Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1972 Hurst olds pace car with w30 option

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:35 PM

1972 Hurst olds pace car with w30 option

I have a 1972 hurst olds that runs and drives great! #'s matching 455 with w30 heads, intake, carb, radiator, brake booster, etc. this car needs restoration but is a solid, complete, running driving car that needs floors and 1/4's. all hurst options with protecto plate, hurst warranty card, original dealer invoice, but no build sheet. very interesting car that will b worth tons restored. $14,000 obo. Also available, 69 cutlass convert., very solid driver quality, all original sheet metal, awesome floors, runs and drives great and a 72 cutlass, all orig. air condition car with 1 repaint. Call J.R. at 847-847-8322 or check us out at performance motors prarie grove, il. on facebook or performancemotors.net to view our full inventory!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo (40).jpg (48.4 KB, 127 views)
photo (42).jpg (66.6 KB, 115 views)
photo (44).jpg (58.4 KB, 129 views)
photo (45).jpg (34.5 KB, 120 views)
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:17 PM

U or X

Originally Posted by performance motors
I have a 1972 hurst olds that runs and drives great! #'s matching 455 with w30 heads, intake, carb, radiator, brake booster, etc. this car needs restoration but is a solid, complete, running driving car that needs floors and 1/4's. all hurst options with protecto plate, hurst warranty card, original dealer invoice, but no build sheet. very interesting car that will b worth tons restored. $14,000 obo. Also available, 69 cutlass convert., very solid driver quality, all original sheet metal, awesome floors, runs and drives great and a 72 cutlass, all orig. air condition car with 1 repaint. Call J.R. at 847-847-8322 or check us out at performance motors prarie grove, il. on facebook or performancemotors.net to view our full inventory!
Your pics show that the car is equiped with factory a/c.

Are you aware that a/c was NOT available with the W-30 option in 1972?

Kindly post the VIN for the car you are selling. The presence of the U or the X in the 5th digit of the VIN is all anyone needs to know to settle this matter.
Old October 10th, 2012, 08:33 AM

I'd post or provide a pic of the cowl tag too.
Old October 10th, 2012, 06:55 PM

Hmmm???
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dave/Mike
J.R. had this car on the site a while back https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post422794

A direct answer to Dave's question (excerpt from J.R.s thread)
There is a u in the V.I.N. and no w45 on the data tag where the paint code should be.
So you know it's not a real W30. Also the 72 W30 had manual front discs, not power so the brake booster is a giveaway on that too. As he says in his first thread, it may have been a dealer clone to keep up with sales demand
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM

FYI brakes

Originally Posted by Allan R
Dave/Mike
J.R. had this car on the site a while back https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post422794

A direct answer to Dave's question (excerpt from J.R.s thread)
So you know it's not a real W30. Also the 72 W30 had manual front discs, not power so the brake booster is a giveaway on that too. As he says in his first thread, it may have been a dealer clone to keep up with sales demand
Alan once again you are partly right.

Manual front disc brakes were mandatory standard equipment with the 4 speed...like in my car. However power front disc brakes were an option with the automatic.
Old October 11th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave

Manual front disc brakes were mandatory standard equipment with the 4 speed...like in my car. However power front disc brakes were an option with the automatic.
Yes, after revisiting that doc, I see the M40 and JL2 spec further down in the SPECS listing. My bad. However, I see once again you are partly right about how I spell my name too even when it's right in front of you. I guess anyone can miss something can't they?
Old October 11th, 2012, 03:24 PM

more

Yes, after revisiting that doc, I see the M40 and JL2 spec further down in the SPECS listing. My bad. However, I see once again you are partly right about how I spell my name too even when it's right in front of you. I guess anyone can miss something can't they?
I was not aware that I had mistyped your name in the above post nor was I aware that this is habitual as you imply ("once again" as you state). I will be sure to use two Ls in the future to ensure maximum sunshine in your day.

I know you meant well with your post about the brake booster even though what you posted was not completely correct. We are all trying to help each other out by sharing knowledge & none of us can remeber everything. But don't worry...when any one of us makes a mistake someone else will point it out.
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:41 PM

Hurst olds

A customer of mine bought the car with the intention of havig me restore it but, stuff happens and now he has to sell it so I'm trying to help him. I believe it is a dealer H.O. and I have the original dealer invoice that states a $1329.20 hurst package from the factory and a $695 hurst package from the dealer. All I know for sure is this is a number match car with everything w30 under the hood that you can put there and everything else is hurst olds. Other than floor, 1/4's and interior kit, this car is all there and runs like a scalded dog!
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Dave? Wake up. Simply a reaction to the wording describing me with the noted ^^ statement. I also was not aware that 'once again' it was 'habitual - as you imply' for me to be partly right. Your message and tone definitely implied exactly the same reaction that you responded with, so why wouldn't I take that personally? Oh yes, your sarcasm was noticed. I'll likewise try to ensure maximum sunshine in your day too. Are we done on this? Personally at this stage I could care less whether it's a dealer clone or not. I was trying to be helpful, not get dumped on.
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM

last thoughts

Dave? Wake up. Simply a reaction to the wording describing me with the noted ^^ statement. I also was not aware that 'once again' it was 'habitual - as you imply' for me to be partly right. Your message and tone definitely implied exactly the same reaction that you responded with, so why wouldn't I take that personally? Oh yes, your sarcasm was noticed. I'll likewise try to ensure maximum sunshine in your day too. Are we done on this? Personally at this stage I could care less whether it's a dealer clone or not. I was trying to be helpful, not get dumped on.
The car is clearly not a W-30 car...on this we all can agree.

I stated that you were trying to be helpful as you always are but this was not the first post of yours' that had incomplete information. I gave you credit for being partly right as you were just not entirely right. I made the correction in your statement so that others reading would have the correct information as I too am trying to help. I did not mean that as a character attack on you & sorry you took it that way. Appology extended & that is the end of this for me.

Often people are very quick to post on this and other forums & their enthusiasm to post sometimes overshadows the accuracy of their postings....I think that is all that happened here.

ps....my message had no "tone"...a forum is just words & often the reader puts their own spin on what they read & that is where conflicts occur when none was pursued.
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:58 PM

Hurst olds.

I wasn't offended. I do alot of restorations on all types of cars and it's impossible to know everything about all of them so, any help with info on this car is GREATLY appreciated! If i could, I would finish it and keep it for myself. It's not a true w30 car, but it's the closest you can get for the price! With air! lol!