Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1973 Olds 98

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Not being a wuss. Just being understanding. Not everyone is retired and has the luxury of spare time on their hands like you and I do. Gary already said he is making efforts to stay in contact with his SIL, and that's reasonable. This car is hardly the most pressing thing in her or Gary's life right now; it's simply the topic of an ongoing site discussion - that's fine.

BTW? Your comments: "Gary, grow the hell up" and "Allan, don't be such a wuss" are uncalled for and I think they are inappropriate comments to both of us. I don't see anywhere in MY or Gary's posts where those tones have been addressed to you.

Everything else you had to say was just fine and I get the point of all the questions.
Old December 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
BTW? Your comments: "Gary, grow the hell up" and "Allan, don't be such a wuss" are uncalled for
Maybe so, but, a) Gary does need to grow up, and b) your seeming need to jump to his defense like he was five years old and can't speak for himself was wussy.

P.S. Being retired has NOTHING to do with this. No one is complaining that Gary isn't posting often enough. But does his sister-in-law want to sell the car or not? If he or his sister is unresponsive in a timely way to questions, they're going to own that car for quite some time yet.

Oldspackrat mentioned a few posts back that he emailed her early on in all of this and got no response after four days. That's a red flag right there. If you're trying to sell a car and you ask people to contact you by email, you anticipate emails, you check your email regularly, you respond as quickly as possible (within 24 hours is appropriate) to any and all questions, and you do so graciously. The size of the potential market for a car like this is quite small, so you can't afford to be callous to anyone as that person might have been the one who would have bought your car, so you have to treat seriously any interest you receive. Nothing turns off a potential customer faster than a seller from whom it seems that you to have pry information out of.

Plus, it wouldn't hurt Gary to be a little pro-active. Instead of waiting for someone to ask the obvious question as to why, for example, a part of the carpet was cut out, he could have anticipated that the question would be asked and gotten an answer from his his sister-in-law right then when he had her on the phone and she mentioned the cut carpet. If there are things about your car that are odd, assume that people will have questions about those odd things, and have answers ready.

This ain't rocket science.
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:44 PM

I spoke to Brenda and she got a video today of the car running. I converted it to .wmv and it is still too large to upload hear. Unless you guys know of a way to upload the file here, you can send a PM with your email and I can email it to you.

The driver side back seat side window weather stripping had dry rotted and some moisture had gotten on that section of the carpet. They have since kept a tarp over the car. Her husband had cut the carpet out.

I will be away for the Christmas Holiday and will not have Internet access Saturday through Tuesday. I will check back tomorrow.

Thanks,
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:18 AM

I went back through the pictures and do not see the section that would be leaking. I spoke with her this morning, and she is going to take a picture today and send to me. I should be able to upload it later today.

Thanks
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Garypolds
I spoke to Brenda and she got a video today of the car running. I converted it to .wmv and it is still too large to upload hear. Unless you guys know of a way to upload the file here, you can send a PM with your email and I can email it to you.
I've never seen anyone upload a video to this site. I think the thing to do is to upload it to youtube and then provide a link to the video here. I've seen that done many times.
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Gary, Thank you I got the video of the car starting and running. Worked very well as a .wmv Don't know how long it was sitting like that, but it fired up pretty nice and ran pretty smooth. (for those who are curious, it's a very short vid - only about 10 seconds, but proves the engine is a runner) Sounds just like a BBO should when it's starting.
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:29 PM

Jaunty, Than you for the youtube information.

Here is the link to the car running:

Allan, thank you. She sent another video of the exhaust. I will get that uploaded this evening.

I received pictures from her this afternoon. I have looked at them and see some deterioration of the rubber around the door. I can't tell where water would have come into the car. I tried calling her and will try again this evening. Anyway, take a look and see what you think.

The mechanic in Wilkes County, where the car is parked told Brenda the radiator is not bad. It is the heater core that was bad, and has been bypassed. I apologize for the miss information. He also indicted the car could use a set of points and plugs (tuneup).

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0405.JPG (31.2 KB, 17 views)
IMG_0406.JPG (51.0 KB, 18 views)
IMG_0407.JPG (28.1 KB, 16 views)
IMG_0408.JPG (33.4 KB, 13 views)
IMG_0409.JPG (29.2 KB, 14 views)
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:18 PM

Sounds pretty good in that video. If it needs a tune-up, it's not urgent. I did a tune-up on my '73 Custom Cruiser, which has the identical engine, and it was pretty easy. I have not converted to electronic ignition. All of the parts needed (rotor, points, coil, etc.) were right there at my local auto parts store. With a tach and a dwell meter, I had the thing tuned up quickly.

New weatherstripping for the doors on these cars is also readily available.
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:10 PM

This link is the car running and the view from the rear.

Also, attaching the last two pictures that were taken today.

I spoke to Brenda and she could not find the leak today. She is going to try to find the leak this week. If she is unable to find it, I am planning to go down next weekend and see if we can find it. I asked Brenda to check with the mechanic and see if he has a lift in his garage. If so, we can possibly look under the car and get some pictures.

As I mentioned yesterday, I will not have Internet access Saturday through Tuesday. I will check back Wednesday the 26th.

Thanks,
Attached Images
IMG_0410.JPG (33.3 KB, 11 views)
IMG_0411.JPG (32.5 KB, 9 views)
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:03 PM

That is an awsome car. Good luck selling it. I think it is in pretty good shape for it's age. If I wasn't overseas for the next year I would also be tempted to suffer the wrath of my wife for such a fine Landyacht.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Jesse! Nice to see you're still lurking on the site. Merry Christmas my friend! Stay safe over there.
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:17 PM

As I mentioned earlier, my wife and I are going to look at the car Saturday. We are going to see if we can find the leak Brenda mentioned. If anyone has any questions or specific picture to be taken, please let me know. If the mechanic has a lift at his garage I will see if we can look underneath the car.

Thanks,
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Registered Luser

Best thing to do to find the leak is to sit inside while letting the hose sit on the roof. Don't spray the roof as the noise may be an obstacle to finding the leak. Romove the nozzle and just let it run at a low pressure.
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Best thing to do to find the leak is to sit inside while letting the hose sit on the roof. Don't spray the roof as the noise may be an obstacle to finding the leak. Romove the nozzle and just let it run at a low pressure.

Thank you for the advice. We will try this method.

Thanks,
Old March 8th, 2013, 04:00 PM

Car has sold. If anyone needs parts, please call Jim at 336 766-7845.

The engine has already been sold.

Thanks
Old March 8th, 2013, 05:06 PM

Damn I just saw this today. It runs!! I would have bought that in a second.

I'm the new guy in the neighorhood, 3 cars jammed in my driveway, way to get the neighbors to hate me
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:08 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Garypolds
Car has sold. If anyone needs parts, please call Jim at 336 766-7845.

The engine has already been sold.

Thanks
CONGRATS on the SALE Gary!! Whew! what an adventure...cool car; NO doubt! LOVE these Land yachts!!
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I had a sad feeling the car would end up as parts. On the + sides, Gary's SIL has some extra money, and the car is now living on through parts sales to other surviving Oldsmobiles. Sure wish the circumstances had worked out better from my end but I do have to listen to reason, especially when it spells it's name with a Mrs. in front of it....

Gary, thank you for posting the car on C.O. in spite of the comments that were generated.