Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Quarter Panel Advice

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2015, 05:00 AM
Rodney

Quarter Panel Advice

I have finally reunited the body tub and the frame on my '72 442 convertible project and am now moving on to replacing the quarter panels (which have lots of bondo and the normal rust holes behind the wheels. This is my first experience with quarter panel replacement so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I've studied the car carefully and decided not to attempt full quarter replacement because the door and trunk gaps were good and I don't want to mess these up. I've purchased a pair of quarter skins and plan to flange and overlap the panels along the upper body line and at the door jamb, and then plug weld where the factory used spot welds inside the wheel openings, at the trunk drop offs and behind the bumper at the rear. This will preserve the door and trunk gaps and the sharp body line along the top of the quarter would be less likely to warp when I tack weld the panels together.

Here is where I need advice and help. What is the best way to attached the quarter skin to the rocker panel (between the wheel opening and the door jamb)? It looks like the factory quarter folded inward and was spot welded or plug welded to the top of the rocker panel. I don't know how to replicate that with the MIG torch, and I don't think the replacement skin is shaped properly to fit the same way the factory did. Should I leave a small lip in the existing quarter and flange it to overlap the replacement skin - like I'm doing along the top? Here's a pic:

Quarter cut away, I still need to drill out the spot welds in the wheel openings and remove the old metal from the outer quarter.

Close up of the area in question. Should I flange the metal above the rocker and overlap the replacement skin?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC08410.jpg (161.3 KB, 316 views)

Last edited by cdrod; June 30th, 2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old June 30th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

You can use panel bond on the rocker to quarter. I did that on mine . Once i put the panel on i used screws to hold it in place and just left em in for good measure. Out of site and cant be seen . This is assuming you will fold the bottom of the quarter. That part of the skin comes flat . what i did was put the skin on where it was gonna be flanged then measured where i needed to fold and folded it with some flat pliers. It seems simple but it takes measuring and making sure your fold is right. Once i marked the edges i used tape as a refrence to fold along the line and not mess it up.

Last edited by coppercutlass; June 30th, 2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old July 18th, 2015, 12:48 PM

If you are still needing help, I would flange (or not) and set the new panel inside that area and braze or weld. Looks like you have enough stock metal to do this. That way you still have the factory weld there.
Old July 19th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Rodney

Olwreckman, Thanks for your comments. I'm pretty sure I will do a flanged overlap joint at the top of the panel (very close to where the quarter panel folds over the top), and also at the rocker panel. I will use plug welds at the trunk drop-offs and in the wheel openings. I haven't yet figured out the best way to weld at the door jamb; butt weld or flanged overlap.
Old July 20th, 2015, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by olwreckman
If you are still needing help, I would flange (or not) and set the new panel inside that area and braze or weld. Looks like you have enough stock metal to do this. That way you still have the factory weld there.
i would also do this.flange the edge to fit behind whats left above that seam.i would drill some holes in that and some sheet metal screws to pull it together tight then weld.pull the screws and weld holes shut.