1972 Cutlass can't get brake fluid to wheel cylinders

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2022, 11:46 AM

1972 Cutlass can't get brake fluid to wheel cylinders

Hey all, Old car here, not run in a decade, But 350 started right up after I did the normal things. So brakes are next so I can test Tranny.
I got a new master cylinder and bled it. So far I can get fluid to come out of only one brake line (front driver side - closest to MC. I tried using the brake suction hand Vac to get fluid to passenger front and rear. No dice, dry as a bone. Would it be correct to think that somehow the distribution block about two feet underneath the master cylinder is blocked and corroded enough to stop the flow brake fluid. I don't have any leaks under the car and under the drums actually look fairly good. Suggestion on the next step. I am thinking I should take the lines off the distribution block and replace it. Thanks for quick reply.

​​​
Old August 19th, 2022, 12:14 PM
same but different

If it were me, I'd first make sure the bleeder fittings are clean of rust, debris. Remove and run a small wire through them. If that fails to move fluid, see if you can crack the brake line at each side of the rear cylinders and get fluid to move there. Then move on to another plan.
Old August 19th, 2022, 12:17 PM
72Cutlass S

Take the left steel line loose from the rubber line and see if you get fluid there. The old rubber lines are known to collapse internally and block flow. If you get flow there move on to the rear line. However if there was a loss of pressure to the rear brakes the valve in the distribution block will close and block flow to the rears. There is info on the net on how to center the valve and bleed the brakes without it closing again.
Old August 19th, 2022, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the advice yes I have took all of the bleeder valves off of the back of the drums and blew through them with my mouth easily.
Old August 19th, 2022, 12:21 PM

Sounds good I will remove the soft lines from the hard lines on the front and see if I have fluid coming out of the hard line
Old August 19th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've actually had a situation where there was a rust plug in the wheel cylinder that wouldn't let fluid flow even with the bleeder screw completely removed.