1958 Oldsmobile disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:37 PM

1958 Oldsmobile disc brakes

Hi Looking around for info about upgrading the brakes in my 1958 oldsmobile.
I did a search on this forum and the net and didn't come up with much.
Can anyone suggest a suitable disc brake upgrade kit ?
I would like to keep the master cylinder/vacuum booster under the toe board.

Failing to find suitable disc kit , I will be rebuilding the bendix treadle vac brakes.

Cheers
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:39 PM

Hi Joesen. You might try "Scarebird"! WWW.Scarebird.com. I am building a '57 and I think they r the same. They make a kit for the rear, not sure about the front. Let me know how you r doing. Charly9g.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:47 PM

Thanks, I just checked it out but they do not list it on their website. Sent them a mail anyways , hopefully its something they can provide in the future.

Are you upgrading to a modern master/booster setup? If so, will you be keeping it under the toeboard?

From what I have gathered, the treadle vac setup can be unreliable at times, so trying to weigh up the cost of rebuilding to cost of buying a modern system.

Cheers
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Check out this thread...I did it on '55 - I'd imagine a lot of it is similar on the '58

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1955-olds.html
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Olds Dad
Check out this thread...I did it on '55 - I'd imagine a lot of it is similar on the '58

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1955-olds.html
Thanks! Looks very similar so far , ill get stuck into the reading it all tomorrow.
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:43 PM

Hi Joesen. I am upgrading to a whole new front suspension from TCI. Thunderbird power steering, disc brakes, etc. I'm putting a 9" booster w/a corvette master cylinder on the firewall. Probably using the "Scarebird" rear system if the lugnut pattern matches the front. Let me know how you progress. Thanks and good luck. Charly9g, wfg4u@aol.com.
Old June 16th, 2013, 04:34 PM

Thanks for all the input guys.
Olds dad, I really like how you did this conversion. You kept it very close to original which is what I am after.
I would go this way if I didnt have to modify the pedal. As this car has not been registered before I have to take it over the pits for a full inspection and if they pick up on the mod, it would mean getting an engineer involved which = big $$$. Once she is running and regoed though its game on!
I have purchased full rebuild kit for brakes + booster, wheel bearings and front suspension/steering from kanter so just waiting for them to arrive.
I have started to clean out the treadle vac ready for a hone. I will post it up on another thread when Im done rebuilding it.

Charly9g, thanks for the info, would be good to see how your set up progresses. Those weld in IFS units seem like real good value for money. Would give you much better stance and much more suspension adjustment especially at lower ride heights.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:26 PM

I ended up getting a local mob Perth Brake Parts in Welshpool WA (Australia) to rebuild the booster and cylinder. They did a great job and was a good price.

Some before and afters

1VkOC7b.jpg

wsgUVzd.jpg

0IUGF0L.jpg

0IUGF0L.jpg

Ga0ICGZ.jpg

ditEqGM.jpg

Cj84Q4l.jpg

vCGRIor.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0IUGF0L.jpg (34.1 KB, 0 views)