Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Pinchweld molding install question

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Pinchweld molding install question

I am ready to re-install the pinchweld molding on my 68 442 convert. When I took it off, it was held on by 5 small screws and alot of adhesive. I bought new pinchweld molding clips, but need to know where they go. Is there a special pattern or spacing for them. The kit came with 10 clips. Do I still use the 5 screws to secure the molding along with the clips? Do I use any silicon adhesive? Pictures would help.
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:50 PM

You should probably find someone with a '68 Assembly Manual and have them check it.

Definitely no need for silicone or any other type of adhesive on this trim piece.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Randy C.

This is a tough one to try to explain, and it's been over 3 years since I did mine so my memory is fading. But I'll try.

First, as I recall, there are 9 clips. They correspond in positioning with the holes you see on the underside of the 2-piece molding - there should be 9 holes total in the two pieces. I don't recall what held the clips in place, but I'm thinking there should be something. There were two clips on each side, and 5 clips on the back side, with the middle clip on the back side being very near where the two pieces slide into each other.

After I positioned the clips, the two molding pieces just snapped right onto the clips. Be sure you've got the molding pieces married together on the back side.

After the moldings were in place, the 5 screws went through 5 of the 9 holes I talked about earlier, which also went through a hole in the clip at that position, and threaded into a hole in the body of the car. If you number the holes in the moldings from the driver side to the passenger side 1 through 9, the screws went into positions 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8.

I lowered my top about half way to see if I could get any pictures, but the best you see is the screw head going through the trim piece. The clips are completely hidden by the molding pieces.

When I took this apart (and also when I took the '69 convertible pinchweld molding off), there was no sealant or adhesive of any kind in there.

I wish I could explain this better, but that's about all I recall. I do remember that, once the molding snapped onto the clips, it was a snug fit. I couldn't see a reason to install the 5 screws but I did anyway because there were there when I took it apart.

Hope this helps.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds68442rear.jpg (45.5 KB, 28 views)
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Randy,

Good info. That's what I was looking for. The assenbly manual doesn't show the clip arrangement. Maybe in the Fisher Body manual, but I don't have that one. Your explanation was good enough for me. Now I know where they go. Kind of thought they went that way, but you confirmed it.

Thanks

Charlie