Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Problems repro Core Support

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2012, 02:17 PM

Problems repro Core Support

Was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the reproduction core support. I have a 1970 Cutlass with A/C - original 4 row radiator, original top cover plate. My radiator will not fit in the bottom saddles of the core support. They are too narrow, look like they would be for a three row radiator. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and how was it fixed ? Also had to drill the hole out for the hood release handle. Otherwise it looks good and bolts up fine
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pacecar
Was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the reproduction core support. I have a 1970 Cutlass with A/C - original 4 row radiator, original top cover plate. My radiator will not fit in the bottom saddles of the core support. They are too narrow, look like they would be for a three row radiator. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and how was it fixed ? Also had to drill the hole out for the hood release handle. Otherwise it looks good and bolts up fine
It's is not uncommon for aftermarket parts to need some trimming. Can you take the bottom saddles from the old core support and weld them to the new one? If not, I would imagine that you could make some without too much effort.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:52 AM

I believe they are also making reproduction lower saddles for the 4 core radiators. They came out when they made the reproduction top plates. Easier than drilling out the old ones but I suppose if they are not rusty it's cheaper to reuse them. But then this is the first I heard of a reproduction core support. Shows how out of touch I am.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:08 AM

The 4 core saddles are reproduced. I see a couple of vendors with them I got rid of the old core support without realizing the saddles are different. Now spot welding in the new saddles. just so you know if anyone decides to upgrade to a 4 core radiator or restore a car with a 4 core that you need to switch the saddles.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:05 PM

More Problems

Got the new saddles in but the height appears to be a good 3/4 to an inch off. The top cover plate does not sit flush with the top of the radiator support when the original 4 core radiator is installed. It is not an issue of having new rubbers. Was wondering if anyone else has had a bad experience with the repro radiator supports ?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:15 PM

Sorry to hear your still having trouble with it. Where do you think the problem lies? Can you share pictures with us? I've got a 1970 with the factory 4 row but it's all assembled. Can I take any pictures/measurements that would help you?

Does anybody here have a factory piece that's out of the car they can get details from?

John
Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:37 PM

Yes thanks - if you could measure from the bottom where the radiator sits to the top of the radiator support where the cover plate mounts I would appreciate it. Everything including the radiator is over at the shop. I did not have the means to weld the new saddles in place. All the parts suppliers only show one support for all models. The assembly manual shows two different part numbers.

thanks Brad
Old August 27th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Don't know if anyone else has purchased a repro radiator support but there are some problems that I had that I would like to pass on. Looking at what is available, it seems all are described as fitting all Cutlass models. But you have to repalce the lower radiator saddles for a 4 core radiator. These are reproduced and available. Cut out the ones on the core support, fit and weld the wider saddles. Next problem is the lower attaching mounts for the shroud. These have to be removed and welded further back for the shroud. Lots of work for a repro part that already costs around $400. Just glad I was not further aong in re-assembling the front end.