Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

'72 Cutlass Vert For Sale - What's It Worth?

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2011, 09:23 AM

'72 Cutlass Vert For Sale - What's It Worth?

Hello fellow Olds lovers. I spotted this '72 Cutlass convertible on my way to work a week or so ago. I spoke with the owner and got the following details:

Car is being sold by a family friend who knows the basics only about the car.
Current owner is the grandson of the original owner - One family car.
Approx 89K miles.
Car is said to be original and unrestored.
Runs and drives but has been sitting for approximately 8-9 years.
Car was claimed to be stored indoors.
Brakes are not working.

Here is what I saw in the few minutes I had to look it over.
Car's interior stinks...most likely it did or does leak.
Front seat is badly worn.
Back seat and rest of the interior are in fair condition.
Top is fair but has a tear or two.
Body is mostly straight but needs rust repair and paint.
Chrome is fair.

I have not heard or seen the car run or drive. I only snapped these pics on my way to work (the doors were unlocked . I spoke with the seller and he was ok with my suggestion to post the car on here for him. I'm hoping to see it go to a good home. It definitely needs a fair amount of work but it looks like it could be a really nice car, whether it's a driver or more is uncertain. I do not know anything else about the car. Since I'm a Ninety Eight guy, I don't know all that much about these "compacts" LOL. I love this year Cutlass but really can't manage another car/project. Hopefully you guys can tell me more about it and what it might be worth.

They are asking $5500 but seem to be pretty negotiable. I think the car has been for sale for about 3 weeks or so now.

Here are the pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...03%3A938380808

Oh, by the way. The car is located in Westchester County, NY and the full phone number is 914-234-6913.

Hoping it finds a good home.
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:38 AM
delete

From your desription I expected worse. Did you notice if it has AC or anuy idea if its a 2BBL or a 4BBL? I assume its not a 455 or you'd mention it.
I'd say if someone got it for $4K they'd be doing OK assuming its not severly rusted underneath.
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I would tell you if this was closer I would offer $4000 $4500 and get to restoring a vert.............
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Cutlass Lover

Awwww.... the poor thing! I sure hope it finds a good home!!
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Those photos make it look pretty good, but when you get up close, there is a lot of rust, much of which appears to be cancerous.

In #5 condition, which means non-running but restorable and in too good a shape to part out, the Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a 1972 Cutlass Supreme convertible at about $2900. Based on this, their asking price is about twice what it should be. In good running and driving condition but needing full restoration, the value listed is right about $5,000.

It might very well be worth what they're asking, but I would insist that it be in running, driving condition. Otherwise, I would offer less, based on the particulars of this car, and walk away if they insist on top dollar. If six months from now they still haven't sold it, they might be more amenable to a lower price.
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by droptopron
From your desription I expected worse. Did you notice if it has AC or anuy idea if its a 2BBL or a 4BBL? I assume its not a 455 or you'd mention it.
I'd say if someone got it for $4K they'd be doing OK assuming its not severly rusted underneath.
droptop, the interior pics show AC vents.
That rear bumper has hideous bumperettes of something that is not Olds.
Lots of work for whoever wants to buy it.
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Wish it was closer......Rusty body does not scare me........Rusty frame and under scares me.......The black interoir is a huge draw for me,No offense but saddle brown or green just isnt my cup of tea,I can see her all done up in triple black.......Wait I just woke up........:-(
Old December 30th, 2011, 09:23 AM

I bought the same car with crappy interior for $6K but it runs, I have gone on 2 hr + drives , so from that aspect I was lucky... I dont have much rust either,very minor...

but what stinks for me is the interior, you think that is bad? I would give anything to have that interior.. for the price, I say go for it.. offer $3500, and see if they agree... also its a center console!
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
delete

Originally Posted by nj_cutlass72
also its a center console!
Black gut, SS1's, AC, reasonably straight. There is a lot to like there.
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:17 PM

Very nice looking car in my opinion...any reason that couldn't be improved to be a really nice driver?
Old December 31st, 2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
Wish it was closer......Rusty body does not scare me........Rusty frame and under scares me.......The black interoir is a huge draw for me,No offense but saddle brown or green just isnt my cup of tea,I can see her all done up in triple black.......Wait I just woke up........:-(

I agree. If this car was for sale near me (Bay Area) The seller would definitely get his asking price and it would have been sold within a couple of days. There are alot of Olds fans that love the 70-72 cutlass convertibles out this way and I have seen some rust buckets go for a pretty high amount.
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think you non-northeastern guys are seeing this car through rose-colored glasses.

A car in this area with this amount of visible rust is probably a bad rustbucket.
"Stored indoors" means nothing in this area over that many years - if it had been only driven in the summers, that would be a different thing, but that is obviously not the case.

The Old Cars value is $2900, and though it may in fact be a "non-running, restorable" car, it may also be so bad underneath that there's nothing left to restore.

Think about it: The body's not straight (check the gaps - it's been hit more than once), it's almost definitely got hidden rust, it needs a top, the interior's shot ("stinks" - so much for "stored indoors"), it can't be driven, and you don't even know if it runs.

Unless the "hidden" part is that it's in really great shape after all, I'd say he's looking at about $2000, unless the "right" buyer comes along.

So where, exactly, is it, as I'll be passing through the area in a couple of weeks?
If I go by when it's light out, I'd be happy to take a few pics of the underside.

- Eric
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:56 AM

It is a "rust belt" car and is showing signs! Frame needs good looking at before ANY consideration. Rear bumper has been hit pretty good trunklid is ugly as far as alignment. looks like a repaint too as drivers door catch shows yellow spray on it. Any rot seen will be way worse once you start picking at it. If frame is good I would say a 3500 dollar car... If running fine price will go up.
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Hey guys, there is a phone number listed above. Please feel free to call the seller and get whatever info you can. This is not my car, I just saw it for sale and wanted to spread the word so it might have a chance at a new life with the right owner. Hope the right person gets their hands on it.
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

76 Regency
You're a good guy! I would rather buy your black 2dr than the vert for sale even though I hate trying to keep black clean..
BTW how are those bumper fillers going?
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
76 Regency
You're a good guy! I would rather buy your black 2dr than the vert for sale even though I hate trying to keep black clean..
BTW how are those bumper fillers going?
HAHA, hey Allan,

Sorry but my 98 will not be for sale as long as I'm breathing

The fillers are a work in progress. I have the prototype set here and I'm working on test fitting them still. They're very good but not perfect yet. Hopefully I'll have a full report to give the manufacturer soon and he can make the necessary changes to make them perfect!

John
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
HAHA, hey Allan,
Sorry but my 98 will not be for sale as long as I'm breathing
John
I totally get that! sooo, Hold your breath and make me an offer! No worries, I wouldn't be that silly as to think you'd part with it, even for $683,450.74. Actually there's a guy who had his uncles 75 Regency 2 door up for sale on the site. My wife is not keen on it though. It's a lower mileage car 66K IIRC with red interior and burgandy ext. Lovely car for around the 3500.00 mark. Would need some work. You want the location in case you have room in the stable?
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:55 PM

Hey Allan,

I think I know the car. Is it a burgundy '75 LS in Omaha or so? If it's the car I'm thinking of, it is a pretty nice car and I hope it gets a good home. There were a few funny things about it from what I remember but still very nice to find a lower mileage 98! There is no room in my stable right now. I would love to buy them all but it's just not in the cards. Two cars the size that mine are is already quite a bit to handle!
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Allan,

I think I know the car. Is it a burgundy '75 LS in Omaha or so? If it's the car I'm thinking of, it is a pretty nice car and I hope it gets a good home. There were a few funny things about it from what I remember but still very nice to find a lower mileage 98! There is no room in my stable right now. I would love to buy them all but it's just not in the cards. Two cars the size that mine are is already quite a bit to handle!
Yes, it is burgandy. Not Omaha though - in Brady. Around 225 miles east?

One of the quirky things was the r.s. mirror mounted on the fender instead of the proper mirror on the door.

Has a nice interior - says his grandpa had it since new - not smoked in either. There's damage to the armrest on the drivers side. But it also has that nice big 3 spoke steering wheel.

I seriously thought about buying it. My wife is not cooperating on this one though. Too bad. I would probably change the vinyl color and start the 'might as well' fixups that are inevitable when you find these cars.
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:03 PM

Thanks for all the input guys and special thanks to 76 Regency for posting this convertible. I was able to reach a deal with the seller and believe me I did take in to account all the comments you guys posted both good and bad. If any of you guys come across a 1972 Ram Air hood please keep me in mind and pass the information along. Thornton’s is a too pricey for me and if I have to I will settle for a fiberglass hood..BTW keep up the good work “Project Heaven”…I’ve been keeping up with you on youtube. Thanks guys for all your input and once I receive the car I’ll start posting pictures of the progress.
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Grant1424
If any of you guys come across a 1972 Ram Air hood please keep me in mind and pass the information along. Thornton’s is a too pricey for me and if I have to I will settle for a fiberglass hood.
Congrats on your purchase.
Funny you should be asking about the OAI hood. Just finished talking to a couple of guys about that. Take a look at the FibreConcepts 71/72 hood. From what I've heard from people who bought them they're very much affordable, have reinforcement for your original hood springs and hood latch. You're in GA and FC is in PA so shipping shouldn't be a big deal. You could even probably pick it up yourself. Here's the thread where this was being discussed. There are some pics of the FC hood on the car too.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post358472

the website is http://www.fiberpartsconcepts.com/1285404.html Look at item CHA-442 71/72 with the metal inserts.

BTW, i think a REAL OAI W25 hood would cost you a lot more than Thorntons, even if it was used.
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Yes, it is burgandy. Not Omaha though - in Brady. Around 225 miles east?

One of the quirky things was the r.s. mirror mounted on the fender instead of the proper mirror on the door.

Has a nice interior - says his grandpa had it since new - not smoked in either. There's damage to the armrest on the drivers side. But it also has that nice big 3 spoke steering wheel.

I seriously thought about buying it. My wife is not cooperating on this one though. Too bad. I would probably change the vinyl color and start the 'might as well' fixups that are inevitable when you find these cars.
Hey Allan,

yep, that's the car. I had the town wrong but I knew of this car for a little while. I caught that mirror right away and that would probably be the first thing to go if I got my hands on it. Funny thing is, this car is an LS and has very few options but yet it has tilt/telescope steering which is a fairly rare option. It always interests me to see how people ordered these cars. The first pics I saw of this car, it was covered in about 2 inches of dust. It looks like it still needs a really good detailing but it could definitely be a nice, original car. I thought about trading my burgundy '76 for it but I'm not a big fan of '75's or LS's for that matter so my car still won out.

John
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Grant1424
Thanks for all the input guys and special thanks to 76 Regency for posting this convertible. I was able to reach a deal with the seller and believe me I did take in to account all the comments you guys posted both good and bad. If any of you guys come across a 1972 Ram Air hood please keep me in mind and pass the information along. Thornton’s is a too pricey for me and if I have to I will settle for a fiberglass hood..BTW keep up the good work “Project Heaven”…I’ve been keeping up with you on youtube. Thanks guys for all your input and once I receive the car I’ll start posting pictures of the progress.
Hey man,

once again glad I could help. Always nice to see another classic Olds saved!! Keep us posted on the progress and if you come across any '75 - '76 Ninety Eight's down south, keep me in mind

Enjoy your new ride!!

John
Old January 12th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

if you come across any '75 - '76 Ninety Eight's down south, keep me in mind Enjoy your new ride!! John
Are you actually looking for another one? There were several up here in the fall including a 76 4door in burgundy. Gone now. Looked awsome.
Old January 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Thanks Allan, that information was very helpful!
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:22 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick it up for and what are your plans for it? Would like to hear how you plan to attack it!

Thanks,
Bill
Old January 14th, 2012, 05:40 AM

Are you actually looking for another one? There were several up here in the fall including a 76 4door in burgundy. Gone now. Looked awsome.
I'm more so looking for parts all the time. I can't handle any more cars right now.
Old January 14th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm more so looking for parts all the time. I can't handle any more cars right now.
What parts? I can certainly keep an eye peeled for stuff. There was one up here in SK not long ago that was fairly complete and was being parted. Seems the big cars always seem to show up in 'farm' country. Those farmers sure knew how to live right.
Old January 14th, 2012, 05:10 PM

Having 2 cars, there's always something I'd like to have an extra of. If any others turn up, let me know and maybe there will be something worth picking from it. Thanks!