Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Quarter Panel

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Quarter Panel

Anyone have any ideas or contacts on where to find an original rear quarter panel for a '68 Cutlass. I have heard it is a nightmare to match up an aftermarket panel, and with no welding or body work experience I want to make it as easy as possible even if it does cost me a little more. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks Justin
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Gary

Hey Justin why dont you try Desert Valley Auto http://www.dvap.com/, I put after market quarters on my 72 and they came out really good.
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM

Thanks for that link. Looks like they have a lot of nice stuff. However, I am still out of luck. They didn't have one either.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Your going to have to weld and do bodywork whether you get an aftermarket or an original. Check westcoastsheetmetal.com.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Wilson05
Anyone have any ideas or contacts on where to find an original rear quarter panel for a '68 Cutlass. I have heard it is a nightmare to match up an aftermarket panel, and with no welding or body work experience I want to make it as easy as possible even if it does cost me a little more. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks Justin
Try this link. I think you will find exactly what you need.

http://www.tamrazsparts.com/index.ph...29_408_409_511
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
Try this link. I think you will find exactly what you need.

http://www.tamrazsparts.com/index.ph...29_408_409_511
Uh, no. Those are the Chinesium repros. They are not the original full quarters that were asked for. Again, no one makes repro full quarters. An original NOS 1968 quarter was a no-sale/reserve not met on ebay recently for a very large amount of money.
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:36 PM

hey i used goodmark panels but we trimmed all the corners and side marckers off and used the originals left on the car we welded on the side surface instead of cutting at the seam. like at the top of the quarter we game doen the side about a inch or two cut the quarter on the car going around every vital feature true to the ariginal quarter and then the same aon the after market quarter so you have a perfit fit because its your cuts your welding to geather not the manufacturer's look at my pictures in majer projects forum under my resteration.
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Uh, no. Those are the Chinesium repros. They are not the original full quarters that were asked for. Again, no one makes repro full quarters. An original NOS 1968 quarter was a no-sale/reserve not met on ebay recently for a very large amount of money.
Actually, they are made/stamped out in Tiawan, as are many auto body parts including some that are shipped in OEM boxes. It's a bit like buying a tool from the Snap on Truck, which is actually Stanley Tools, all of which are manufactured in Tiawan.
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
........ a tool from the Snap on Truck, which is actually Stanley Tools ........
Sez here, that they are competitors.

Originally Posted by Forbes.com
........ Stanley's direct competitors, according to Revere Data, include Brink's Home Security Holdings (nyse: CFL - news - people ) in the security business and in tools, Snap-on ........
Norm