Cheap Disc Conversion

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Cheap Disc Conversion

I have my front end apart replacing all the bushings on my '68 Cutlass Supreme and was pushing the idea around of converting to disc brakes in the process. However, do no look forward to spending 12-1600 dollars for the conversion.

Curious what I could go buy in a salavage yard and rebuild and restore to put in my car and what I can use that is already on my car. Such as the Master Cylinder. Would I be able to buy a Power Booster and use my manual MC? Any cars out there that may be abondant in the salvage yards I could pull things off to bolt up to my car with a little modifications. I have heard an S-10 pickup disc brake system is very similar. Any takers?
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Wilson05
I have my front end apart replacing all the bushings on my '68 Cutlass Supreme and was pushing the idea around of converting to disc brakes in the process. However, do no look forward to spending 12-1600 dollars for the conversion.

Curious what I could go buy in a salavage yard and rebuild and restore to put in my car and what I can use that is already on my car. Such as the Master Cylinder. Would I be able to buy a Power Booster and use my manual MC? Any cars out there that may be abondant in the salvage yards I could pull things off to bolt up to my car with a little modifications. I have heard an S-10 pickup disc brake system is very similar. Any takers?
S-10 spindles work great on G-body cars, but they are NOT compatible with the 64-72 A-body cars. Try this (yes, I know some of the links need to be updated):

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sk-brakes.html