Cutlass pulling left

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Cutlass pulling left

Im working on a 71 Cutlass Supreme with front drums . Im having a problem withthe car pulling left which leads me to the right front drum thinking its not working right.The star adjuster will move both ways the adjusting lever does not touch it similar to this thread --
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...rum-issue.html

but its the return spring (little red spring under the secondary shoe) that seems to have too much tension (too high) and is pushing the lever away from the star. Am I observing this right? Should the self adjustment lever be on the star at all times (like I have always seen on rear drums) or is it just when backing up.
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM

Hey, fixed it. The little rod from the adjusting lever to the ancor was bent a little and not making enough tension on the adjusting lever.
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Sometimes it is something simple. A person only has to make an effort. Nice work.
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:35 PM

there is no greater satisfaction than the satisfaction of a problem solved
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Ok, I got it all back together but it is still pulling im thinking its a brake hose but there is fluid there when I open the bleeder screw.The wheel cylinder is new and working but must not be enough pressure. On a better note I got it running really nice with a little carb tune and tightening the carb bolts and changing a few vacuum lines so thats good. BMW could learn a thing or 2 about a fine running car from an Olds V8
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:48 PM

I've often had to retension the adjusting rod that runs from the anchor to the self adjuster lever so it touches the star wheel on GM 9.5 inch brakes. See it alot, and the car I just bought has that problem on one of the 4 wheels. As far as the pulling goes, you may be on the right track in suspecting a hose especially if it pulls when first pressing the pedal, and then seems to stop evenly after the initial lunge to one side. Hoses are cheap and collapse internally blocking some if not most of the fluid flow. Also, if one drum is machined larger that the other, that can cause a pull, any contamination on the linings, or one side adjusted significantly tighter or loose than the other.
Good luck.