odd brake shoe issue!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2012, 05:22 PM

odd brake shoe issue!!!!!!!!!

whats up guy's... so im currently replacing the rear rotors, shoes, adjuster assembly, and cylinders on my 1965 cutlass.. but it seems i've run into a problem... the shoes that i ordered from summit are roughly 1/4 inch too wide and wont fit. they are noticeably wider than the old ones. so i went down to the local auto parts store to get some different ones. the guy brings me the exact same size that i had from summit. so after talking with my father in law he concluded that the book was wrong. he say's this happens all the time. someone entered the data in wrong. so now im stumped and have to solve this issue somehow. has anyone else experienced this? and if so where can i find the shoes i need? thanks
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by celodog
whats up guy's... so im currently replacing the rear rotors, shoes, adjuster assembly, and cylinders on my 1965 cutlass.. but it seems i've run into a problem... the shoes that i ordered from summit are roughly 1/4 inch too wide and wont fit. they are noticeably wider than the old ones. so i went down to the local auto parts store to get some different ones. the guy brings me the exact same size that i had from summit. so after talking with my father in law he concluded that the book was wrong. he say's this happens all the time. someone entered the data in wrong. so now im stumped and have to solve this issue somehow. has anyone else experienced this? and if so where can i find the shoes i need? thanks
First problem is that your car doesn't have "rotors", it has drums. The rear brakes are 9.5" x 2" Dad is right, the catalogs are frequently incorrect. Sounds like they keep giving you Vista Cruiser shoes. Your rear shoes should be Wagner or Raybestos 242s. Any parts store should be able to cross that number.

Note that it's also possible that the wrong shoes were installed on your car previously. Verify that the ones on the car now are, in fact, 2" wide and not smaller than that.
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:58 AM

sorry about the drum/rotor mix up, i just did the front disc conversion and it must have slipped out by mistake but i finally figured it out.. the old ones were indeed 2", and summit has 2" and 2.5" mixed up together in the parts list. i just didn't pay attention to the sizes when i ordered. i automatically assumed they were correct.. oh well, a lesson learned