Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1962 Garnet Mist Starfire Coupe $11,000 o.b.o.

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2011, 05:16 AM

1962 Garnet Mist Starfire Coupe $11,000 o.b.o.

. A review of N.A.D.A’s rating on the 62 Starfire Hardtop is supportive of the value of these beauties.
The low retail value today is $16,700.00

“Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".”

It has power steering, power brakes, power windows, power trunk release and a power driver’s seat. The speedometer reads 68828. The speedometer does not work.
I purchased this Starfire in May of 2010 from a family member who had it for twenty years. It was garage kept and driven infrequently. Repairs were made during that time:

Transmission rebuild
Mufflers
Paint
Master cylinder and brake hose/line replacement/ Brake shoes
Radial Tires
Carburetor replacement with proper Rochester model
Battery
Front end rebuild
Regular maintenance and repairs

I have replaced / repaired:

Pertronix electronic ignition conversion and coil
New spark plugs/ Wires
New timing chain and gears
Harmonic Balancer Remanufactured by Dale Manufacturing
New Water pump
New fuel pump (Original pump goes with car)
New front Motor Mount
New trunk felt carpeting
Perfect new dash pad
Replaced all vacuum lines, repaired all wiring gremlins, and replaced all dash bulbs. The heater and ventilation systems work as new. All interior courtesy lights work as well as the trunk release option in the glove box. The Radio and clock do not work.

The interior is in very good condition. Carpets still retain their classic metal ribbed floor mats. Headliner and door panels are in very good condition as well. All windows are clear and without cracks and function as designed.

As you can see by the pictures the car shows very well. In its present state it is a very good quality reliable driver. The paint buffs out nicely but has its imperfections. There is body filler in the usual wheel areas and lower edge of the passenger door. I tried to show in the pictures its flaws.
The car does not leak or smoke and shifts out nicely. The under carriage is undercoated.

It tracks straight down the road, brakes well, and is very responsive to the gas pedal. It instantly draws attention at all events because of its beauty and rarity.

I’ve tried to honestly depict this car to you in the same way I would want to know about a car that I might want to buy. Any omission/s by me are merely an oversight and do not imply any intent of nondisclosure.

Go to following link to see video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PAoMaTzDNk

THIS IS A 49 YEAR OLD CAR AND SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN A VERY GOOD CLASSIC USED VEHICLE. THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. I ENCOURAGE ANYONE INTERESTED TO COME AND INSPECT THE CAR.

A $1000 DEPOSIT IS DUE WITHIN 48 HOURS AND FULL PAYMENT WITHIN 7 DAYS BY CASHIERS CHECK OR CASH ONLY. NO PERSONAL CHECKS. SHIPPING IS BUYERS RESPONSIBILITY. CAR WILL NOT BE RELEASED UNTIL FUNDS ARE VERIFIED.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P6300049em.jpg (113.7 KB, 131 views)
P3010072 email.jpg (90.8 KB, 119 views)
P6300052em.jpg (105.9 KB, 84 views)
P6300055em.jpg (104.4 KB, 107 views)
P6300050em.jpg (90.2 KB, 85 views)
Old April 13th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Administrator

She's a beauty!! The price seems quite reasonable considering what it costs to bring a car to that kind of condition. Good luck!
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:07 PM

If only I had 11k floating around... I'd buy that in a heartbeat. What engine does it have? the 394? and since I'm not knowledgeable on the starfires, only knowing that I want one, what does Garnet Mist mean? Wikipedia got me nothing

Last edited by KRICHEN922; April 13th, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:22 PM

what does Garnet Mist mean? Garnet red, like the precious stone, and mist means metallic.
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:24 AM

a 62 Starfire is on my wish list. this one even has red interior like i want. i am just not ready to get one yet. it may be a good thing you are as far away as you are, this way i can't talk myself into it. looks great
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the positive response guys. Garnet Mist is the name of the color which was quite popular on the 62 Starfire.
Old April 16th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Lightbulb

I sent you a PM yesterday, but please give me call about your car -- I'm going to be out your way next week I think and I'd love to meet you and look it over. Just call my Cell whenever you get a chance; (913) 702-5663
I'd love to give your car a good home! Thanks! John
Old April 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Unhappy

Well, I really WANTED to buy your car and I would've given it a GOOD HOME; BUT unfortunately you apparently missed all my messages...and some Professional Ebay Sniper snarked it out from under all of us!
Originally Posted by 70 ctls
Thanks for the positive response guys. Garnet Mist is the name of the color which was quite popular on the 62 Starfire.
Old April 26th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Question

Anybody know or hear of where this "nice" Starfire wound up?? (Just curious as the owner never replied to any of my PM's on here or other queries and questions via Ebay...just seemed odd as he seemed to be a stand up guy and certainly seemed honest in his description of the car...BUT....dunno....????) Thanks.
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:15 PM

John,
I'm sorry that you did not get my reply. I don't know what a PM is but on April 17th I responded to you. I basically thanked you for your interest and explained that at that time I had recieved a deposit for the car from a local via ebay. I'm sorry for your loss but I in no way was avoiding you and/or the feellings I have for fellow Olds owners and lovers. The purchase happpened quickly and I had to honor the rules of ebay.

70ctls
Old April 27th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Thumbs up

Hey, GOOD to hear from you! (Sorry; a 'PM' is just a 'Private Message' off these forums...it's still sitting in your "Inbox" for messages on here...check it out.) Thanks for sending me something via Ebay too; but I've been having trouble w/ message notifications from there so I never saw a response...that seemed very odd based on your 'normal/usual' interactions on here so I sort of wondered...HOPE your car went to a good home; glad you did get it sold. (just sorry it wasn't me as the fortunate new owner! )

Thanks again for writing back.
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:59 PM

You know ........... with your passion I'm also sorry you were not the new owner. Oh well , who knows maybe when I sell my Convertible. On second thought .......... I'm not selling it www.oldsmobilesforever.com