Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Outside body panel molding

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2022, 06:08 PM
roy341

Outside body panel molding

I have a 1967 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I am going to repaint the car and I am removing the molding. As I am removing the moldings, some of them are rotted out. What I mean is that the molding looks great but when removed, on the inner side there are studs that connect to the door or body panel. These studs are rusted. This material is pot metal so welding the studs back on is not an option. Is there a fix for this or does anyone make body bolding kit for a 1967? Really appreciate any and all responses.

I am trying to find or repair the molding that runs from back to front on the bottom of the car.
Old July 9th, 2022, 06:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Unfortunately, repairing pot metal is a specialized skill that is very labor intensive, and priced accordingly. I've had great results from Qual-Krom in Erie, PA. They've repaired broken pot metal trim and emblems, reattached or even rebuilt broken mounting posts, filled pits, and replated perfectly. As you might expect, this is NOT an inexpensive operation. If you can find better originals, you'll probably be money ahead, but there is an alternative if you cannot.
Old July 9th, 2022, 06:34 AM
roy341

I bought this dang car 20 years ago. I am a school teacher and I have been dreaming and trying to get to this point in time to be able to bring this 1967 Cutlass to the glory that I have in my head. I first met you on 442.com many years ago. I just wanted to take a second and say thank you for your advise and how happy I am to see that you are still helping. I will call the people in Erie PA.

Thank you.