Would this brake conversion set fit on my 69 Cutlass conv.

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Cutlass driver in Germany

Would this brake conversion set fit on my 69 Cutlass conv.

I am planning to change from drum to disk on the front. Now I found an interesting set on ebay. So I wonder if this is a fitting bolt on set, and what else I need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilwood-Forg...e1e708&vxp=mtr

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Tom
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:14 AM

That looks like an upgrade to an existing disc setup.
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:33 AM

According to the ad, it appears they have both disc and drum brake application, but the description is way too vague for me... I'd need more info from the supplier than what shows up in that listing. Have you contacted the seller and asked for more info?

The nice thing is there's no appreciable increase to the offset, which seems to be a stumbling block with so many of Wilwood's kits...
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:14 AM

Hey guys,
thank you for your reply, I just wrote to the seller, will await the answer and post it here.

Tom
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by craftsmen22
Let me know what you think.
I think that in Germany you'll have enough trouble getting replacement parts for stock brakes, never mind parts for a one-off aftermarket conversion. More to the point, those rotors aren't any larger than stock. The four piston calipers likely won't clear SSII/III wheels. I'd suggest a stock disk conversion. If you want to upgrade the calipers, get the new dual piston D52 calipers that are available at most aftermarket brake vendors.
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:41 AM

Hi Joe,
I guess you are one of the masters here ;-). Partwise, I'll have orders shipped to a friend and he shipps the surface to me, or one of my buddies comes over.
I have the SSII wheels (with bolt on center caps) and 15" tires, so I think my rims are 15" as well. Could you recommend a conversion set which has hall and may be below 1000$ but good performance?

Regards,

Tom
Old September 13th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Hangin' out...

Hi Joe,
I guess you are one of the masters here ;-). Partwise, I'll have orders shipped to a friend and he shipps the surface to me, or one of my buddies comes over.
I have the SSII wheels (with bolt on center caps) and 15" tires, so I think my rims are 15" as well. Could you recommend a conversion set which has hall and may be below 1000$ but good performance?

Regards,

Tom
This might work for you, if there is nothing available through Fusick.

http://inlinetube.com/disc%20brake%2...on/DBK6807.htm
Old September 13th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Hi Joe,

Regards,

Tom
Unfortunately, the 15" SSII/III wheels use the same center disk as the 14" versions, so the outer rim has a much larger "drop", which compromises clearance to disk brake calipers. The only disk brakes that are guaranteed to clear are the factory ones. Since these are the same brakes as Chevelles, EVERYONE sells them. The price is a function of the completeness of the kit and how much effort you want to put into scrounging parts or ordering from different vendors. You might want to review this thread.
Old September 14th, 2013, 11:24 AM

Hi Joe,

thanks for the thread, would you know about four piston calipers which fit under my 15" rims?

@henryk8398: the IT kit might be good, but I read lots of complaint about IT, so I rather look somewhere else

Thank you,

Tom
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Hi Joe,

thanks for the thread, would you know about four piston calipers which fit under my 15" rims?
The only ones guaranteed to fit are the factory style four piston calipers used in 1967-68. These calipers and the correct mounting brackets are now available as repros, but are about ten times as expensive as the 69-up single piston sliding calipers. Personally, I'd stick with the 69-up calipers. I doubt you'll notice a difference in braking.

Wilwood makes a two-piston D52 caliper that's a direct replacement for the 69-up caliper, but their website only says that it clears MOST 15" wheels. Unfortunately, the SSII/III wheels seem to be the perpetual exception. I don't have dimensions but the caliper looks a little larger than the factory single piston one.
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Wilwood makes a two-piston D52 caliper that's a direct replacement for the 69-up caliper, but their website only says that it clears MOST 15" wheels. Unfortunately, the SSII/III wheels seem to be the perpetual exception. I don't have dimensions but the caliper looks a little larger than the factory single piston one.

Hi Joe,
I'll contact wilwood to see what they say. One more question about the rim. I am sorry, but today I double checked what the tire says. I was wrong about 15" it is a Summit GT Radial Track with P245/60R14/98S, so I believe it is a 14" rim, does this make any difference to the things we discussed before? But the rim caps are screwn on, I could feel the bolts on the rims backside.

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
69 Cutlass rim small.jpg (89.0 KB, 12 views)
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

... P245/60R14/98S, so I believe it is a 14" rim...
Yeah, it kinda has to be.

...does this make any difference to the things we discussed before? But the rim caps are screwn on, I could feel the bolts on the rims backside.
Nope. No difference whatsoever. All factory SSII/III wheels (14" or 15", 6" wide or 7" wide) clear the factory disc brakes. Again, no guarantees on aftermarket brakes or calipers.