Brakes locking up after getting warm

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2019, 12:43 AM
JC

Non adjustable booster push rod on my Delco booster.

For reference, my setup

If anyone interested, here is my restomod thread from 2012 on...I will be updating it this week with work done over the past 5 months.

What's hilarious about this car is it started out as a general decent driver fix up to a full out complete restore...how did that happen again?! The MAWs just took over and had it's way with me...

71' Cutlass S frame off restore

Last edited by JCMC64; May 4th, 2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old May 4th, 2019, 01:28 AM
Running On Empty

Better to have just a little bit of slack/distance between brake booster push rod & MC piston pushrod - that 1/16” you already read about. So, error on being a tad looser than too tight. Recall you had a little bit of play in your brake pedal assembly and shimming to the point of no play might be a good point. I’d probably go with ~5mm-10mm shim. Better to ensure the MC piston push rod can return to its normal position with no preload so it can properly relieve pressure inside the MC.
Old May 4th, 2019, 07:55 AM

Yes your booster has a non-adjustable push-rod, it's the same re-pop with the "Delco" stamping that I have. The rod does come out,you'll have to carefully pull it straight out with pliers,then you can trim it down. I didn't want to use shims or washers as dirt or water might be able to get in between the two. It took a couple of tries (trimming & testing,you obviously don't want to take too much off & end up with too much free-play.
Old May 4th, 2019, 10:23 AM
JC

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Recall you had a little bit of play in your brake pedal assembly and shimming to the point of no play might be a good point.
Again, I did read in several places there should be 1/4" free play at the pedal, including Jegs booster install pdf...no?

Originally Posted by rob1960
Yes your booster has a non-adjustable push-rod, it's the same re-pop with the "Delco" stamping that I have. The rod does come out,you'll have to carefully pull it straight out with pliers,then you can trim it down. I didn't want to use shims or washers as dirt or water might be able to get in between the two. It took a couple of tries (trimming & testing,you obviously don't want to take too much off & end up with too much free-play.
I had my son press the brake pedal so the push rod could come out. I will use this method if and when I do your trim idea as I also read this technique too along the research road.

For now the 1mm shim worked. Took it for a good drive today and no dragging. I will consider going another 1 mm just for good measure as Chief suggests... though I'm not thinking I need 5mm at this point.

Big thx to all and hope this helps out the next guy who comes across this problem.
Old May 4th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by JCMC64
...1/4" free play at the pedal...
Correct