Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Olds powered 71 Skylark

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2012, 09:13 AM

Olds powered 71 Skylark

Just doesn't get driven enough and we are trying to downsize. Runs great, very reliable. In Sarasota, FL. Asking $6500 OBO, Jim

71 Buick Skylark,
Engine; 355 Olds engine, rebuilt with Speed-Pro flat top pistons, coated race bearings, # 6 heads with larger valves and porting, Lunati Voodoo cam ( .51/.522, 227/233 on a 110 ) Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Holley 770 Street Avenger carb, HEI ignition, Sanderson shorty headers.
Transmission; TH-350 rebuilt with shift kit and Coan nitrous racing converter ( 2600 stall ). Trans cooler.
Rear end; 10 bolt posi with 3.73 gears.
Dual exhaust with Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.
Interior re-done, new carpets, bucket seats, rear seat covered. Stereo system, mahogany steering wheel and custom shifter.
Power disc brake conversion, disc on front/drum on rear.
Aftermarket A/C system with Sanden compressor
Car starts right up and runs great, very reliable. Body decent but needs some attention.
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s46/captklopfer/1970%20Buick%20Skylark/
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Would you call it a 'O-ick' or 'Boldsmobile'???
Old April 28th, 2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Would you call it a 'O-ick' or 'Boldsmobile'???
"Sky-Rocket"
Old April 28th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

If I had the $ I would buy it. I love those buicks and its olds powered what's not to like. I'm on the other end of the spectrum I just bought my first house and the toys will have to stay together until new ones come along.
Old April 28th, 2012, 04:10 PM

captjim - good one!!
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:22 PM

What happened to the oil-fill snorkle on the motor?
Nice lookin Skylark, hope someone buys it and gets a Buick motor in it. I love both Olds and Buick but still believe an Olds is best in an Olds and a Buick is best in a Buick. Those Buick 455s are a serious PIA to build but they are rediculous when finished, no wonder they called them the Hemi-killers
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:29 PM

I like it, the shipping to Cali would kill the deal though. Damn shame
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM

Bumping back up. Fun car, just doesn't get enough love.
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:51 PM
GM Enthusiast

Looks like a pretty clean car. I'm sure someone will want it.
Old May 31st, 2013, 03:44 PM

Bump, $5500, I just don't have time to enjoy it.
Old August 28th, 2013, 05:00 PM

Sold, for $2500
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The feeling is mutual, then, I suppose.

- Eric
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:45 PM

I would have given you 3k boss and a beer
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I feel that we should remember this thread the next time someone asks a "What's it worth?" question about something that isn't a 442.

$6,500 down to $2,500 over a year and a half of not selling.

The asking price is not important - it's the selling price that tells the tale.

No offense meant to captjim, it makes sense that this car should have been worth near his asking price, but the market had different ideas, as it often does, and, despite the fact that Hagerty says it's worth about $8,000 in #3 condition, and Collector Car Market Review says about $5,000, that wasn't the case.
Folks will say that I suggest that the values of people's cars are too low, but this is the sort of thing that I tend to see.

On the other hand, as Copper said, I'd have bought it for that, in spite of the certainty of spousal wrath, just to have a cool winter car.

- Eric
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:13 PM

I would have never offer 3k it's a solid 4500 to 5 k car all day I don't like low balling people if it's a fair deal. Now if I would have known he would have take 2500 i would have driven down there last week before I bought my fiancés engagement ring. I spent on the ring what he sold the lark for. FML day late and buck short.
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
FML day late and Buick short.
Fixed it for ya.

- Eric
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM

Lol
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by captjim
Sold, for $2500 UFB. I am soooo fvcking glad to be done with the Oldsmobile world.
Was the Olds part the problem? I guess a Buick guy didn't want it either....
Old August 29th, 2013, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Was the Olds part the problem? I guess a Buick guy didn't want it either....
That might have been part of it,
http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...55-Olds-engine

I think one major issue is the cost of body work and paint thse days. You can't justify sinking a bunch of $ into a car with no real value, like an SS, GS, 442, R/t, etc. 350 powered A-bodies with automatics are on the bottom of the ladder. And the days of getting a little rust repaired and paint for $2500 are long gone.

That said, EVERYBODY low-***** and beats you to death these days, it is disgusting. I had a Matco tool box on CL, 5' tall, 3' wide for $150, 25 years old and a little rough but useable. Got tired of lowballers, I don't need the money but it was the principle, the box is worth more than that as a trade in. I ended up giving it to a kid starting out as a mechanic at a buddy's shop. I had a TON of Olds stuff I gave away that I could not sell, virgin blocks, cranks, intakes, all kinds of stuff. I'm done, it just isn't fun anymore.
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by captjim
I ended up giving it to a kid starting out as a mechanic at a buddy's shop. I had a TON of Olds stuff I gave away that I could not sell, virgin blocks, cranks, intakes, all kinds of stuff. I'm done, it just isn't fun anymore.
It was worth $150, even though nobody would give you $150 for it, so, instead of taking the price that the market could offer, you took it off the market, and then you gave it away, thus proving that you had no interest in selling it in the first place.

I mean, I think it's great that you gave it to a kid just starting out - that's the right thing to do - but the rest of it? Just leaves me baffled.

I've got a bunch of heavy iron engine parts lying around.
I know that I can't get anything for them. That's the way it is - they're not worth much and you can't ship them.
I'm hanging on to them in case they come in handy one day for a trade, but if I get tired of them, I'll scrap them. That's life.

What happened in the past when it was "fun?" Was all this stuff worth its weight in gold?

- Eric
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It was worth $150, even though nobody would give you $150 for it, so, instead of taking the price that the market could offer, you took it off the market, and then you gave it away, thus proving that you had no interest in selling it in the first place.

I mean, I think it's great that you gave it to a kid just starting out - that's the right thing to do - but the rest of it? Just leaves me baffled.

I've got a bunch of heavy iron engine parts lying around.
I know that I can't get anything for them. That's the way it is - they're not worth much and you can't ship them.
I'm hanging on to them in case they come in handy one day for a trade, but if I get tired of them, I'll scrap them. That's life.

What happened in the past when it was "fun?" Was all this stuff worth its weight in gold?

- Eric
I decided that the "market price" for stuff is ridiculous. There is a 79 Cutlass race car on here the guy can't sell for 5 grand, you could not come close to building it for that. I would rather give the box to a young guy who appreciates it rather than take $100 which is too low, I don't need the money. Same for the parts, I gave them to a guy who owns a performance parts store, better than the scrap yard.

As for the "not fun", like some hobbies, it just kinda got old. And I got old! LOL Plus, here in FL it is just too hot to race in the summer and I am way too busy in the winter, that is a lot of why the car rarely got driven.
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Administrator

It's a shame your car didn't bring more than that. I probably would have parked it and continued to drive it when I got the hankerin rather than give it away.
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Fair enough.

I hope you kept at least one old car to cruise around in when the weather's right, though.

- Eric
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Fair enough.

I hope you kept at least one old car to cruise around in when the weather's right, though.

- Eric
Nope, bgot the F-150 to tow the boat and a 99 Cherokee to run errands and back up the truck in a pinch.
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

'99? That's not old.

My "new" cars are a '90, a '98, and three '2000s.

- Eric
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:08 AM

Well, I hope you enjoyed your years of playing with cars. Its a great hobby, but I agree when the knees start complaining crawling around an old car isn't as much fun. Nice car, I'm sorry you weren't able to get a higher price for it.

Anecdotal information, just what I've observed. If you put a different brand engine in a 1930's vintage car its a street rod and doesn't affect the value of the car. If you put a different brand, even another GM motor in the newer cars, it makes it harder to sell. One personal example, several years ago I watched a 1966 Buick Special on Craigslist. He had rebuilt a 1970 Olds 455 and installed in the car. The price started at $3900 and after a year of not selling was down to $2500. That's the price I bought it for and it was his asking price at the time. It was a really clean car but after keeping it a couple years I pulled the drivetrain and sold the rolling shell to a Buick guy. The Olds rather than Buick engine may have been a factor in your difficulty getting a good price for your car too.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Well, I hope you enjoyed your years of playing with cars. Its a great hobby, but I agree when the knees start complaining crawling around an old car isn't as much fun. Nice car, I'm sorry you weren't able to get a higher price for it.

Anecdotal information, just what I've observed. If you put a different brand engine in a 1930's vintage car its a street rod and doesn't affect the value of the car. If you put a different brand, even another GM motor in the newer cars, it makes it harder to sell. One personal example, several years ago I watched a 1966 Buick Special on Craigslist. He had rebuilt a 1970 Olds 455 and installed in the car. The price started at $3900 and after a year of not selling was down to $2500. That's the price I bought it for and it was his asking price at the time. It was a really clean car but after keeping it a couple years I pulled the drivetrain and sold the rolling shell to a Buick guy. The Olds rather than Buick engine may have been a factor in your difficulty getting a good price for your car too.
I agree, the engine sway was part of it, but the Skylarks and Lemans with 350s and automatics are at the bottom and don't fetch much anyway. The 350 Cutlass and Chevelles do better, for whatever reason. Most Buick guys go 455 anyway, since there really isn't much advantage in builsding a 350 over a 455.