Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2010, 04:19 PM

fiberglass

hello im new here lookin for help on my 73 delta 88.body work its around my wheel wells.the wheel well itself are pretty good.not on the quarters.i just dont know what to do should i fiberglass it.i have a welder wire fed mig.but im not that experianced and how can i fab the peice i need i dont want to disturb the crease.and also in my trunk lid what do i do with this see pic its rusty inside it .this is my first project please any info would be great thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
my project 001.JPG (106.4 KB, 11 views)
my project 008.JPG (126.1 KB, 6 views)
my project 009.JPG (124.6 KB, 9 views)
my project 010.JPG (121.0 KB, 7 views)
my project 015.JPG (121.0 KB, 9 views)
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:32 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I believe that fiberglass is at best a temporary fix. If you can't do it yourself have someone weld in new metal. From personal experance you will find more rust when you start to dig in. I have rust in my cutlass and as I get time and money I am replacing fenders and haveing new metal welded in. It is going to take time and don't get discouraged. If the car is drivable drive it and have fun with it. I take my cutlass to car shows with rust and different color body parts. It is still lots of fun and everybody knows what is involved and probably has pictures of there car that looks worse than yours when they started.

Larry
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Highly recommend you DO NOT use fiberglass to repair those damaged, rusted areas. You need to cut out the rusted area(s), all of it, and replace with new metal. It is a time consumning process, but in the long run, well worth it. Check out your local community college to see if they have a nighttime/weekend autobody shop course. Excellent place to learn, and they have the right equipment, and great teachers. The '68 wagon you are looking at here was a $200 car when I initially bought it. It took over 4 years of Friday evening/Saturday morning classes to get it to this point. You would not believe the difference in the way the car looks now/then! Fiberglass will cover the rusty areas, but will continue to rust behind it, basically creating more problems. Keep us posted on your progress, and DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:31 PM

yeh deep down i know its not the way to go.i just didnt have any other plan ive been thinkin on this for awhile now.so what do you suggest on the trunk do you see through that cut out or whatever.the rust inside there