front brake hoses

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM

front brake hoses

in the process of changing from drum to disc and i noticed my rubber lines had small cracks/damage so i just cut them to save time from freeing what looked like factory brake hoses.. now my question is can i just go to my local parts store and get factory lines to replace them even though i'm going from drum to disc or is there a difference?, if there is could i just ask for lets say '71 cutlass disc front hoses? every time i look for oreilly auto they don't list them for '65., also do i need to change existing hard lines or will i be fine to reuse the factory drum hard lines?
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by JeremyTA
in the process of changing from drum to disc and i noticed my rubber lines had small cracks/damage so i just cut them to save time from freeing what looked like factory brake hoses.. now my question is can i just go to my local parts store and get factory lines to replace them even though i'm going from drum to disc or is there a difference?, if there is could i just ask for lets say '71 cutlass disc front hoses? every time i look for oreilly auto they don't list them for '65., also do i need to change existing hard lines or will i be fine to reuse the factory drum hard lines?
Yes, the rubber hoses for calipers are different. You can get them from any parts store, just order hoses for a 1969-72 Cutlass with discs. Note that the brackets on the frame that the ends of the hoses fit into are different for disc hoses - the shape of the metal fitting on the hose is different and the hole in the bracket is shaped accordingly.
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM

how would i go about ordering the brackets?, i asked at oreilly auto but they said nothing comes up.
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:57 AM

Jeremy, I converted my 69 to 4 wheel disks from 4 wheel drums, I actually used the drum brackets, it isn't 100% correct looking, but worked fine. I actually bought my lines from getdiskbrakes the drum brake hard lines worked fine from the drum brake set up. I imagine you will be using a stock proportioning valve set up, under the master cylinder? so that will require different front lines I think.
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

how would i go about ordering the brackets?, i asked at oreilly auto but they said nothing comes up.
These brackets are not normal wear items, so auto parts stores don't carry them. All the tubing vendors (Inline, Classic, Right Stuff) as well as most repro parts sources (Year One, OPGI, etc) carry them. Go to Google, type in "disc brake hose bracket" (without the quotes) and click on the links that fit Chevelles.
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:36 AM

i'm only doing the front to disc right now and using a combination valve, my drum MC only has a single outlet to its current valve and the new MC has two outlets so i figured i would just make some hard lines to go from the MC out to the combo valve "ins", would that work?, thanks for the info only the brackets though, if i can't get my current setup to work i will check my OPGI catalog thanks guys!
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:20 PM

so i figured that out by finding the lines included with my kit lol, beers + jack & Coke make stupid questions, its always trouble when my cousin joins me in the garage..

since my combo valve is master/booster mounted and i need to run two 3/8"-24 to front and one 9/16"-18 lines to rear axle, can i just make/buy extension hard lines to go from the combo valve the existing lines?, if thats the case then all i have left is to bleed the system.
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM

anybody know?, this is all thats holding me back.
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

since my combo valve is master/booster mounted and i need to run two 3/8"-24 to front and one 9/16"-18 lines to rear axle, can i just make/buy extension hard lines to go from the combo valve the existing lines?, if thats the case then all i have left is to bleed the system.
Yes, that's all you have to do. Eliminate the stock distribution block and run the lines from the combo valve outlets to the rubber hoses.
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:21 PM

i meant run to the existing hard line that are currently on the distribution block and just use a union so i don't have to bend new hard lines for the whole car
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:22 PM

i should have specified in the first place, sorry
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

i meant run to the existing hard line that are currently on the distribution block and just use a union so i don't have to bend new hard lines for the whole car
Other than more potential leak points, the brakes neither know nor care if the lines are one piece or twenty. Just be aware that the flare nuts on the lines going into the distribution block may not be standard size. GM used flare nuts with different threads to prevent incorrect installation on the assembly line. You may have trouble finding a correct union.
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:14 PM

ok, thank you very much! I have never done anything with hard lines before so i just wanted to be 100% clear about what can and can't be done you the man joe!