1979 Olds 98 Regency dash brake light and squishy pedal

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2023, 04:24 PM

I bought a low mile 1979 Olds 98 Regency on Bring a trailer 3 weeks ago. I have had it two weeks. Initially it drove great with good brakes. About a week ago, it started to have soft squishy brake pedal and the dash warning light would come on sporadically. Master cylinder fluid was good when car arrived by hauler and is still the same. I will take it to local mechanic Tuesday morning but thought I would share the issue with you experts since I am new to the board after not owning an Oldsmobile for many years. I owned a bunch of them starting with 1977 Olds Omega Brougham (my first new car) and even a 1983 Regency Brougham before they quit making rear wheel drive models. When brake pedal is squishy, you feel it try to stop part way down and then pedal breaks loose to go further down and at same time you hear a "whoosh" sound Presumably vacuum but not sure since I am not a mechanic
Old March 3rd, 2023, 04:40 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by olds98owner
I bought a low mile 1979 Olds 98 Regency on Bring a trailer 3 weeks ago. I have had it two weeks. Initially it drove great with good brakes. About a week ago, it started to have soft squishy brake pedal and the dash warning light would come on sporadically. Master cylinder fluid was good when car arrived by hauler and is still the same. I will take it to local mechanic Tuesday morning but thought I would share the issue with you experts since I am new to the board after not owning an Oldsmobile for many years. I owned a bunch of them starting with 1977 Olds Omega Brougham (my first new car) and even a 1983 Regency Brougham before they quit making rear wheel drive models. When brake pedal is squishy, you feel it try to stop part way down and then pedal breaks loose to go further down and at same time you hear a "whoosh" sound Presumably vacuum but not sure since I am not a mechanic.

Thank you fellow Olds lovers.
You're going to get more specific & tailored responses to your issue along with a series of helpful posts if you instead, take your (above) post and create your own "thread" (rather than piggy-backing on this thread which is five years old). (1) Simply copy your issue as stated above, and post it into your own thread (by creating a thread); and, (2) after you've done that, simply return to this (above) post you created and delete that post. Good Luck!
Old March 3rd, 2023, 04:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
You're going to get more specific & tailored responses to your issue along with a series of helpful posts if you instead, take your (above) post and create your own "thread" (rather than piggy-backing on this thread which is five years old). (1) Simply copy your issue as stated above, and post it into your own thread (by creating a thread); and, (2) after you've done that, simply return to this (above) post you created and delete that post. Good Luck!
Or, wait for me to do it...

To the OP, if you have a squishy pedal, BRAKE light on, but no loss of fluid, the most likely cause is that the master cylinder is leaking internally. Get a new M/C.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 04:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Or, wait for me to do it...
Old March 3rd, 2023, 05:28 PM

yes, I think it is the master cylinder. Car goes to nearby mechanic on Tuesday morning for some work to get it back on the road, I hope.
Old March 3rd, 2023, 07:01 PM

Sounds like a bad master cylinder; but, due to the age of the vehicle every brake component should be thoroughly inspected. Hang on to the MC removed if it is original or get it rebuilt and reinstalled.

Good luck!!!