Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

While Talking About Mirrors - 72 Rear View Mirror R & R

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM

While Talking About Mirrors - 72 Rear View Mirror R & R

The rear view mirror on my convertible is de silvered - does anyone know a good place you can send the whole thing to that will remove the mirror - repair & replace the mirror and reassemble? Also, I read somewhere that the 72 RVM are supposed to be black on the side facing the front of the car - is this correct? Mine is, but looking at the thing it just seems wrong.
Old August 28th, 2011, 07:18 PM

yes I think in 72 they made it black because the stainless reflected the sun into the car in front of you.

I do not know anyone who refurbishes the mirror assembly but you can take the glass out yourself, patience and some mild heat from a hair dryer or hot water will soften up the rubber. pop the glass out, pack it well and send it to a mirror place in South Holland Illinois and they will re-silver it. Mine looks great but have yet to put it back in.

Silver Service, Inc.
16120 Vandustrial Lane
South Holland, Illinois 60473
708-331-5501

go to this link for more how-to

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226578
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
yes I think in 72 they made it black because the stainless reflected the sun into the car in front of you.

I do not know anyone who refurbishes the mirror assembly but you can take the glass out yourself, patience and some mild heat from a hair dryer or hot water will soften up the rubber. pop the glass out, pack it well and send it to a mirror place in South Holland Illinois and they will re-silver it. Mine looks great but have yet to put it back in.

Silver Service, Inc.
16120 Vandustrial Lane
708-331-5501

Thanks so much for the help and link. It seems like the 72 is also slightly different in how the rubbery part that goes around the perimeter is bound to the black back of the mirror. Mine doesnt seem to want to come loose even with heating etc, but I think I can still pry it down enough to get the mirror out and then reinstall after the resilvering.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard

Silver Service, Inc.
16120 Vandustrial Lane
708-331-5501

Steve - thanks again for the help - sending the mirror off today.