1972 98 rear drums - installing new shoes

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2023, 02:12 PM

1972 98 rear drums - installing new shoes

Hi All,

I did the front discs (all new rotors/hubs/calipers/pads) and jumped in on the rear drums next. Never done drums - have done dozens of rotor/calipers... I figured, "how tough could it be?".

I took a bunch of pictures before removing shoes ...but now realizing I did not take enough as I am not sure how it all goes back together. I've searched the CSM but oddly didn't find a nice diagram showing how things go back together. Watching video after video but none show my exact setup. If anyone can share some DIY video or pictures of how it's supposed to go back - that would be great. Thank you.

Jay
Old May 17th, 2023, 02:29 PM

A few questions right out of the gate:

The new gold "cup" (red arrow) that I believe holds one of the ..."arms" in place, do I just use a big set of channel locks and pop/squeeze it into the new shoe?
Not sure what the name is of the ..."bar" (yellow arrow) that goes side to side between the shoes, but not sure if I have it going in correctly. Is it backwards, upside down, reversed? Not 100% sure where on the shoe(s) it is supposed to be positioned.
In the other picture of that same bar, the spring, not sure if I have the orientation of that little curled tale correctly positioned....

Sorry I'm out to lunch on this - again, (at 57 years old) this is my first drum brake job.

Jay

Old May 17th, 2023, 02:34 PM

I found out the "bar" is a Strut. The gold cup is a Tube Washer...
Old May 17th, 2023, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Just for a future reference, do one side at a time. This way you can refer to the mirror image, opposite side, if you get stuck.
Old May 17th, 2023, 04:47 PM

Success. I think. Got it back together. Weird how tight the drums are going back on. With the wheel/tire mounted it will not spin forward. It "rotates" backwards but doesn't spin freely. Parking brake is not on. The adjuster was fully closed.... Maybe I did something wrong? Or maybe it just needs to drive a mile or two?

Old May 17th, 2023, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Just for a future reference, do one side at a time. This way you can refer to the mirror image, opposite side, if you get stuck.
Gooood idea. I had the other side still somewhat together, but, certainly not enough to provide the answers to my questions above. Livin' and Learnin'!!! Thanks
Old May 18th, 2023, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by jpilk99
A few questions right out of the gate:

The new gold "cup" (red arrow) that I believe holds one of the ..."arms" in place, do I just use a big set of channel locks and pop/squeeze it into the new shoe?
Not sure what the name is of the ..."bar" (yellow arrow) that goes side to side between the shoes, but not sure if I have it going in correctly. Is it backwards, upside down, reversed? Not 100% sure where on the shoe(s) it is supposed to be positioned.
In the other picture of that same bar, the spring, not sure if I have the orientation of that little curled tale correctly positioned....

Sorry I'm out to lunch on this - again, (at 57 years old) this is my first drum brake job.

Jay

I think that loop on the strut spring goes on the shoe side, not towards the center.
Old May 18th, 2023, 05:23 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by jpilk99
Success. I think. Got it back together. Weird how tight the drums are going back on. With the wheel/tire mounted it will not spin forward. It "rotates" backwards but doesn't spin freely. Parking brake is not on. The adjuster was fully closed.... Maybe I did something wrong? Or maybe it just needs to drive a mile or two?
Try backing off on the parking brake cable adjustment.
You should be able to turn the wheel by hand in either direction. You can re-adjust the parking brake cable after you " drive a mile or two".