto on my gf's k5 in her drive way and it looked better than the paint this car had. That is my only area of concern on this car .
Old February 25th, 2013, 05:36 PM

This is not a special paint code car. Sable was a standard color for 1969.

The original owner is alive and well.

It is also not a "Survivor". It has lots of originality and has never been completely restored, but not a Survivor by the trade mark definition.

My opinion is that this car will go to a collector who will restore it or an enthusiast, who has an appreciation for these cars and wants to have a no issues documented car with history.

Let's start a list of perfect condition 1969 W31s, with 4 speeds, full docs and all original drivetrain for under $50,000.00.

Take out the clones, frauds and undocumented 1969 W31s and there are not a whole bunch to choose from.

We have been, building, restoring, buying, showing and selling special cars for over three decades. We sell everything from not running projects to best of show trailered Cars.

If someone needs more of a description, just ask, you'll get an accurate description from us.

Every time I drive that car it puts a big smile on my face

Last edited by Stefano; February 25th, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
Let's start a list of perfect condition 1969 W31s, with 4 speeds, full docs and all original drivetrain for under $50,000.00.

Take out the clones, frauds and undocumented 1969 W31s and there are not a whole bunch to choose from.
It's hard to put a price on a documented 68 or 69 W car. Stefano is absolutely correct, I've only seen a handful of documented 68-69 W cars in the last ten years. Most are GM of Canada cars. In 68-69 the W designation wasn't on the Fisher Broadcast Card so the chances of finding documentation for these cars is slim.

Last edited by allyolds68; February 26th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:31 PM

I think for the money, this W-31 is well within the price range. Bottom line it's a REAL 69 W-31 post coupe 4-speed, low production pretty much unmolested and untouched except paint and an engine rebuild. A month in my garage and about 5k later, that car will be an outstanding example of a true 69 W-31. Even In the condition it is in now you can enjoy it and bring to a local cruise nite and have lots of people drool over this car.
JUst my 2 cents.

Good luck with the sale.
GREAT CAR and true example of a 1969 W-31. I'm sure Mr Dave Siltman would agree!!

STeve
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:16 PM

Repainted and rebuilt engine doesnt qualify as untouched in my book.
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Registered Luser

So far as I can see, the guy has represented it honestly....admitted from the get go that it needs to be restored to be a show car. Never once mentioned that it was untouched and never called it a "survivor".....
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:10 PM

great one

Wow, dont care what anyone says and TOTALLY agree with Steve and Dave this is a great car. If I had 25000 plus it would be in my driveway. Best of luck to you and your car. Dean
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:46 PM

I agree too, this is one great car! If I had some extra $, I'd buy this car in a heartbeat.

All the best,

Sam
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
So far as I can see, the guy has represented it honestly....admitted from the get go that it needs to be restored to be a show car. Never once mentioned that it was untouched and never called it a "survivor".....
Stickw31 said it was untouched and unmolested.

Quick Reply: 1969 Oldsmobile W-31 4 speed